Go 920 Powers itself on automatically

I just got a 920 for Christmas and I love the device. The interface is slicker than TT6 running on my iPaq with a GPS sleeve. However, the main reason I needed to replace my old device is because my iPaq battery has gone bad and it must stay plugged in to work. This would be fine except that the unit would turn itself on constantly, run dead and then freeze and I'd have to hard reset the firmware to get it running again.

Well this 920 is doing the SAME THING!!! It keeps turning itself on...within 30 seconds of turning it off. It doesn't matter if it's plugged into the car charger, a USB port on my computer or just battery powered.

I have emailed TomTom because this seems to be a DOA unit but they aren't responding and soon they will just say "you should have contacted us sooner- now you can only get a refurb unit."

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm praying that it's just a setting or something I can fix without having to send it back to Costco.com

Thanks in advance!

Same problem. Tried the clearflash tool, no change. Moved the all operating system to the 4GB external SDHC card, still does it sporadically. Leave the system connected to the computer through the USB, it shuts itself off. Then shut the computer down with the USB still connected, and the GO 920 turns itself ON; of course until the battery drains completely out during the night, then it won't power up in the morning, only after about 5 minutes on the cigarette lighter adapter in the car.
I am with you, I hope that I don't have to return the unit to Costco :(

I have the same issue with mine right out of the box. It usually takes me 2 attempts to power mine off. Today it really acted up and I reset the unit. Still did not fix the problem.

Now I have an issue with it not tracking properly. It keeps putting me on a parallel road and trying to route back to the road I am already on :confused: .

I have a ticket open with Tom Tom, but no responses yet.

Cheers

I have the same issue with mine right out of the box. It usually takes me 2 attempts to power mine off. Today it really acted up and I reset the unit. Still did not fix the problem.

Now I have an issue with it not tracking properly. It keeps putting me on a parallel road and trying to route back to the road I am already on :confused: .

I have a ticket open with Tom Tom, but no responses yet.

Cheers

To fix tracking problem, tap the signal bars and then tap the battery icon. This puts you in the GPS satellite screen. Tap configure and change units to the 3rd option at the bottom and click Done. Make sure to do this in an open outdoor area far from buldings and trees. This recalibrates the unit!

Are you guys storing your 920 in the tight fitting official case?

If so, it has been reported that when closed, the tight case depresses the on button....

Infama, nope. You can actually leave the GO in the USB cradle, turn OFF the GO with the power button, shut down the computer and then a few minutes later the GO to turn itself ON again. I have tried to stay several seconds on the power button when turning OFF the GO hoping that the power control algorithm would catch the shutdown request; but to my experience sometime it does, sometimes it does'nt.... Frustrating at time, especially trying to get out of the car and then the GO coming back on again whatever you use the power button or the automatic shutdown when the external power is lost (i.e. cigarette outlet on the car turned OFF when shutting down the car) :(

Infama, nope. You can actually leave the GO in the USB cradle, turn OFF the GO with the power button, shut down the computer and then a few minutes later the GO to turn itself ON again. I have tried to stay several seconds on the power button when turning OFF the GO hoping that the power control algorithm would catch the shutdown request; but to my experience sometime it does, sometimes it does'nt.... Frustrating at time, especially trying to get out of the car and then the GO coming back on again whatever you use the power button or the automatic shutdown when the external power is lost (i.e. cigarette outlet on the car turned OFF when shutting down the car) :(

Just for the heck of it, have you tried a 'restore' using TTHome? A user in another forum used that functionality when his unit would not turn off; I know that situation is different from yours but it's worth a try.

I think mine might be going back to COSTCO soon if I can't find a remedy for this automatic turning on issue...

I paid a lot of money for this bad boy and I expect perfection. (or at least something closer than what I've got)

. . . . . .

Well this 920 is doing the SAME THING!!! It keeps turning itself on...within 30 seconds of turning it off. It doesn't matter if it's plugged into the car charger, a USB port on my computer or just battery powered.

. . . . . . . . . .
Has anyone else had this problem? I'm praying that it's just a setting or something I can fix without having to send it back to Costco.com

Thanks in advance!

Had the same problem when operating my new 920 inside.:confused:

Only when I let it start and go to a nav mode and then shut it down would it stay off.

When shut down on the cradle, or in the house while in a media play mode with no satellite connection it would shut down then power right back up within a couple minutes. Hope that helps.:)

I got tired of dealing with this issue and another issue that popped up with the touchscreen freaking out. I returned mine to Costco and should receive a new one tomorrow.

I noticed that my new unit has a higher numerical serial number than my old one (although they were bought 2 days apart). Maybe it has different firmware. So far it is working good. Have trouble with the remote syncing up sometimes. I have to try 2 to 3 time to get them to communicate....

When the remote gives sync problems, do a reset.

I am glad the bad batch of 920s is being replaced.

Replacement unit does the opposite

I got a replacement unit through Costo.com (that was, and still is an on-going nightmare) The new unit now turns itself off even when plugged into the cig. outlet. It also displays "Connect to Computer?" when it comes back on, even though it was not plugged into the computer. The unit has the most updated firmware and application.

Another MAJOR problem for me is that when traffic is enabled with a Windows Mobile phone (moto Q on Sprint) the dialup call (you have to pay extra per-month to use sprint phones as a modem) occupies the radio exclusively and stays connected indefinately. If I'm on a phone call, and it tries to update the traffic, it just drops my call without warning.
On the first unit, it asked me, when I was first setting up bluetooth data, if my phone was able to make and receive calls during data calls- I left it at the default, which is YES. I was never able to get back to that screen and tech support had never heard of it (I spoke to Joe in level 2). Well, the new unit never gave me the option and it drops calls too.

Needless to say, I will hold onto this unit until a better, more suitable unit is released, or TomTom fixes these issues. $525 is WAY too much for such horrible defects in software. Talk about pushing a product out the door without real-world testing! Thank gawd for the costco life time return policy (which I verified with LouAnn- Costco L2 Supervisor [direct line]: (425-313-8100 x111793))

TomTom's official response to the first issue is "Dead Unit. We've never heard of that issue before."

Ask a Question