Does your Go920 brings you in front of the entered address ?

I downloaded the 7.15 version, and for me it is worst than before.

I looks like the addresses are not as off as before, maybe 1/4 mile in place of 1/2 mile, but now it's the directions that are all mixed up.

And more, in my town, I was asking in the POI for a restaurant, or a gas station, and it was giving me places in a different city, and as far as 135 miles away. I tried it a few times, and always the same results. The I tried different cities, and it always give me POI from another place...

Really Tomtom is a bad Cie.

George

Select poi choice 'near me', not 'in city'

You don't see a green arrow on the screen pointing the direction of the next turn?
No. Where is this green arrow? is it in the bottom left corner or on the map? Is in on the car symbol? I see no arrow.

In the bottom left corner, there is a flag for the destination.
On the map, there is a flag on the road with no indication on which side of the road the destination is on.

it sais "arrive at desitation in 500 feet" and then the flag and nothing else. NO indication of which side it's on.

Am I missing something?

ps I'm coutnerpt from above (the site won't let me log in so I reregistered)

You don't see this:

arrow.jpg

That arrow is the shortcut to the quickmenu, is it not?

It has never changed directions, doesn't it always looks like that?

I can't tell if you're making a joke :)

That arrow is the shortcut to the quickmenu, is it not?

It has never changed directions, doesn't it always looks like that?

I can't tell if you're making a joke :)

Sorry, I put up the wrong screen capture. No, wasn't joking. When you are navigating to a route, there will be, or should be, an arrow showing the next direction. However, it's a white arrow and located on the bottom left of your screen to the left of the distance indicator to the next turn. When the map shows the flag for the final destination point and you hear 'you have reached your destination', the arrow shows which direction to turn on the road to the destination. At least it does on mine.

Sorry about the graphic confusion. Too tired I guess.

Sorry, I put up the wrong screen capture. No, wasn't joking. When you are navigating to a route, there will be, or should be, an arrow showing the next direction. However, it's a white arrow and located on the bottom left of your screen to the left of the distance indicator to the next turn. When the map shows the flag for the final destination point and you hear 'you have reached your destination', the arrow shows which direction to turn on the road to the destination. At least it does on mine.

Sorry about the graphic confusion. Too tired I guess.

Thanks. Mine doesn't show an arrow.

So let's say the destination is a store 1 mile away and it's on the left side. I'm already on the road the shop is on. I'm driving along towards the store. It only shows me the flag (since there are no more turns) with no indication which side of the road the store is on. The arrow from previous directions is completely replaced with a flag and only a flag. (I used to have a Garmin (lost it), it was great, it would say: arriving at "store" on left. So in a crowded city with multiple lanes, you know which direction the store is at so you're not in the wrong lane at the last minute...)

Again, thank you.

Thanks. Mine doesn't show an arrow.

So let's say the destination is a store 1 mile away and it's on the left side. I'm already on the road the shop is on. I'm driving along towards the store. It only shows me the flag (since there are no more turns) with no indication which side of the road the store is on. The arrow from previous directions is completely replaced with a flag and only a flag. (I used to have a Garmin (lost it), it was great, it would say: arriving at "store" on left. So in a crowded city with multiple lanes, you know which direction the store is at so you're not in the wrong lane at the last minute...)

Again, thank you.
When I'm approaching my destination there is still a green arrow on the screen on the street that I'm on. Usually the tip of that arrow will be curved to the right or left pointing at the destination flag. I'm not sure how close you have to be to the destination point for that to appear but I always see it when navigating to a specific address. I have a 920.
John

Garbage in Garbage out

I'm so glad to see this post.

I've complained to Tom Tom about the exact same thing. My 910 was amazingly accurate 99% of the time. My 920 is OFF by more than a tenth of a mile 2 out of every 3 times. Last week it was OFF by 4 full miles! 1/2 mile and 8 tenths of a mile are not uncommon on the house numbers.

Every time I call they act like I'm the only person who has ever told them about this! One time, however, I got a CSR named Heidi - she told me that they did know about it. The next time I called he said he hadn't heard of the problem before and I took the opportunity to tell them about what "Heidi" had told me. He actually told me she must have been lying to me. I bet they fired her for telling me the truth.

I hate my TomTom and can't wait to get another company's GPS. I plan to make a YouTube video of all the times my Tom Tom 920 tells me to turn "left" when it should be right, or tells me to turn in the middle of a corn field. It's such a shame because my Tom Tom 910 was awesome (the map was a 6.XXX something).

Garbage in Garbage out
I see on this and other sites people complaining about the maps and POI on this or that GPS.
I agree a GPS should be able to get you where you want to go but if the info in the GPS is incorrect then it will take you to the destination that it has in its memory.

The way I see it a GPS is basically a small computer and no mater what GPS you have the map Data is provided by another map data company like Tele-Atlas for Tom-Tom Navteq for Garmin etc. etc.

That being said if the data provided by the map companies is inaccurate then your GPS will not give you the correct information.
Like they say in computer data entry garbage in garbage out.

I would suggest that before complaining about this or that being off go take a look at the map data company’s website or a site like Map Quest or Google Maps and look up an address and see where it takes you.

I for one like Google Maps as you can look at it from a Google earth view as well as street map. (Powered by Navteq, Garmins data source )

Just ask Goggle Maps for a POI in your area and see how accurate it is, if it is off a bit you can actually edit it and drag the arrow to the correct location. I have seen and corrected several in my area.

The street that I live on in the winter has an intersection conection to another street that dosn't exist as I live in a gated comunity and there is a fence at the end of my street between the two streets and not an intersection.

Not to leave Tele-Atlas out as TT gets it’s map data from them and if you were to go to Tela-Atlas site and look at a Hwy in Nova Scotia it will show say Hwy 101 as
( Hwy 101 US 101 ) not only is this off a lot but to the best of my knowledge there isn’t any United States Hwys in Canada .

I could go on with different mistakes on these map Data sites but as I said before garbage in garbage out..

Last edited:
When I'm approaching my destination there is still a green arrow on the screen on the street that I'm on. Usually the tip of that arrow will be curved to the right or left pointing at the destination flag. I'm not sure how close you have to be to the destination point for that to appear but I always see it when navigating to a specific address. I have a 920.
John

This is strange. Mine just has the flag in the middle of the road and no arrows pointing to it. I have a 920T (bought at Best Buy in Feb).
I tried different POIs and all the same. hmmm.

Thank you very much.

This is strange. Mine just has the flag in the middle of the road and no arrows pointing to it. I have a 920T (bought at Best Buy in Feb).
I tried different POIs and all the same. hmmm.

Thank you very much.

Are you zoomed in far enough to see the arrowhead?

Are you zoomed in far enough to see the arrowhead?

It was set to auto zoom.
I tried it zoomed in all the way and zoomed out all the way. I'm in 3-D mode.
Zoomed in all the way: big street, little flag in the middle of the street.
Zoomed out all the way: big flag, little street.
No hint of direction.

I'll try to drive around some more.

Do you get the a the arrowhead for preinstalled POIs or addresses you have put in yourself.

Maybe I'll rest to factory setting and try again...

I see the arrow on addresses I have added in and using 3D mode.

OK when I enter an address manually then it'll indicate on which side of the road it's on.

99.9% of the time I use the POIs. Now I have to manually look them up re-enter the address in the device. All so I can get what side of the road it's on. Great. Thanks TomTom.

The whole point of this is to automate this kind of waste of time.

I'm selling it on ebay and getting a Garmin. What a POS. (assuming nothing else breaks with another update, and I don't have to reset is 12 times today).

Thank you again for the help.

Last edited:
It was set to auto zoom.
I tried it zoomed in all the way and zoomed out all the way. I'm in 3-D mode.
Zoomed in all the way: big street, little flag in the middle of the street.
Zoomed out all the way: big flag, little street.
No hint of direction.

I'll try to drive around some more.

Do you get the a the arrowhead for preinstalled POIs or addresses you have put in yourself.

Maybe I'll rest to factory setting and try again...

It only shows when you arrive, not during the planning stage!

OK when I enter an address manually then it'll indicate on which side of the road it's on.

99.9% of the time I use the POIs. Now I have to manually look them up re-enter the address in the device. All so I can get what side of the road it's on. Great. Thanks TomTom.

The whole point of this is to automate this kind of waste of time.

I'm selling it on ebay and getting a Garmin. What a POS. (assuming nothing else breaks with another update, and I don't have to reset is 12 times today).

Thank you again for the help.

Why the heck do you need to reset so often???

I have not had to do one in 3 weeks.

Why the heck do you need to reset so often???

I have not had to do one in 3 weeks.

I exaggerated for effect, but I do have to reset almost during every trip.

One time the ipod wouldn't sound through it.
One time it was way off (position)
One time it wouldn't accept voice commands. (and of course with the new update voice recognition stopped just like everyone else's)
One time because it refused to find any satellites in the open.

Something is always off. I feel like I'm testing the product for them.

I'm sorry, I'm just very angry/disappointed with this thing.

Ask a Question