FM transmission question

Did a search, but could not find any info on this, so....

If I am using the FM transmission on a 730 to get spoken directions through my car stereo, and then opt to switch over to my head unit's AUX input so I can listen to my connected iPod, will the 730 revert to its built-in speaker automatically, or do I have to tell it to do so? TIA.

The only way to auto switch will only work if you pull the plug out of the line out socket on the base of the TomTom, otherwise go to Speaker preferences and select internal speaker - One other option is to fit a large SDHC card and put your music on that, then let the device control the whole lot, or depending upon which iPOD you own you could consider the TT iPOD accessory cable to control the iPOD from the TomTom - Mike

Thanks, Mike. I'm trying to absorb all that :p If I get your right, you're saying the TT has a line out port at its base. I'm not sure I know what you mean by 'pull the plug out of the line out socket.' I currently connect my iPod by way of a line in to my head unit (much like the AUX in you see on the newer head units). The SD card option might be a way to go, if I can jack into the line out of the TT. If so, how does that work? I mean, does the 730 cut in on any music that may be playing to give me directions? That would be nice! Thanks.

Put your music on the TomTom and connect the audio out from the nav unit to the aux input to your stereo, the nav unit will handle all the music and nav instructions by pausing the music when required, it works quite well in use, I prefer to use Bluetooth rather than the cabled connection as this way the music doesn't get paused, but you only get this non pause option if using the A2DP Bluetooth output

Go get a cable to to connect the two units together and add a couple of music tracks (mp3 format) to the mp3 folder on the TomTom and give it a try in the car, you might be pleasently surprised as to what the device has to offer - Mike

Ask a Question