List of files on SD card

A friend of mine has a GO300 and, being a technophobe, he asked me to help him download a new map. I have done this before successfully, but have found the process not straightforward. Instead of TomTom Home automatically replacing the existing map with the new one, it has always just downloaded the map and left it to me to manually load it onto the SD card. However, this time something has gone wrong and I now have 2 maps in different locations on the card and am now confused as to what files should and shouldn't be present.

Can anyone please give me a definitive list of the files and folders I should have so that I can delete those that shouldn't be there? I have tried to compare the files with those of my original TomTom Go but they seem to differ in certain instances.

If the whole card is screwed up, can I take the back-up and download the new map again, or will TomTom assume I have had it once and must pay again?

Your help much appreciated.

If you downloaded a map, it should be found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\yourname\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\maps\

What may have happened is that the new map installed has a slightly different name that that of the map folder previously installed on the card, so you have a second map folder on the unit.

Does the unit see the new map when you turn it on?

Use Explorer to look at the contents of each map folder on the card (if that is the situation). Look for a text file with the extension of .pna.

Open with Notepad and you'll see the map installed and the version. Presumably, you'd want to keep the map folder (and contents) of the newest map download.

Use Explorer to move the older map folder to the computer.

See if that works.

Ask a Question