files on sd card instead of on GO 730

TomTom Model(s)
Go720
For some reason, the maps and a bunch of other files ended up on my SD card rather than in the internal memory. I have both backed up. Is it possible to have everything on the internal memory and just my music on my SD card? If so what's the best way to do it?

Thanks,(again)
Gridlok

When you use Home to update and are given a choice of sd card or internal, a bug in the application sometimes causes the download NOT to go where you selelcted but, rather, to the other storage location --- or both! :eek:

That's what may have happened.

In any event, you can have just the mp3 files on a sdhc card as long as they are in a folder called mp3 (all lower case, no quotes).

Use Explorer to move your mp3 files there.

Okay thanks. The thing is, I don't think the files got installed properly to the internal drive, (I see no maps, for example).
If I remove the SD card and hook up to TT Home, will it re-install to the internal?

Gridlok

I'm not sure what you are worrying about.

On a 730, you can have the maps on the card OR internal. The same with the mp3s.

I would like my TT to work with or without the card in it. In other words, independently. I would also like to have just the music on my card so I can format it, change music, change cards, whatever. Also, when I put the card into my computer, it wants to start TT Home!

So, how can I do this?

Gridlok

Use Explorer and move the map folder to internal.

Your application is on internal. Have nothing on the card except for the mp3 folder with files in it.

You can use the unit without the card (and no mp3's)

Put in the card and you can have full use AND mp3's

Finally, you can ALSO have a mp3 folder on internal AND on the card. The unit will see all the mp3 files in both as if it were one large folder.

When I start my TT hooked up to my computer without the card in, it doesn't ask me if I want to connect to the computer. It automatically starts TT Home. Also, in Explorer, it shows 1.91 GB on the internal drive. It seems there are other things missing or corrupted.
I would like to start fresh with all TT stuff on my internal drive complete, operating, and ready to go.

How can I do this?

Gridlok

It is normal to just show 1.91 gb. There is a section that is hidden and not available.

I've told you how to accomplish what you want. I know no better way to explain it. Hopefully others will be clearer in the explanation.

I was hoping to start fresh, knowing ALL the files including the maps are on my internal drive. If the glitchy software installed some files to my internal and some to my card, I am thinking there may be other errors on the internal drive.
On my old GO 720, I was told to format the internal and let it connect to TT Home to re-install thefiles. Would this make sense?

Thanks, Gridlok

So I formatted the internal and reinstallled the files off the website (without the card in), but no maps were installed. Then, in Explorer I took the maps from my SD card and put them on my internal drive. When I start my TT, it says No maps found, even though Explorer shows them.

Is there anything more I can do?

Gridlok

I ran clearflash 3 times. I was prompted to put in the sd card.
Seems to be stuck on the page with the pic of the TT on it and says no maps found, (which ARE on the sd card).

I don't know quite what to say??

Gridlok

I just discovered I had put an old sd card (not hc) in my TT, rather than the 4 G hc that I bought for it . :eek: Now I have no maps on the internal, on my card OR on my backup. I can return the unit because it's only 10 days old. Or can I get the maps back somehow?

Sorry 'bout that.
Gridlok

Do you have a card reader? If so, put the old card in the card reader and copy the map folder to the computer using Explorer. Then use Explorer to copy the same folder to the PROPER SDHC card.

If you don't have a card reader, insert the old card into the unit, connect to the computer and again use Explorer (NOT Home) to move the map folder to the computer. Then insert the sdhc card in the unit and copy the map from the computer to the sdhc card.

Acually, what I did was returned the 730 and got a new one. (Thanks Futureshop). Everything is on the internal drive and the GPS and Bluetooth work normally. YAY!

Now my problem, (which is much less of a problem) is that it doesn't seem to want to read my 4GB SDHC card filled with MP3s.
Sigh.
Gridlok

Ask a Question