Go 920 after update becomes Go 530?!

After updating my Go 920 is did all the restart and everything . After re-start on the screen it is saying 530 , all the menu is different at the TOMTOM HOME at connected device say 920 but on the device say 530.
I called customer service and they are (sorry) useless. Somebody can please help me.
Thanks

One other user reported this on the Brit forum, but they never reported back on whether this was fixable.

My suspicion is that is has something to do with mis-identification of the model by the new bootloader software.

Try these steps in order:
1) run a chkdsk/f on the tomtom drive from a dos prompt
2) run clear flash 3 times straight
3) then delete the ttgo.bif file on the root folder
4) then turn off the 920
5) then unplug it from your computer
6) then pin reset it
7) then turn it on - disconnected from your computer

Can you report back if that does/doesn't work?

Thank you for responding to me.
I did as you instructed but did not work. I am using MAC but on you link I find the Mac help.
I did the flash 3 times and deleted the file but is still 530.

I did this already. I called tech support from TomTom and this is what they suggested. Of course did not work and no other suggestion was given. Only to Call during the week with the hope to find a more experienced tech to help me (I called on Friday).

In a last ditch attempt - try the remove/reinstall one more time now that all the other steps are completed. The disk/flash cleanup steps may allow a clean application to install properly.

After I did the flash clean as you told me, I did try to delete the Application and re-install it. But unfortunately I have the same Go 530 on my screen. I am registered to receive map updates , I have paid 39.98 Euro for this and I paid the new map. Everything was fine up to Friday when an email from TomTom asked me to update my maps, which I did. And here I am.

If you did an explorer backup before installing this last update , or in your case a mack backup with hiden files shown (not sure about Macks and how they work) then what I would try is formating the unit and installing your backup back on the unit.

Macs works same way as windows, same Home software. I did a backup but after the trouble update. I asked the tech support and she told me to remove everything from the GO but to save the maps , voices, etc.
I did this but when you put back the data it goes again on 530. I think there is something deep in the core which doesn't let me go back
And I do not want to pay again 79 Euro for the new map. I purchased this GO for over 8 months and the maps were old and outdated and I felt ripped off when I had to pay to update the maps.
I will have to try Tuesday (Monday is closed) to call TomTom and hope for a better trained tech support.

You can try a full format (initialize in a mac?) of the tomtom and then a manual copy of the latest navcore files instead of a home install.

The steps for a full format are here: How to Format a Hard Drive in Mac OS X | eHow.com. In step 1/2, choose the tomtom as the drive. In step 4, choose "MS-DOS" as the volume format option.

Then extract the contents of this file manually onto your tomtom.

If this still doesn't work, then my suspicion is that it is a
bootloader misidentification error with some serial numbers and that you need warranty replacement.

Last edited:
Did you get any further with this? I too have the same problem - the latest update has made my 920 identify itself as a 530 and I've lost all my favorites too. I also used the Mac version of @home, so I'm hoping there's a fix out there.

I haven't seen a fix for this yet from anyone.

Open up ttgo.bif with a text editor.

What does it say next to:
DeviceName=
DeviceVersionHW=

in the file?

If it says GO 530, try renaming the file to ttgo.bak and do a pin reset. Tomtom will autogenerate the file when turned on. See if it calls it a 530 or a 920 in the new file.

As far as your favorites are concerned, follow the steps in this link.

If your tomtom won't start up after following those steps, go to HOME and run "Operate My GO". In the emulator, add a dummy favorite and exit.

It got regenerated with this info. The device id must be buried elsewhere :-(
DeviceName=TomTom GO 530
DeviceVersionHW=GO 530

Thanks for the favorites trick, I'll try that later.

Here's all the newer files after the rename/reset:
ttgo.bakbif
CurrentMap.dat
ttgo.bif
UserPatch.dat
TTPnPD.log
settings.dat
clmdata

The ttgo.bif file is created by the bootloader that sits on non-user-accessible memory.

The bootloader identifies the model of the Tomtom based on something else (probably the serial number) and sticks it in ttgo.bif when you boot up.

ttgo.bif is used by the rest of the Tomtom application to figure out what version the tomtom is.

There was a bootloader upgrade in app 8.302 (bootloader 5.5015) to app 8.350 (bootloader 5.5120), and I bet the new bootloader is misidentifying a batch of serial numbers on the 920.

Since bootloader changes are irreversible, your next step is to call/complain to Tomtom phone support (866-486-6866). They may have some type of fix, but I suspect they'll have to warranty swap it. Try calling - let us know what happens.

Reverse to the previous NC to see if it recognizes your device as GO 920 or still GO 530.
As mvl mentioned, NC 8.302 still has bootloader 5.5015, try it.

Wait, even though with the reversion, there is something wrong with your device, 'cuz if the bootloader is the culprit then every owner of GO920 already yelling out loud when updating to NC 8.350/8.351.
Can you do the clean installation again?

Are there detailed instructions on a 'clean' install? I'll try anything - it's got to be easier than calling customer support ;-)
I might try and reinstall from a windows machine, as the Mac might explain why there's no mass outcry on the upgrade ...

You can't clean the bootloader. Upgrades to the 5.5120 bootloader (included in app 8.350) are irreversible.

My suspicion is that not all 920s have this issue. There probably is a range of 920s with a serial number that looks like the 530s range, and Tomtom's new bootloader didn't properly make the distinction.

I don't think there's any option other than a warranty swap. In my experience phone customer support has been pretty good, so I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.

You can try a clean install of app 8.302 (will not downgrade the bootloader), but I'm 99% sure it won't change anything.
1) Back up everything by copying using Finder. Make 1000% sure that your two map folders (North America, and Western Europe) are backed up.
2) Remove the SD card (if you use one), and format the Tomtom internal memory per this link
3) Use stuffit to open this file, and copy all its contents onto the blank Tomtom drive.
4) Use HOME to download your map and voices. If your map isn't freely avaialble from the "add map" screen, use Finder to copy the North America and the Western Europe folders from your finder backup back onto the Tomtom.

Wow. I think I'll try Support first, especially as the reinstall has potential to nuke everything and is likely to not succeed. I don't fancy chancing this for a 'cosmetic' issue. I'll let you know what support says. Thanks for the advice!

I suspect the application will behave as if you really had a 530, and therefore not be purely "cosmetic". For example, 530's cannot connect to PLUS traffic, you can see if your menu is missing that. Similarly, you may no longer have EPT functionality.

These should be enough of an impact to demand a warranty exchange from Tomtom. Let us know what happens.

Ask a Question