Go 730 lost FM Transmission after map update

My new Go730, now that it can communicate with Home v2.5 (and not with the latest Home V2.7 (go figure)) has now lost most of the FM Transmission capability. Before the update - out of the box when new, the FM Transmission of the unit was great and i really liked that feature (one reason why i decided to go for the 730 instead of waiting for the newer 750). I did read from previous threads of losing the FM transmission after the update and forgot it will affect me.

Is there any way to bring back that strong FM Transmission like before the update? What did the update do - did a firmware update occur also when i exercised my 30 map gurrantee update option then?

Newer versions of the firmware made the FM transmitter weaker (to comply with max-transmit-strength laws in certain countries). Try the lowest channel numbers, as the transmitter seems to be strongest at those frequencies.

The latest version of the firmware made it a requirement that you play music while the FM transmitter sends directions (complying with a law in the UK). You can play a silent mp3 as a workaround, see here.

The problem is that the latest maps use a new high-power compression algorithm, and only new applications can read them. If you made an explorer backup, you can restore it to regain the original FM functionality, but you'll lose the huge improvements in IQroutes and Lane Guidance that the newest maps offer.

I have a new GO730 and the FM transmission seems to work "whenever it wants to" which is not very often.
The main reason I bought this particular unit was for speed warnings, cameras, hands free calling and music playback which all rely upon a decent connection to the radio via FM.

Without the FM connection its no more than a shiny box stuck to my windscreen .... rubbish!

Hands free calling won't play over FM. All the other features you listed should.

You need to keep music playing over FM in order for anything else to work over FM, that was in response to a UK law.

Ask a Question