Flickering screen and RMA dilemma

TomTom Model(s)
possibly a XXL 540TM
Two weeks out of the box my 540tm has been stable and the only issue I have had is getting Map Share to work.

After an 8 hour phone call with TT Support, validating my configuration and trying to narrow down the problem with map share, a new version of the units application was deleted and re-installed.

This is what started my unit to scroll and flicker uncontrollably. To solve the issue, TT support had me re-format the device and re-install everything off TTHome. The unit continued to scroll/flicker after the rebuild. TTSupport recommended me to RMA the unit with them and that was the end of our 8 hour phone session.

After hanging up with TTSupport, I decided to restore the Win backup I did before doing anything with the support person. Viola! The unit is stable again sans map share not working as expected.

So I write all this because it is apparent the software being downloaded via TTHome has an area of corruption in some way.

If I knew a more effective way to track down the smoking gun I would keep working on it. But until then, I am wondering how many others out there, after their warranty expires, go ahead and update their units to where they cant RMA their units anymore. I guess the only thing I have to say is… better keep copies of your old system backups.

My dilemma is, does it make logical sense to RMA the unit if the real issue seems to be the software TT is offering via download which introduces the flicker?

By RMA-ing might I also have a better chance resolving the Map share issue??? Please throw your two cents out and I will decide from there. TIA

----------------------
working configuration:
Device AKTGS DAC5N
App 9.0.61.576030.2, os567329
1034, 9/15/2010
64MB RAM(free: 18.7MB)
GPS v1.20, Boot 5.5279
Map: 'USA_Canada_Mexico_P' v860.3121

Last edited:
My personal feeling is keep what is working.

Mapshares are not all they are cracked up to be. You can still use the functionality to make various changes for your own personal map.

But, to return the (working now) unit in the hopes of being able to receive mapshares by others? Nah!

I agree with dhn... keep what is working. If you RMA it, you may get a refurbished unit shipped back to you.

Getting map-share updates is not all that it's cracked up to be. You can still make corrections to your own device ? which will take effect immediately.

Same problem

Hi,

I just purchased a new XXL 540TM and have the same problem. I just wanted to activate the lifetime map updates and the TomTom Home software wanted me to update the application. Boy was that a bad idea. I did make a backup and am trying to restore it right now. If it doesn't work after restoring the backup I'm returning the GPS. The only question I have is if this problem is only affecting a few 540TMs or is this a problem with all of these units. I'm hesitant to purchase another 540TM for fear of ending up in the same situation I am now.

See the last page of this thread where I elaborate more on the situation. https://www.tomtomforums.com/tomtom...pported-your-combination-your-navigation.html

The back up I did saved me from having to RMA the unit. Right now I am pretty happy with what I have.

It is my opinion that anybody with a new 540 should not try to reinstall the App that shipped with V9.061. Else you will introduce the screen roll. TTH does not offer the 9.061 on the DL site yet meaning one would pretty much hosed if they did not have an out of box back up.

TTH does not offer the 9.061 on the DL site yet meaning one would pretty much hosed if they did not have an out of box back up.
If need be, I'd bet that someone here could turn up a copy of the link for that application.

For those with a 540 model ONLY and the 860 map, you may want to try downgrading your app to 9.053 from this link.

BUT

Make SURE you make an Explorer, not Home, backup of your unit's contents FIRST!!!

Ask a Question