Garmin 1450lmt vs XXL540tm

I know this is a TomTom forum but I'm hoping I can get some objective points of view.
I've been looking at these two units and I'm really torn. I love the Garmin display, it is much brighter than the TomTom and the map graphics are nicer. Also, I like the POI?s and the way there laid out much better on the Garmin. Also the mount on the Garmin seems much better.

I do like the flexibility of the TomTom, it seems like there are more customization options.

As far as the TomTom traffic vs the Garmin, is one better than the other. Navtqe vs TeleAtlas, is one better than the other.

I know the TomTom has IQ routes, is this feature really all it's hyped to be?

When I look at consumer reviews, it seems as if the Garmin always rates higher.

Any help would be appreciated.

Having recently tried out a Garmin with Lifetime Traffic, I will say this... TomTom has Garmin beat in that department... here's why (in my opinion):

Garmin does not notify you of traffic situations actively like TomTom does... TT has the traffic bar on the right hand side that constantly updates... also, it announces traffic conditions and delays as they happen... Garmin just gives you either a green, yellow or red icon on the screen that you have to tap on to get any info and then choose to re-route.

TT will automatically re-route you around traffic, if you have it set to... otherwise, it will announce that there is a faster route and display the time difference if you choose to accept the new route.

TT traffic is not "free", it's an extra $20 built in to the price of the unit, but it is lifetime after that, no renewals... Garmin's is "free"... but at a price, that price is ads that pop up on the screen when in menus and when stopped at a stoplight or something... super annoying in my opinion.

Yes, Garmin's maps are definitely more pleasant to the eye... but for what I want out of a satnav, TT has it in the bag.

NavTeq maps have more information to them... more smaller bodies of water, more parks etc... some also show apartment complex names on the map... which, not a big deal for those that don't really. I think we may be in a time where map companies are fairly consistent in roads... if you get a TM model TT you get lifetime map updates, which are released quarterly... as well as MapShare, where users can update road changes as they happen and it's shared with the TT community via TT Home.

Ask a Question