Import POI from Google Earth?

I have a confession to make now. I love my TomTom but I also have a Garmin Nuvi 350. The Garmin Nuvi 350 has a awesome collection of POIs and the TomTom's... well the TomTom is lacking in that department. Okay now that you know my dillemma, I'm wondering if there's a way to export POIs from Google Earth and importing it onto my TomTom. I figure this would be a great way to get POIs onto the TomTom. Now the problem is what's the best way to do this? I don't want to manually enter every restaurant/store/park one by one for my hometown and every other city I plan to visit

I tried using "Tyre" but it doesn't seem to work that great? I also tried using poiedit and poi2go but I don't want to create a ov2 for every store/restaurant chain out there. Is there better solutions to doing this?

Thanks for reading.

Google to .gpx converter

Check out this website. I've used it several times to plan trips in citys and to customize my poi's and it works great. You can just select the places you want to go and put them in a group or tomtom map file by them self.

http://www.elsewhere.org/journal/gmaptogpx/

Last edited:
I am not sure what issue you are having with Google Earth and way points... I've added probably 100-200 waypoints in Google Earth and I just open the myplaces.kml file with TYRE and then save that file as a .ov2... Dump it in the map folder, and voila, I've got all my POIs from Google Earth in my GPS.
I've mainly been doing this for my city because the POI placement sucks, as well as there are many missing POIs that are missing.

Once I get it cleaned up, and added as many as I can, I'm going to post it in the POI section... :D

... I also have a Garmin Nuvi 350. The Garmin Nuvi 350 has a awesome collection of POIs and the TomTom's... well the TomTom is lacking in that department.
Thanks for reading.

I was visiting a friend last Saturday who has a Nuvi 350 and was showing off his POIs and can say I was impressed by the way it works and the extensive number of local points. I know there is a utility to extract the poi.dat for the Tomtom and wondered if such a utility exists for the Garmin? I have yet to see how the Nuvi is organised for files and where the POIs are stored but you might be able to extract the POI files and eventually convert them for use on your Tomtom. Which Tomtom model do you have?

I am not sure what issue you are having with Google Earth and way points... I've added probably 100-200 waypoints in Google Earth and I just open the myplaces.kml file with TYRE and then save that file as a .ov2... Dump it in the map folder, and voila, I've got all my POIs from Google Earth in my GPS.
I've mainly been doing this for my city because the POI placement sucks, as well as there are many missing POIs that are missing.

Once I get it cleaned up, and added as many as I can, I'm going to post it in the POI section... :D

Shadow, is there an simple way to grab say 200 waypoints in google earth and drop them into a KML file??? Been playing around for the last hour, and the only thing I can possibly do is 10 waypoints.

WHat I'm trying to do is create a POI of the Shell Gas stations in northern IL and Central Iowa. But, when I search for Shell Gas Stations in google earth, I get a return of like 300+, but I can only view 10 at a time...

ANy thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Been a while since I've done this, but if I remember correctly you can just go to the top of the list of stations....there will be numerous entries with 10 each and hit the negative icon to collapse the list.

then highlight the collapsed list and save to "my places" and save to your hard` drive you'll have a .kml file with all the pois.

note, it's a good idea when you first fire up google earth to delete everything in "my places" so that you end up only with the poi's you want.

here's a link to an earlier post that explains it better..

https://www.tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=6997&highlight=flyer1024

Shadow, is there an simple way to grab say 200 waypoints in google earth and drop them into a KML file??? Been playing around for the last hour, and the only thing I can possibly do is 10 waypoints.

WHat I'm trying to do is create a POI of the Shell Gas stations in northern IL and Central Iowa. But, when I search for Shell Gas Stations in google earth, I get a return of like 300+, but I can only view 10 at a time...

ANy thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

This may assist you. I not only use TYRE for itinerary generation, but I also use it for POIs....take a look at my write-up below as it may help you get what you need (TYRE works with both GOOGLE earch and GOOGLE maps):
>>> TYRE and POI Generation <<<

Wow, it's been a while since I've been here (10-1-2007 on the top right corner) and it looks like this has turned into quite the discussion. Previously there weren't any replies so I didn't think it was possible. I ended up importing some user made POIs for the major retail stores I was interested in.

It looks like I have a lot of catching up to do. I gave everyone reps, thanks for the reading material!

Ask a Question