Update 920 GO or replace?

TomTom Model(s)
Go920
Well I know there are many threads here regarding upgrading but bear with me if you please.

Have a Go 920 with firmware Ver: 9.510 and North American Map v720.1803.

The unit works great and I know the map is badly outdated. I have always kept up with the latest firmware and update through "Home" and the unit has never failed me. I am currently thinking of updating the map but due to cost I am wondering if I should spend the few extra dollars and upgrade the unit to one of the newer versions?

I have read that the newer models have fewer options than the older models and in some cases certain models are just not performing as well as the older units. I am not a big fan of updating maps every quarter either as I feel that is overkill and nothing more than a money grab.

So the question is this;

Should I just upgrade the map?

or

Should I upgrade the unit to one of the newer models and if so which one when comparing features of 920 to what is available today?

Thanking you in advance.

thundercraft said:
I have read that the newer models have fewer options than the older models and in some cases certain models are just not performing as well as the older units. I am not a big fan of updating maps every quarter either as I feel that is overkill and nothing more than a money grab.
No TomTom currently sold in the States or here has true itinerary saving. You can add up to 3 waypoints buy but, the route is lost after you reach your destination.

Quarterly updates is something you should learn to live with as that is the only maps maps are coming now. Whether you replace your 2 year old one with a 1 year map or buy a device with life time maps.

Make a list of items that are important to you on your 920 and someone will suggest which new device comes closest to it.
In low end units Crappy Tire had some good buys a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for the reply however my question was not answered?

What I really wanted to know as per my post was does anyone feel that keeping the 920 and upgrading the map is a better option than buying a new unit and getting lifetime maps?

If buying a new unit is the response over upgrading the GO920 then which current model would be equivalent to what I have?

Thanks

What I really wanted to know as per my post was does anyone feel that keeping the 920 and upgrading the map is a better option than buying a new unit and getting lifetime maps?
+1 to Arno's comment. There are some significant feature differences between the 920 and current models. Without knowing which features are really important to you on your 920, it would be hard to tell you which, or even if, of the newer TomTom models would suit your use model. I'll just toss out one offhand example or two: If you depend upon itinerary planning, you might want to keep that 920. Or if you depend upon the RF modulator or audio output jack on that 920, you might want to keep it.

There IS no equivalent to your 920 available if you mean 'a unit that has the same features to which I've grown accustomed'. Whether the features in question matter is something you'll have to help us with if you want a reasoned response.

If buying a new unit is the response over upgrading the GO920 then which current model would be equivalent to what I have?

Thanks

Thanks

Hey Thundercraft, I know exactly what you are troubled over. I have a Go 720 and I feel that there isn`t a TomTom out there with all the features that I have in mine and I personnaly prefer to pay for maps then to pay for a GPS that I am sure I wil despise. Good luck with your decision.

You think that 720 is nice, you should see how sweet the 740 Live turned out (though even there, we lost a feature in trade, so to speak)! As the old saying goes, "They sure don't make them like they used to".

Shame you never saw the GO940 over there, Canderson.

That was the best ever for features; but it *is* slow to do things compared to a new model.

IF ONLY TomTom would use the improvements in processing power and memory, to make an up to date version of that model.

To the OP.... Thundercraft, if you are otherwise happy with your GO720, I would advise keeping it and just updating the map once in a while (maybe every one to two years).

Do make sure you have a good backup of the entire system (made using Windows Explorer NOT TT Home, as per our instructions here on the forum) as it's very possible that the internal memory will eventually fail, and you'll need that backup to get yourself back up and running with everything on an SD card.

Ask a Question