GO 920 How can I buy Update Service

TomTom Model(s)
GO920
Hello, I have these 2 latest maps:
United_Kingdom_and_Republic_of_Ireland 885.4009
North_America 885.4087

I bought the latest maps because I was told that was a pre-req for getting Update Service.

At TomTom urging, I have tried repeatedly to buy Map Update Service for both maps.
When I follow the instructions for Purchase Maps, it never offers me the option of the Update Service.

I have tried it from HOME, the Email TomTom sent me, and the Shop.
I've tried it both in the UK & in the US.
Nothing works. Nor does it say that no Update Service is available.

I'm loathe to phone TomTom support, the Truth/Fiction ratio is so low.

Suggestions requested.
Thanks,
Roger

Well, afraid you will have to call CS at 866-486-6866 and have them stay on the line while they talk you through the various screens necessary to complete the purchase.

Perhaps ask for a supervisor. Maybe one in the 'truth' category :)

I bought the latest maps because I was told that was a pre-req for getting Update Service.

I thought you normally bought the latest maps as PART of buying the update service?

I.e. When you get your individual quote for the update service, part of the price is to get you up to the current latest map (which varies dependant on how old your current map is), and the other part is for the next 4 maps (or 6, if there's a special deal running).

Hi Andy, I had tried to buy the Update Service + the new Map combo (i.e. the route you describe). When that didn't work (many times), I ran out of time before a trip & went for buying the new maps only.

I'll try the process suggested by DHN.
---

I'm in the TomTom Support horror movie again!!

2 days ago, Laura gave me a Case Number. Said the problem (not showing Map Update Service in Purchase Maps in TomTom Home) was in TomTom Home & it should be fixed in a day.

Today, Jose confirmed I have current maps & the latest TomTom Home.
But he says because I have a GO 920 .. it is an old model and they don't want it to crash during update. So no Map Update Service. There was no problem in TomTom Home. Sorry we sent you the email offering Map Update Service - was sent to everyone regardless of model on record.

Obviously, Map Update Service (4 qtrs + 2 free) is no more technical risk to my GO 920 than updating my maps one-at-a-time.

I tried asking for a Supervisor last time around - they are never available.

When this horror movie ran in Jan 2012, DHN was able to provide a URL to the TomTom shop that worked.

Links / Suggestions very welcome,
Roger

When this horror movie ran in Jan 2012, DHN was able to provide a URL to the TomTom shop that worked.

Sorry, not clear what link or 'shop' you are referring to

That link shows me a 'Page not Found'

Let's put it like this. I still get map updates for my 720 unit. That's all I know.

Thanks for trying.
I see the TomTom Support contacts site (For the 'legacy device' GO 920 (T)) now says:
"Legacy devices are no longer supported by phone, email or chat."
So perhaps TT has simply decided to block Legacy users from subscribing to the Map Update Service.
Thanks, Roger

Nope. I'm still updating my x20 unit as well. Something is still amiss. You can buy maps for units much older than your 920. The "Legacy devices..." comment has to do with tech support, not map support.

If you two could get together, you can bet that TomTom would be more than happy to take your money and deliver a map.

The "Buy map update service" at : https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/shop/mapupdateservice/
seems to be working for the Go920.....

attachment.php

---------------------------------------

There's also "Buy world maps" at: https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/shop/maps/
attachment.php

Attachments

• MapUpdateGo920.jpg
    MapUpdateGo920.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 743
  • BuyWorldMapsGo920.jpg
    BuyWorldMapsGo920.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 679
Hi Andy_P,
Yes that URL works, and it launches TomTom Home.
But in TT Home, Purchase Maps does not show the Map Update Service as an option. (PS: I did set the DropDown to display All purchasable items).
FWIW: I have tried both Chrome and IE in case that was a factor.
Thanks, Roger.

Can you not IGNORE TT Home and continue using the website to purchase the map subscription?

Hi Andy_P,
I've tried various ways to do that.
In the store, when I click on the offer to buy the 1 year Map Update Service, it always launches TT Home.
FWIW the Offer is the only place I'm shown Map Update Service.
Roger

You're quite right... sorry for the duff suggestion. :tape2:

Now... I've just tried it myself, and as soon as Home launched, it came up with a pop-up window asking if I wanted to extend my current subscription (without me clicking on anything at all!)

Home_Extend map Subscription.jpg

Maybe you have a pop-up blocker or something stopping that window from opening?

Seems an odd window (with all that blank space in the middle) but if I click on buy, it does give me a "personalised" price...

Home_Extend map Subscription_buy.jpg

If you're unable to get to those screens, I think ringing customer services needs to be your next step. As 'canderson' says, I'm sure they would be more than happy to take your money for a new map, even for an unsupported model.

Thanks Andy_P, I turned off the Pop-Up blocker. Deleted all Cookies & Temp Internet Files.
I noticed that the screen image you posted was UK Sterling prices, so I also tried both UK & USA location options.
But still no Pop-up for me (IE 8).
Roger

Hi dhn & Andy_P, A quick update.
I kept trying to order Map Update Service but would not work.
So I bought Map US version 890..
That would not install properly.
So after trying all the first 5 fixes of /thanks Andy):
https://www.tomtomforums.com/t27292-tomtom-acting-up-part-1-first-steps-system-recovery.html
TTHOME requested a TTHOME update.
That then requested an Application update to 9.430
Which then offered Map Update Service for both UK & USA Maps.
Sadly, a bug in the TT Web ordering showed the discounts (for recent maps) in the Cart; but when I tried to pay it sent the non-discounted total to PayPal (I tried other payment methods - same bug)..
Customer Service could see the bug and 'said' they would call back in 10-15 minutes. [But no callback in last 3 days.]
So I tried the Map Update Service 1 map-at-a-time.
Worked OK for first map (i.e. proper discounted price).
But, now the Map Update Service is not offered for the other map :-(
I have tried several approaches.
Do you know where the Map Update Service has been purchased flag is?
If in Cookies, I will flush those.
If in TTHOME, do you know how to reset the flag?
If in the TT online database, I guess I'll wait until the next map update cycle.
I did consider removing the Application & re-installing it - it might reset the flag?
BTW: The legacy model = no Map Update Service was simply more TT Phone support mid-information.
TIA, Roger.

To answer some of my own questions:
a) The offer the Map Update Service flag is not in the Cookies
b) The flag is not in the TT Program files folders (various).
c) The flag is not in the Registry under a key or data with the string TomTom in it.
Best, Roger

Ask a Question