Google Earth

Has anyone successfully imported GPS co-ordinates from tomtom to Google earth.
That would be a big, heavily qualified, "Yes, but..."

I have taken custom POI data from TomTom's OV2 format to KML, yes. I have also tweaked ITN files and run them back and forth to KML. Beyond that, no.

What coordinates from your TomTom are you trying to display in Google Earth???

There are 3rd party solutions for most TomTom models that will create a track of your route. Those tracks can also be transferred to GE for display. Is that what you were hoping to achieve?

Gps

I just want google earth to display GPS co ordinates. degrees, minutes, seconds or the decimal alternative.

Pick a location in Google Earth. Once you see the marker for it, right click and select 'what's here?'.

The lat/long appears in the search window

I just want google earth to display GPS co ordinates. degrees, minutes, seconds or the decimal alternative.
But in your first post, you said you wanted those coordinates to come from your TomTom. Is that correct or no? If so, again, please advise how/where these coordinates will come from on your TomTom. There are several possibilities, each with a different answer and set of tools.

As for display of Google Earth coordinates alone (not coming from an outside source) ...

G.E. to displays the position of your "hand" pointer in realtime. The coordinates (along with the elevation) appear at the bottom center of the display.

You can also enter coordinates directly into the "Fly to.." box in several formats. For example, N40.12345 W105.12345 will work; so will 40.12345 -105.12345, as will N40 04.366 W105 02.316.

To get the coordinate format you prefer, go to Tools / Options / 3D View, and under Show Lat/Long, select the format that works best for your purposes.

Ask a Question