Go 730 Compass

I noticed on my Go 730 the compass is not reading correct especially when it comes to East and West it's opposite. Anyone know how I can fix this?

Went to TomTom and looked up support questions, guess it's right it is opposite because they way they have it set up. I thought the Compass in my truck was wrong at first but the arrow is opposite. Don't know why they just couldn't make a Compass which would point to the Right for east of thats the direction your going. Instead of pointing Left.

Old news........in fact, it just reads North. Honest. Try laying the unit flat and the direction will be more obvious. Functionality of Navcore 7 compass was removed in N8. Some functionality returned in latest application (8.3x) where, Preferences-->Status Bar-->Show direction can be checked.

Then you will see the direction on the status bar in both degrees and letters (NW, E, etc.)

glad i searched before i posted. i too have the same thing on my 720. east and west are opposite yet north and south are correct. quite silly if you ask me.

As I responded, east and west are not backwards. The compass faces North. Period.

Mike I can assure you that E & W on your device are NOT the wrong way around, the compass points due North all the time and does indeed still point North when you are heading East or West (as it should do),

Since TomTom reduced the size and capability of this indicator it has caused nothing but confusion, I half wonder if they would be better getting rid of the compass all together - Mike

Wrong! :p
After years in the Boy Scouts and several decades sailing the briny I think I know some of the compass points. I live right on the south coast so driving south is not a rational option. If I drive east TT says I am going west and vice versa. If I drive north and home again, TT gives the correct indication both ways. If I drive northeast TT says northwest and so on. I miss the older maps (where the software is) with an accurate indication of direction and the ability to select a compass view. The GPS Status page gives an accurate reading to the nearest degree, probably true and not magnetic, and I cannot believe it is beyond the wit of man to transfer that to the icon.
Mike

Last edited:
Read the information in this thread. I'm not going to get into a long 'yes it is', 'no it isn't' discussion about this issue. The fact remains that that the compass points ONLY North.

You don't want to believe so? That's your right.

Ask a Question