First GPS Suggestion

Hi all,

First post, New to GPS, this will be my first GPS. I wanted to know from the owners as a first GPS do you guys think The TOMTOM 720 is GOOD. I have also looked at the Garmin 660. But I am confused as to which One should I buy. I see that with Tomtom there is a lot of customization that can be done, but a lot of people are also complaining about the accuracy, that most of the time the distances are off by a couple of feet. I have also read that the Garmin has better layout in terms or userfriendlyness and ll that.

if someone could tell me as to the whether I should consider the Tomtom 720 or not.

Hi all,

First post, New to GPS, this will be my first GPS. I wanted to know from the owners as a first GPS do you guys think The TOMTOM 720 is GOOD. I have also looked at the Garmin 660. But I am confused as to which One should I buy. I see that with Tomtom there is a lot of customization that can be done, but a lot of people are also complaining about the accuracy, that most of the time the distances are off by a couple of feet. I have also read that the Garmin has better layout in terms or userfriendlyness and ll that.

if someone could tell me as to the whether I should consider the Tomtom 720 or not.

Within a couple of feet is pretty accurate to me. If a GPS can get me within a couple feet of a store, I bet I could locate it visually. If it gets me that close to someone's house, I can find the address.

That said, I love my TomTom 720 so far. My only complaint is the restaurant POI's aren't organized by restaurant type, but that's only a minor issue with me. I've had no problem finding a restaurant I want to go to by name.

If I want to try a new Indian restaurant, I'll look it up online and check reviews.. I won't be trying a new place based on it being listed in a GPS.

Anyway, I say go for the TomTom.. It's sweet.

Returned my 720, was off by many many feet at highway speeds. I can't have a gps that shows my car 1000-1500 feet behind where it actually is (and I drive the speed limit on highways). Because of this it does not show you the detail view of the upcoming exit so that you can get off until it is too late. There are a number of other significant issues I encountered, chiefly bizzare routing. Found a site where they compared the new Garmins, Magelleans, and 720, in every case the 720's routing was 30% longer with 30% more time taken (using FASTEST mode). Icing on the cake was last Thur when I had to tend to a medical emergency 25 miles away that should be a straignt-shot from where I departed, the thing tried to swing me wildly left and right of the route in search of highways....I was on a highway.
I'm looking to try out a Nuvi 650 or Magellean 4040.

thanks for the replies, I guess I can live with some of the minor problems that the 720 has, and I am assuming that every GPS has its own pros and cons. With the price being a big factor I guess the TT720 fits the bill, similar garmin GPS would cost me a lot.

Anyways, I have heard that with TT one can install 3rd part applications, Is this true with TT720 as well. If so what are the most commonly used 3rd party favorite applications that people use the most. Is there somewhere I can find a list of 3rd party applications for the TT720, are those applications free or one has to buy them.

lastly, where is the best place to buy the TT720, just in case if it has problems I can return it easily. I checked Costco Online and they don't have it. Any other place that you guys would suggest.

Returned my 720, was off by many many feet at highway speeds. I can't have a gps that shows my car 1000-1500 feet behind where it actually is (and I drive the speed limit on highways). Because of this it does not show you the detail view of the upcoming exit so that you can get off until it is too late. There are a number of other significant issues I encountered, chiefly bizzare routing. Found a site where they compared the new Garmins, Magelleans, and 720, in every case the 720's routing was 30% longer with 30% more time taken (using FASTEST mode). Icing on the cake was last Thur when I had to tend to a medical emergency 25 miles away that should be a straignt-shot from where I departed, the thing tried to swing me wildly left and right of the route in search of highways....I was on a highway.
i think i've read the same website that you did when they routed the same path with each one. The time estimate for the TT may have been 30% longer, but that's because the TT's ETA is way way off, so that's really not a good thing to go by. It's route prob would take around the same amount of time or close to it as the others, but since it's ETA is off, it looks like it will take a lot longer.

Twister,
I think the routes on that trial were totally diff triggering the longer times.
I read this with great interest as I kept thinking it was my imagination when these bizzare routes kept appearring. I am seeing more recent posts indicating that this has become more apparent with the latest firmware than with older firmware (newer ain't always better).

thanks for the replies, I guess I can live with some of the minor problems that the 720 has, and I am assuming that every GPS has its own pros and cons. With the price being a big factor I guess the TT720 fits the bill, similar garmin GPS would cost me a lot.

Anyways, I have heard that with TT one can install 3rd part applications, Is this true with TT720 as well. If so what are the most commonly used 3rd party favorite applications that people use the most. Is there somewhere I can find a list of 3rd party applications for the TT720, are those applications free or one has to buy them.

lastly, where is the best place to buy the TT720, just in case if it has problems I can return it easily. I checked Costco Online and they don't have it. Any other place that you guys would suggest.

Anyone care to comment

Anyone care to comment

Sid...I see you got a response to 3rd party apps in the other forum. As to where to buy, it would help if you said where you were.

Best Buy has a no questions asked return policy for 30-days, I think.

Twister,
I think the routes on that trial were totally diff triggering the longer times.
I read this with great interest as I kept thinking it was my imagination when these bizzare routes kept appearring. I am seeing more recent posts indicating that this has become more apparent with the latest firmware than with older firmware (newer ain't always better).
the routes were different on the one i was reading too and they were either close or just slightly longer then the other 2 GPS' they compared it to, but the times often came out much longer which i chalk up to the really inaccurate ETA.

Not sure why (maybe due to updates), but I found my gf's TT One 3rd Ed to be a bit more accurate than my TT 720 (maybe my imagination)... I haven't really driven a lot to come to 100% positive conclusion yet...

Difficult decision but I chose the 720...

I went through the "analysis paralysis" between a 720, a Nuvi 660, and a Magellan 4250. I also studied these forums to see what kind of issues the other folks were having with their 720. There is no perfect choice...in the end...I'd love the 720 with Magellan's POI and AAA database as well as the Nuvi hardware implementation of their traffic receiver. Since that doesn't exist I bought the 720. I configured it up with all of the latest software and maps, it took four hours and it all works (voice input, Google maps, etc.). Have driven with it around Connecticut, down to Washington DC, and around the NYC/Westchester area. It acquires satellites quickly, its routes are on the money, it recalcs quickly, and it's stable. It's gotten me through complex traffic circles, complex intersections, and weirdly constructed local streets. No issues. Gripes...sure.....I want better POI organization and better handsfree bluetooth performance. Maybe in a future release but, for sure, this is a great unit (my 3rd navigation platform).

Jack Weintraub

So reading all your replies, there is no strong suggestion for a TT720. I wonder if I should try it myself and see how it works for me, cause my reading about GPS there is no perfect GPS out there, so each has its own pros and cons.

I am not a sams club member, and the closest one is 50 minutes away, i am wondering should I take sams club membership, so just in case I don't like the 720 I can return it and get something else.

another question, since I am in my research phase now and will be buying in the next week or so. I wanted to get as much information about the 720 as possible.

is it easy to add more POI, if so from where and how. Is it easy to customize on the TT720, for example adding speed camera, trip planning, screen dump or whatever it is called, custom voices etc,if so how and where can I get the information.

sid,
the info on the 720 reads well, some people are having great luck with them, others (like me) not so.
Feel free to try it, exercise it well during about the first 3 weeks, if you
aren't happy enough to keep it at that point you still have time to return it.
Try pricegrabber.com, I see 'em for $348, not sure if the $100 rebate still
exists, check TT's site for that, note that many merchants are excluded
from the rebate. Good luck!

Bought mine at Radio Shack

I wanted to buy it at a place that gave me at least 30 days to return with no re-stocking fee. At the time I could have bought it online at midnightbox.com for $349 and Amazon for $348. Didn't want to deal with their difficult return policies. Finally bought my 720 at Radio Shack where it was being sold for $399 after an instant rebate. Closing in on 30 days....no reason to return it.

Jack Weintraub

that most of the time the distances are off by a couple of feet.
If you make that kind of GPS and sell for 1000$, geocachers will kiss your feet and empty their savings to buy one.:D

Please let us know if there is a difference regarding the highway speed lag when you get your new nuvi or magellan because I am telling you this is the case with EVERY gps unit. I have a nuvi 350 and the same thing occurs!

With the comparison website, I've seen the same comparison reviews and just keep in mind that these are not real-time road comparisons, they're simply each unit's calculated estimate times. For all we know in real life road tests the TT could be producing the fastest routes.

Last edited:
So reading all your replies, there is no strong suggestion for a TT720. I wonder if I should try it myself and see how it works for me, cause my reading about GPS there is no perfect GPS out there, so each has its own pros and cons.

I am not a sams club member, and the closest one is 50 minutes away, i am wondering should I take sams club membership, so just in case I don't like the 720 I can return it and get something else.

another question, since I am in my research phase now and will be buying in the next week or so. I wanted to get as much information about the 720 as possible.

is it easy to add more POI, if so from where and how. Is it easy to customize on the TT720, for example adding speed camera, trip planning, screen dump or whatever it is called, custom voices etc,if so how and where can I get the information.
do you have a costco nearby? there was a poster on here would had bought a gps like 2 years ago it has then since broke. so he took it in with the receipt and they gave him the original purchase price back, 2 years later, so then he bought a newer gps. i've heard from other people too that costco does that almost anything, 100% satisfaction guarantee.

If i hadn't got mine as a gift i would totally do this. buy something, use it for a couple years or until i want an upgrade, stick a paperclip in the wrong part, screw it up, and go get a new one.

my brother in law had a coworker that broke the lcd on their camera and the place told them they wouldn't fix it, but if something was wrong with other parts of the camera as well she would just get a new one for free. so she gave it to him, and he rigged it up with a paperclip and way too much power and fried it for her, bam, new camera.

Will do NJ,
I've used 3 diff types and brands, this is the only one I've had difficulty with, who knows, maybe mine was defective.

Justed ordered the NUVI 650, I should be able to provide feedback sometime after it arrives. My fingers are crossed.

I'm not so much concerned about the devices estimated times (the actual drive times matched pretty well) as the wierd routing and delay in showing me the exits [if I'm passing the desired exit when it first comes into view on the gps I can't work with that, there are quite a few places I go where highway exits are 3 abreast and only a few hundred feet apart, I can't react if I can't see it on the maps.]
I'll let you know one way or another NJ.

Ask a Question