Fatal SD problem

TomTom Model(s)
Tomtom GO 510
I have a TomTom GO 510 with several years unblemished service. The battery died long ago, so I keep it on charge when I need it in the car. No problem.

About a week ago, it started telling me that the SD card was invalid.

When I plug the SD card into my Mac, it tells me - via "DiskUtilty" that it's buggered. More technically, its found some "orphaned clusters". Whatever that means. Anyway, it's apparently "unrepairable".

Any ideas what I should do?

Oh yes, to add insult to injury, I'm sorry to say that I've lost my "dock" - too many house moves.

Suggestions very gratefully received.

Best wishes to all.

Backup

Thanks for your reply.

No, probably no backup - although I think I may have discovered the problem...

(I am ashamed to say it ...)

I may have inadvertently hit the little slidy-thingy on the side and locked the SD disk. I had no idea until about 5 minutes ago that it was possible ...

I will try it again in the morning and re-post if the problem persists.

[Incidentally, I note there is no emoticon for 'shame'. What would it look like, I wonder, a shamicon?]

The little "slidy-thingy" is there to write-protect the device. I can't imagine why having it in that position would cause your Mac to advise that the card is 'buggered'. However, as the TomTom needs to write to that card (fairly often), it's understandable that the device complained.

When on the Mac using Finder, are you able to discern a file structure there of any sort? The KEY element is any UK/ROI or W Europe map folder that might be present on the SD card. That device has NO internal memory, so whatever you've still got, it's there or nowhere if you don't have a backup of any sort.

Which brings us back to a possibility. While you have no backup, have you ever purchased an updated map since back in 2006 or whenever it was you bought this unit? If so, do you still have the PC used at that time?

Write-protect is not the problem

Hi Canderson

Thanks for the reply. Apologies for the B word! A quick test has determined that the write-protect tab has no effect on the 510's continuing complaint that the SD card is ...er, unusable (I get a little animation with the SD card being crossed-out).

However, I can read the card on my mac, and without write-protect in place the card passes DiscUtility without a problem.

The file-structure is all there and the map folder seems to be intact (see screen shots).

Any thoughts gratefully received on how to get my 510 back in order.

Thanks again.

DJ

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-06-10 at 10.16.18.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-06-10 at 10.16.18.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 401
  • Screen shot 2012-06-10 at 10.15.45.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-06-10 at 10.15.45.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 426
Looks pretty good from this side - encouraging, actually. No worries on the 'b' word - just that I suspected that it wasn't appropriate to the situation (e.g., that your Mac shouldn't complain just due to the write lock position - which appears to be the case).

I'm no x10 era expert, so before you get on with the fix, I'd like some of the guys who date back that far to assure that my recommendation is correct for a device with no internal memory before we provide you with specific details.

What I imagine will need to be done will be to use your Mac to copy ALL of the content of that SD card to your hard drive, folder of your choice, format the card, connect back up to Home to refresh all of the firmware (that's going to be offered automatically) and then slide your map folder back onto the card from the backup from your Mac... all in hopes that all of the content of the map folder is still intact. That's always the key. If you have a functional map folder, you can get out of nearly any ditch with these older devices.

Worst case, if the card itself is at fault, it may be necessary to try to source another SD card, but finding the older NON HCSD cards isn't always easy.

Brilliant. Thanks. I think I have lost the USB cradle, so will need to order one from Ebay/amazon and then try what you have suggested. I appreciate your help and advice. Best wishes.

Hang on..... Why do you need the USB cradle?
There's no internal memory on a Go510, so can't you just pop the SD card out into a reader and plug that into the PC?

He may well be unaware that a card populated with the device's operating system will bring up Home just as if it were installed in the unit. Waiting to see if he returns with news.

Greetings once again, dear friends. I bring good tidings.

It has been a Tolkeinesque aeon since I bought this machine and so had forgotten the application lurking in a distant recess of my hard-drive. Thank you for reminding me.

By running "Home", I discovered no less than 68 updates waiting for me. I am now fortunate to have a database of all the speed cameras in Finland. Right there, my friends, is the power of the internet.

I also discovered that I do have a backup - dated June 2007 - but rather than revert to this I first re-installed the Application (little NavCore 6.25 - poor lost cousin of more recent versions) and went outside again (My 510, chubby thing that it is, has a defunct battery, and I can only test or use it by plugging it into the cigarette lighter).

With a quick 'firmware flash' - whatever that is - the little fellow is now working once again.

No doubt the poor thing will occasionally be troubled by my car driving over places that it thinks are fields (the A14 being a notable example) - but I am delighted that I haven't had to spend another £300 on an upgrade and put the little mite in the bin.

For that I am grateful to you all - and to and everything that makes the internet a possibility. It really is a marvel.

DJ

Ask a Question