download addresses from pc

em8

can destination addresses be downloaded to xxl 550? using what kind of sftwr ? inconvenient to type in on gps device

You can store locations as POI (Points of interest). You can either do that on the device itself or you can load files.
the file format for TomToms is .ov2.

A couple of good programs to create those files are "Tyre" and "POI Edit" (but POIEdit is having problems with it's Google map interface at the moment)

Once you've made them, the files need to be copied into your "map folder" - that's the folder on the TomTom with the same name as the map you're using.
I can't suggest what exact name your map folder will have as you haven't put your location in your profile, but it will be something like "North America" or "USA+Canada" or "Western Europe".

If you use Tyre, then it can copy them to the TomTom for you.

Tyre -
http://www.tyretotravel.com/download-tyre/

POIEdit -
http://www.poiedit.com/downloads.htm (don't download "MyPOIManager" by mistake)

@Andy
Have we confirmed that POIEdit is having a 'problem' with its interface, or that they have given up Google altogether due to Google's imposition of the new fee structure? I'm seeing more and more applications from small and medium sized companies bailing from Google due to the cost issues. Several have moved to OpenStreetMaps as their new source for map data.

@Canderson. Yes, the "problem" is definitely just down to them just not wanting to pay Google's new fees. I just couldn't be bothered to write out all the reasons (and the workround) for a first post, especially when Tyre is probably a better tool for the OP's needs.

This topic: POIEdit & Google Map API has all the info anyone could ever want (and more!) on why it happened and a way to get round it, (The workround was still working when I tried it just now).

Ask a Question