Quick GPS fix

TomTom Model(s)
Start 25
For about a week, now, I have been unable to install GPS updates. My monitor screen shows contradictory messages; on the one hand it says,"Done", which I have always taken to mean that the installation has been completed corerectly, on the other, and at the same time, it says, "Some of your items dfidn't install", and "Keep your device connected". My Start 25 screen says, "Something has gone wrong...... Check your computer for more information". But I cannot find "more information".

Any advice, please?:

The ephemeris (Quick GPS Fix) data shouldn't be being cached, but it might be a good idea to flush everything out of the cache just to be sure.

Disconnect your 25.
From the systray icon, right click and hit the 'gear' button. Select "Settings".
Select the "Cache" tab, and click the "Empty the cache" button.
Reconnect your 25 and see if the job is offered again, and let us know the status.

If that doesn't do it, TomTom will have to look at the job queue for your unit from their end.

Thanks, canderson, for your response; I have followed your instructions, but, unfortunately, the problem remains.

I noticed that when I clicked on "Empty the cache" that the print faded but there was nothing to show that the cache had been emptied. When I restarted "Settings", I was invited, again, to empty the cache.

I have re-downloaded the Drive programme and restarted the computer and made further attempts to download/install the GPS fix. On one occasion, although the monitor screen said that the installation had not completed the Start 25 device said it had , ie said "Done". But other than that occasion, the situation now is as it was - "Somethinhg has gone wrong".

Yes, 'Empty the cache' doesn't give any real feedback that the deed was done, but it does work.

A call to C.S. may be warranted at this point. 0845 161 0009

canderson - further to my earlier reply today, I have just clicked, on my Start 25 device, "Settings" and then "GPS Status". The device is evidently receiving information - e.g. "Signal strength 51%%" (I am indoors, of course), "Lock 5 satellites" (this figure seems to vary all the time between 4 and 8), "C5C22" (I've no idera what that refers to) and (every now and again) "Searching for Satellites".

So, it would appear to be locating my position. Could it be that the "Something has gone wrong" is an error?

Not having current ephemeris data won't keep your device from working .. it just might not pick up a satellite lock quite as quickly.

If you want the quicker lock, you'll want the web update to work at some point.

Thanks, indeed, for your help and advice canderson; at the moment the device seems to be locking on fairly quickly, but I've made a note of the C.S. telephone number - just in case.

canderson - not having any idea what 'ephemeris data' is, I ran a 'search'. In the process, I came across a suggestion to 'reset' the device, which I did. Mirabilis dictu, I then found that the gps fix downloaded without a problem. But as I said before, thanks for your time and asvice..

Guess we both learned something today!

Ask a Question