GO 930 - several malfunctions

Hi,
I've got a 3 months old Go930 and have been peridoically (but persistent) having problems with several malfunctions.It always appears after it has been working perfect for 4-6 times, then suddenly I experience one or more of following:

-GPS-signal is low/ position not located for a long time after starting device, 10 to 30 minutes. Still 3-6 Satellites tracked but they appear grey. Reset is sometimes only solution. Restart is usually no help.

-Bluetooth is on, but the phone won't connect. Reconnecting divice sometimes helps, sometimes don't. Restart sometimes works, sometimes don't.

-Music won't play. Appears an error displaying "something wen't wrong while playing music". This can sometimes solve it self, or be a reappearing problem. Reset is sometimes only solution. restart can sometimes help.

Notice that sometimes, not depending on how long since last time the device was used, all the functions are working perfect, and position is located immediately. It's neither depending on whether the device has been moved while shut off. I.e. I can shut it down, move it 50 miles, turn it on, and there's no problem, or I can turn it off for to minutes and several of the issues described appears. Or the other way around.

Of course the major problem is the lost GPS signal for several minutes. No need for a GPS when I'm halfway to where Ihave to guess where I'm supposed to go before I'm assisted by the device. I't seems like the autocorrelation electronics is not performing the way it's supposed (malfunctioning in some way)?

The other issues are also annoying to some extent, mostly because I'd like things to work properly most of the times. I prefer not knowing where the reset button is located...

Do this seem like the device is a malware, or is this issues that I can address myself?

A satellite fix is best obtained when the unit is stationary in an open area.

Also, if you use Explorer to remove the contents of the ephem folder on your unit and go here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\ephemeris\ and delete all the subfolders found there, that should force a new gpsquickfix file, which sometimes helps.

-GPS-signal is low/ position not located for a long time after starting device, 10 to 30 minutes. Still 3-6 Satellites tracked but they appear grey. Reset is sometimes only solution. Restart is usually no help.
Never had that happen for more than a minute after driving out of the garage in twenty months.
-Bluetooth is on, but the phone won't connect. Reconnecting divice sometimes helps, sometimes don't. Restart sometimes works, sometimes don't.
You are not telling us which OS you are using. 8.351 was particularly onerous with Bluetooth. That is why others and I have gone back to 8.302. I overcame the problem you describe (with 8.351) by setting the phone to discoverable mode before switching on the 930 any time after having used it with HOME.
-Music won't play. Appears an error displaying "something wen't wrong while playing music". This can sometimes solve it self, or be a reappearing problem. Reset is sometimes only solution. restart can sometimes help.
Never seen that message. Maybe time to call Support. Aside of some tests I do not use the mp3 player.
In my area all FM stations broadcast and the built in speaker is not optimised for music.
Of course the major problem is the lost GPS signal for several minutes. No need for a GPS when I'm halfway to where Ihave to guess where I'm supposed to go before I'm assisted by the device. I't seems like the autocorrelation electronics is not performing the way it's supposed (malfunctioning in some way)?
Again a reason to call Support.

The bluetooth crash is a systemic crash, and the MP3 player often goes down with it. I've seen bluetooth cause both this error, and separate errors where the wrong song is played or the song only plays for 10 seconds.

The only workarounds are to disable bluetooth handsfree, or downgrade as Arno said. (see here for instructions)

-Music won't play. Appears an error displaying "something wen't wrong while playing music". This can sometimes solve it self, or be a reappearing problem. Reset is sometimes only solution. restart can sometimes help.?

You probably have a WMA file(s) in there. TT cannot read WMA's and will cause this error. I found this out the hard way.

Ask a Question