Full snow... with my tomtom

I try UK femal computer voice and it sound way better than US english... even for french street. TomTom is made in Europe, probably that is why.

I try UK femal computer voice and it sound way better than US english... even for french street. TomTom is made in Europe, probably that is why.

Tomtom only licences the text-to-speech and voice recognition software from Loquendo which also supplies the different computer voices. Tomtom allows us to download additional computer voices from their own sites but were supplied by Loquendo.

As for maps, they are supplied by TeleAtlas which was recently purchased by Tomtom and they get a licence from them to use those maps, compress them in their own proprietary format, adds the POI and sells them to us.

Tomtom gets their two different integrated chipsets from Samsung as well as their displays. I don't know if they get the gps chipset (SirfStar) from Samsung.

Tomtom writes the software for the system, designs the case, provides the support and markets the pnds. If you bother to read the licences, you will see they have licenced sw from what was available and did not reinvent the wheel.

This is a lovely story. I don't know why but it just makes me smile!

Thinking of the drama you would have had to go through before you had your Tomtom brakes my heart. Heavy snow, the flashlight not working how it should, not being able to see the house number... I'm happy to hear of someone who has a legitimate use for a GPS.

Please tell me you have some cool voices on it? Having some of the Navtones that like Mr. T or something would rock. Again, the thought of this makes me smile. Mr. T or Gary Busey giving you directions while you travel through the 30" of snow just so you can get someones food to their house on time makes me laugh for some reason. I just recently got Kim Cattrall from the Navtones site and let me tell you, she'll warm you up while you out delivering!

Ask a Question