GO920 update problems

TomTom Model(s)
Go 920
I just completed a program update, and now I can't get to the main menu. When I touch the screen it goes straight to the Voices and Images sub menu, both in Operate my GO and on the device. I did a pin reset, no change. Any ideas?

Try the pin reset again. Make sure you do make contact when you insert the paperclip or some other straight item. And what program update do you refer to? 9.043???

Have you tried restoring your previous good backup? Depending on if the bootloader has been updated or not it may or may not work fine.
Then you could try the update again.

Giving us ALL the version numbers (then,now and last backup) will help too.

The new version is 9.430.890926.1, OS842337. Tried the pin reset again, no difference. When I touch the screen it goes directly to the "Voices and images" sub menu, cannot get to the "navigate to" menu at all. Same when accessing through Home. Quite annoying really, this should not happen on a TomTom recommended update, especially annoying when TomTom says they won't provide any service since it is a legacy machine. I understand they can't provide support on old units forever, but this was their update!

You said "not this time" when dhn asked about backups.

Any previous ones?

Have you tried the two topics in the "Articles" section on recovering from disasters.

You have a lot of 3rd party apps in your signature.

It's been a long time since there was active 3rd party development on a Tomtom, I'm not sure anyone has tested whether any of them work or break app 9.x on a GO920.

You can use winrar to extract the contents of the link below onto your Tomtom drive, overwriting when prompted, and it should downgrade you to app 8.351.

http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.351.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

Success! I followed the instruction and reverted back to 8.351, and things are working again. I am deleting most of the third party apps I had installed, since I don't use them anymore. Hopefully this will reduce any future problems.
I will do a backup once I am confident in the units stability.
How can I go back to the latest version of the software? I do like being current if possible. When I connect to Home it tells me egerthing is up to date, although I'm now running 8.351. Interseting.
Thanks for all the help!

You evidently fooled home when you went backwards manually.

Since you had already moved to the most recent firmware, it should be possible to load it from Home using "Manage my device", "Install items from computer". There, you should still see 9.430 resident on your PC under "Applications", and available for installation.

Yup, TomTom Home is definitely fooled, it tells me the software version 9.430 is installed, and nothing in on my computer to be installed. I guess I can't do this simply through Home. I don't want to un-install the application, as I don't know where that may lead. Any ideas? I guess I could just carry on with version 8.351 until a newer version of the software comes out, but that doesn't seem to be a very elegant solution.
Andy
ps, at least it's working now!

Home won't say 9.430 is actually installed ON your unit (it may be saying it's on your computer) unless it actually finds it that way. When you first hook your unit up and Home fires up, it does an inventory of unit contents so that it knows what's there and what isn't, and what features are supported.

Note that there's a distinction in the Home menu between what's loaded on your unit and what's available on your computer (click both tabs to see). If you have previously downloaded and installed 9.430, it's there somewhere and you can force Home to install it.

Have a look at a file in the root of your unit called ttgo.bif. About the 9th line down you'll see the line that says
ApplicationVersionVersionNumber=nnnn

What digits do you see at nnnn? If it is 8531, then that's the number Home should be using when it determines what you are running currently.

To re-upgrade, go to "manage my GO", and delete the application from the "items on device" tab. It will then reinstall a series of SW versions, ending up at 9.430.

Guess I don't understand why he'd need to delete the existing application and have to download one (or more than one) that should already be on his computer.

If you delete the app in TT HOME, then HOME "learns" that the app is out of date and re-offers the update again.

I never spent the time trying to figure out what confuses HOME when manually doing an app downgrade (it doesn't always get confused), but I've found removing the app in Manage my GO is a 100% foolproof method of getting HOME to offer a new app.

No doubt about that. Was just trying to save him the time of downloading anything.

When I go to Manage my Go, the version it ells me is on the device is 9.430, when I go to the device itself it says 8.351. When I go to install items from my computer, there are no applications here. Interesting. I will try the remove and re-connect approach and see if that works. Thanks for all the help.
Andy

As has been said many times before... "Home" is not the sharpest knife in the software box!

No kidding. No applications on his computer? I wonder what he'd find if he were to take a 'manual' look inside
\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete

Interesting that. No applications show in Manage my Go through Home, when I look in Install items from my computer. When I go through explorer as suggested, there are seven different Applications there. I have now delete\d all but the latest.
I think I'm going to get rid of all the third party stuff. It was fun while TomTom was a cool device, now it's just another GPS.

Ask a Question