GO720 Connect to computer

I have had my GO720 for about 1 1/2 years and have had no trouble with it at all and have travelled around USA and Canada with it without a hitch. I update it weekly. This week however I connected to the computer to get a mapshare update and the unit immediately turned off and would not respond. It did not connect to the computer. I could not get the unit to start up no matter ho many times I depressed the reset button or on/off button. TomTom help only told me it was out of warranty, offering no other help or information. I played around for about 1/2 dressing the reset and holding down on/of button and it started right up perfectly. Stupidly I attempted to reconnect to the computer again thinking I had experienced a one time glitch but again the same thing. Again 1/2 hour and many, dressions of reset etc and it started up out of the blue again and is working perfectly although I have not attempted to reconnet to the computer. Any ideas?:confused:

Do you have a full backup of the device taken from a point prior to the device going wrong? - If so consider putting the whole lot on an SD or SDHC card and insert that to the device, it could be C interface has gone wrong and using an SD card plus card reader should sort you out - Mike

Mike, thanks for your reply to my problem. I didn't get back o you right away becaue I was headed for USA (from Canada by car of course) for a week when I first asked for assistance. Took the faulty Go720and ran it off of the car charger/power. Worked perfectly. Haven't tried to connect to the computer again yet but I am trying best to try and figure out your instructions. I am just a plug and on these issues. I have a 2GD SD card and I do have a recent ack up. Here's a bit of other info. My battery seems to only hold about 1/2 charge no matter how long it has been charging. I am wondering if this fact is implicatd in the problem as it seems that a good and/or fully charged battery is essential for orioer working.
Your help is most valued.

Copy the entire backup to the SD card then insert the card to the device, it will now be running from the memory card, you can remove the memory card and use a card reader for updates etc.
As for the battery strength meter treat it as a very rough guide as to whats in the battery it is far from accurate, I don't think it ever shows 100% full these days - Mike

Ask a Question