Go 720 Maps

TomTom Model(s)
Go 720
Hi,

I just bought a Go 720 and I want to make sure I have the latest maps etc loaded.

How do I check to make sure I am up to date? Or... does the home software just take care of this for me and makes sure I have the latest maps?

Also,

Right now I have the standard pre-loaded maps (North America 2Gb version 705)

I live in Canada and pretty much only will ever use this GPS in Canada (Ontario to be most specific) is there any advantage to getting the "Canada & Alaska" map ?

Would it be more accurate or details compared to what I have or would it just be less "bloaty" i.e. have areas that I don't need when searching etc.

Just curious...

Thanks...

D.

The 720 comes with the latest maps. Just remember to connect to HOME to download any map corrections that may help.

Map updates and HOME

Pedro,

I have been reading these forums for awhile, ever since I purchased my GO 720. Ok, that was 2-days ago but anyway.

I used the "Use Latest Map Guarantee" option in HOME and received the new 710 version of the US map data. This update was 1.7 GB. It took a LONG time to update. When I go to view what's on my GO 720, it shows the US map as 1.2 GB (but it does show version 710). Is this correct?

I was going to re-add/update the map that was stored on my hard drive and transfer it to the 720 to make sure it got all 1.7 GB. HOME informed me that there was not enough space. I planned to delete the map on the 720 but HOME popped up a warning that the device would not function properly. So, I did not try to install the map.

I'm guessing that since the version number is 710 on my GO 720, I'm updated. But the file size difference has me questioning this.

Also, even if I did delete the current map on the 720, I would not have enough room for the 1.7 GB map data sitting on my hard drive.
:confused:

brand new 720, 3 or 4 nites ago HOME told me there was a new ver 710 NA map , for free , 1.7 GB. I had plenty of space so downloaded it and installed. Through home it still says 1.2 gb but in my tomtom 720 it shows new map ver 710. the same happens with the tomtom navcore version , through HOME it alwasys shows the last version installed , i guess.... After I nstalled the new 710 version the tomtom plus traffic started to show all the traffic events for every major city that has it in US. I am still waiting fir it to show sothing here in Canada though!!!. yesterday it showed red triangles with paralels lines in it in the Hamilton , ON area , i guess by mistake , wether related traffic info. it is suppose to give road conditions in canada only.

I don't know whether this applies to the difference in apparent size issue with the maps but it does apply with computers in general; namely, the apparent size of a file is related to the storage media itself.

In other words, look at a file on your computer and check its size. Now, copy it to a flash drive or a floppy disk (if your computer has one). You will likely see a different file size of the file. Your computer no doubt has a hard drive larger than the size of the storage media.

For example, I have an Outlook .pst file of 533 megs on my (80 gig) hard drive. When copied to a 2 gig flash drive, it shows as 515 megs. Same file.

I suspect that is the issue. In other words, no problem.

using the windows explorer the properties for the NA map folder within tomtom h: shows almost 1.7 gb. still Home says 1.2 installed on device. Before , brand new unit had almost 500 MB free , to install mp3 for instance , now after recent 1.7 gb update, it only has aropund 76 MB free, I can barely install daily editions of the NY Times through audible.com now. No space for anything else.

The original version 7.05 is lacking big time on poi database. They have good database of restaurants and hotels etc (no starbucks) but nothing for shopping other than big retail stores like best buy, walmart etc. I bet this update has that corrected. The original poi that comes with 720 is only 93 megs, compared to the one on v675 maps as 175mb. Considering that the new maps have address information, that is a fairly small database.

On a side note, I have one of the original tomtom 720 with all the squeeling noises etc and I don't get the free update, just an option to buy the new maps for 49 pounds:eek: This really sucks:mad:

Pedro,
I used the "Use Latest Map Guarantee" option in HOME and received the new 710 version of the US map data. This update was 1.7 GB. It took a LONG time to update. When I go to view what's on my GO 720, it shows the US map as 1.2 GB (but it does show version 710). Is this correct?

Im not sure about this offer. If it is a different map, then it would have a different map # unless is it updated with mapshare information.

Can others verify?

Pedro2NR

I have HOME v2.1.2.121 Under the File menu, there's an option below "Logout" that has "Use latest map guarantee".

Apparently, this is a 30-day(?) deal to keep the GO updated with Tomtom's latest. Personally, I don't think it should cost the end user to maintain these. How do I know they are not leaving streets or POI's off for the first 30-days to get me to pay $90+ to update later?

But it looks like all the major GPS companies are charging (supply & demand).

My 720 also came with a paper with a secret promotional code for a trial update (looks like a lotto ticket). Tomtom is no longer accepting these since the updates are handled through HOME.

Im not sure about this offer. If it is a different map, then it would have a different map # unless is it updated with mapshare information.

Can others verify?

Its a newer map v7.10 instead of 7.05. From the size of the download, it also seems like the full version map like the 910s had compared to the 510. It really sucks that the upgrade map offer is only good for 30 days after you buy your device escpecilly since 720 is a new line full of bugs to begin with. Us early adapters got another shaft by not getting the latest maps because we wanted to be the first to get the latest gadget.:mad:

Map Size

Looks like the difference in size is related to a bunch of cspeech_XX.dat files that were added, where XX is a 2 letter state code. If you copy the US map to your computer from Home, it will only be 1.2GB is size and it doesn't copy all the extra cspeech files. I compared the original size of the Map that downloaded from TT (1.7GB) and the Map copied back to my computer (1.2GB)after I loaded the new map. I would love some release notes to know what these files are for.

Woody

Ok. Now comes the sillyness. If you don't lock the unit up (like my iPod Touch, I know it's been hacked already) then how are they going to prevent us from just "sharing" maps and putting a simple file in the device. It is all just a directory of files.

Does the TT720 run on Linux?

I saw a video player. Does anyone have experience with this program? Not sure about watching a movie on the TT720 but the geek in me wants to check it out.

Nathan...

There is a diff between Map updates and software updates

Its a newer map v7.10 instead of 7.05. From the size of the download, it also seems like the full version map like the 910s had compared to the 510. It really sucks that the upgrade map offer is only good for 30 days after you buy your device escpecilly since 720 is a new line full of bugs to begin with. Us early adapters got another shaft by not getting the latest maps because we wanted to be the first to get the latest gadget.:mad:

Guys, It is typical that after a given period Maps will be a surcharge. However for software bug fixes, these have always been available and will contiunue to be avail for free.... no 30 day period

map of mexico

has any one found maps of mexico. i'm looking at traveling around state of Coahuila and would like to have guidance with my 720.

cheers

Ask a Question