FM Transmission keeps falling off

Hello all,

I just purchased my TomTom Go 720 3 days ago and got it all set up and ready to go.
While using it yesterday for the first time I noticed that when I have it set up to broadcast through the FM transmitter through my car speakers everything was working great for about 15 seconds :mad:

I changed to different FM channels about 4-5 times with the same results. It will give you the little jingle through the car speakers letting you know that it is synced and work for only 15 seconds and then drops off of the channel and reverts back to the internal speaker leaving me with static on the car speakers. Pushed the screen to reconnect to station and same thing 15 seconds then dropped.

I called TomTom support, and after waiting for at least 20 minutes for a rep. I finally was able to talk to one and explained my situation. Here is the answer I received:

We are sorry for the problem, however because TomTom is used in various countries, some of those countries it is illegal for broadcasting directions via FM Transmission through the car speakers, so therefore TomTom has had to stop that function until they figure out what they can do.

Now being a first time user, I have nothing to offer as a rebuttal other than I asked, why does the product advertise this function? and the response I received back was: They have not changed the Packaging on the box to reflect it.

So my question to the veterans on this forum is this: Is this a correct response from TomTom ? Is it true that I will not be able to use the FM Transmission other than possible listening to music, but will not be able to hear the directions through my car speakers? Did they truely stop that service to EVERYONE ?

I appreciate any feedback for you all on this. I did alot of research before I made my mind up, and the Go 720 was good for my needs. But would really like to be able to use ALL of its functions.

Thanks for your time,
CruiserMB

TT had removed the functionality in an earlier application but returned it in the latest application after screams and yells by great numbers of users.

The thing is, to keep the rule makers happy, the trick is to have a mp3 playing which is completely silent. You just set the mp3 to continually loop. Then your navigation can come out on FM again.

In this link, download the 'silence is golden.mp3' provided by andy_P, use Explorer to put it in your mp3 folder and set it to play continually.

Oh..unrelated to this issue...make a complete Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents now. It is your 'safety net'.

dhn, Thank You so much.
This absolutely fixed my issue,
What a Beautiful Thing !!!!!

If I may, can I ask something relatively simple I hope ? When using a memory card in the go 720, does it matter if it is an SD card or an SDHC card ?

Again, thanks so much

CruiserMB

My understanding is that the Go series can and should use sdhc cards. Newest applications can handle upto 32-gigs. Faster the speed the better but get a reliable brand (meaning, don't go buying on ebay, many offered there are scams).

For most, anything over 8 gigs is overkill. I use a 4-gig sdhc SanDisk to keep my NA map on.

Ask a Question