Does your Go920 brings you in front of the entered address ?

Hi !

Just a simple question.

Does your Go920 brings you in front of the entered address ? or does it drive you 1/4 to 1/2 mile off ?

I was never, never able to get to the door of any address I entered, always off by big margin.

I do not see people complaining about this, so am asking my self, am I the only one with this problem ?

Thanks,
George

Hi !

Just a simple question.

Does your Go920 brings you in front of the entered address ? or does it drive you 1/4 to 1/2 mile off ?

I was never, never able to get to the door of any address I entered, always off by big margin.

I do not see people complaining about this, so am asking my self, am I the only one with this problem ?

Thanks,
George

Depends upon the accuracy of the map for the specific address. TT shows my own house address being 8 houses away from where it really is. Other addresses I've navigated to are totally accurate. It's somewhat of a crapshoot.

Understand as well that often TT calculates addresses using a RANGE of numbers, meaning if it knows a certain street has a number range of 1-20, for example, and these houses reside on a street that is 2000 feet long, it'll assume each street number is 2000/20 or 100 feet from the next street address. Sometimes, this works out reasonably well. Other times, not so much.

How do you know that you arrived ? By the voice or by the arrival flag with the distance count down in the status bar ?
You should look at the count down distance until it hit 0, and the flag disappears. Even so it's not uncommon that it can be off by 50m or more. Addresses are geocoded in blocks, not invidually for every houses.
This subject has been discussed several times.
People switch from GPS to GPS expecting them to be perfect. They won't find perfection in any of them, GPS are only helpers - we still have to use our eyes, ears and brains.

How do you know that you arrived ? By the voice or by the arrival flag with the distance count down in the status bar ?
You should look at the count down distance until it hit 0, and the flag disappears. Even so it's not uncommon that it can be off by 50m or more. Addresses are geocoded in blocks, not invidually for every houses.
This subject has been discussed several times.
People switch from GPS to GPS expecting them to be perfect. They won't find perfection in any of them, GPS are only helpers - we still have to use our eyes, ears and brains.

My GO910 that I had last year was really accurate, and the first GPS that i got a Pioneer AVIC-S1 which I still have is always super accurate, when it says that I have reach my destination, I just have to look over my shoulder and read the house number, am at the door steps of this address.

One last example, my fiend has a Garmin hand held LCD device, which he also use for marine navigation. I have tried is old device, and it is perfect, again it bring me in front of my house.

George

You're right...we have to use our brains & eyes to straighten things out. I've had a 4+ year old Roadmate 700 and it has brought me to every destination faithfully. Heck, it even tells you which side of the street to look on! :D
This is the only drawback that I have with owning a new TT 920. Great machine, but in my humble opionion, TeleAtlas needs a lot of work. I still use the RoadMate in emergencies to obtain roads not listed on the TT920. :p

Cheers!

Mine is off just short of a mile with almost every street here in San Antonio, New Braunfels, and Austin, TX. It's the same reason why the POI's are off by about a mile, too...

Someone else with the 6xx series of maps were right on. Supposedly the 715 maps are much more accurate (I can't tell since I have to buy them since TomTom won't take my code for the 1 Year Map upgrade).

Wow! :eek: That's excessive to be approx 1 mile out. I guess the only way to get TT to listen is to keep lodging complaints. I know on my mappings on northern routes I tend to be driving on lakes instead of roads. I'm hopeful that TeleAtlas/TT will fix these issues. :D

Cheers,

You're right...we have to use our brains & eyes to straighten things out. I've had a 4+ year old Roadmate 700 and it has brought me to every destination faithfully. Heck, it even tells you which side of the street to look on! :D
This is the only drawback that I have with owning a new TT 920. Great machine, but in my humble opionion, TeleAtlas needs a lot of work. I still use the RoadMate in emergencies to obtain roads not listed on the TT920. :p

Cheers!
Yes your Roadmate might be better in that area, but might give headache in others - I don't know, I never tried a Magellan. It all depends on what you can withstand, what you cannot.
I read on forums complaints about any GPS out there be it Garmin, Tomtom, Magellan , Mio ...
The only reason that I love about TomTom, is when you decide to deviate from the route it decided, it will not complain, and plenty of customization you can do with the device.

Cheers!

The 920 shows you the side of the street the destination is on. Look at the arrow!

Mine has never been more than a block off. I haven't paid attention to whether the arrow pointed to the correct side of the street, but I have noticed the arrow.

I'm so glad to see this post.

I've complained to Tom Tom about the exact same thing. My 910 was amazingly accurate 99% of the time. My 920 is OFF by more than a tenth of a mile 2 out of every 3 times. Last week it was OFF by 4 full miles! 1/2 mile and 8 tenths of a mile are not uncommon on the house numbers.

Every time I call they act like I'm the only person who has ever told them about this! One time, however, I got a CSR named Heidi - she told me that they did know about it. The next time I called he said he hadn't heard of the problem before and I took the opportunity to tell them about what "Heidi" had told me. He actually told me she must have been lying to me. I bet they fired her for telling me the truth.

I hate my TomTom and can't wait to get another company's GPS. I plan to make a YouTube video of all the times my Tom Tom 920 tells me to turn "left" when it should be right, or tells me to turn in the middle of a corn field. It's such a shame because my Tom Tom 910 was awesome (the map was a 6.XXX something).

Maby you need a GPSFIX, I have a XLS and it bring me exactly to it. For those that it dose not... it is MAP errors, they must be corrected.

Hi guy's, am the one that started this thread.

I am very happy whit all your replies, this way I see that am not the only one with that problem.

This afternoon, I called Tomtom to complain about this matter for a fifth time, and i was told by the tomtom employee that the GO 20's series's where design this way. She actually said to me that it was meant to be off by 1/2 mile... Can you believe this ? I was out of my self, I could not believe what she ad just said to me.

Anyway, after that, I asked for a supervisor. Someone helped me much better than the first one. I told her about what I was just been told, and she said that it was absolutely false.

To make my story short, she offered me to replace my unit, very nice thank you but am pretty sure it's not the unit by itself, but a mapping problem.

And after she offered me to try the new map V7.15 for free, to see if it's Any better.

And she also put me down for the next major upgrade for free.

So all this very good treatment from Tomtom is telling me they know about this matter, and they are trying to fix it. But the problem here is we did not get Any discount for all these problems, these unit's, when they it the store shelves, they are supposed to work correctly, I don't want to wait for ever for them to fix it, because we do not enjoy our GPS.

George

I just downloaded the new 7.15 update, and it is not better than the previous 7.10 version. At Tomtom they told me that it could be more accurate, and I should try it, to see if it was better.

To my regrets, it not better at all. To test it, I have picked a restaurant in the POI of the GPS, and I asked near my location. So it guided me to the good street, but just before turning on the destination street, this is where it made an error, it made me turn right when the restaurant was just 100 feet on the left. So when you don't know the restaurant address, and that your looking for the restaurant sign, well you have to rely on the GPS indications. But when it's not even able to put you on the right course... you will look for that sign for a while before noticing you are not at the right place.

I don't know what to say anymore.

They tell me that all GPS are this way off, is it true ?
Not guiding me at the front door is one thing, but not even get me in the right direction is a big flaw.

I am done with Tomtom. Imagine I spent all that money on devices
(one, GO 720, and one,GO920T) that are not well design, and have engineering flaws.

Could you refer a good GPS that does what it is supposed to do get me to my destinations ?

George

If you can get a TomTom 910 with a map version that was about three years old - you will have an awesome GPS (maybe on ebay?). Unfortunately, you can never update the map and will miss out on new highways and neighborhoods.

I "updated" mine when I had a small problem with the 910 - now it's gone forever and I'm stuck with the 920. I would go back to my 910 in a heartbeat if I could.

If you can get a TomTom 910 with a map version that was about three years old - you will have an awesome GPS (maybe on ebay?). Unfortunately, you can never update the map and will miss out on new highways and neighborhoods.

I "updated" mine when I had a small problem with the 910 - now it's gone forever and I'm stuck with the 920. I would go back to my 910 in a heartbeat if I could.

Is it the maps you guys talk about?

I have my old 910 maps (version 6) on an SD card in the 920! I have 6 maps in my 920, so I dont see what the problem is.

Also, are you guys having the problem navigationg to addresses or POIs? I think that you have inaccurate POI data that need to be changed by mapshare, i dont think the actual addresses are the issue. POIs are stored by GPS coordinates that may indeed be wrong. Many have reported this. Try navigating to that Restaurant by actual addy and see if its better than using "navigate to" the POI.

My problems are with addresses. The POI's are so far off or non-existent in my area that I don't use them much.

I was told I couldn't get the map I used to have in my 910 on the 920. But, of course that came from TT Customer Service so they were probably wrong.

I'd love to have my map from my old 910 back! Please let me know if this is possible and how I could get a copy of it.

Is it the maps you guys talk about?

I have my old 910 maps (version 6) on an SD card in the 920! I have 6 maps in my 920, so I dont see what the problem is.

Also, are you guys having the problem navigationg to addresses or POIs? I think that you have inaccurate POI data that need to be changed by mapshare, i dont think the actual addresses are the issue. POIs are stored by GPS coordinates that may indeed be wrong. Many have reported this. Try navigating to that Restaurant by actual addy and see if its better than using "navigate to" the POI.

Hi,

Actually, it's the addresses that I have problems with. It's so off, that I do not see the usefulness of a Tomtom GPS.

Me also regrets the accuracy of my GO910.

George

My problems are with addresses. The POI's are so far off or non-existent in my area that I don't use them much.

I was told I couldn't get the map I used to have in my 910 on the 920. But, of course that came from TT Customer Service so they were probably wrong.

I'd love to have my map from my old 910 back! Please let me know if this is possible and how I could get a copy of it.

Steve I sent you a PM.

I downloaded the 7.15 version, and for me it is worst than before.

I looks like the addresses are not as off as before, maybe 1/4 mile in place of 1/2 mile, but now it's the directions that are all mixed up.

And more, in my town, I was asking in the POI for a restaurant, or a gas station, and it was giving me places in a different city, and as far as 135 miles away. I tried it a few times, and always the same results. The I tried different cities, and it always give me POI from another place...

Really Tomtom is a bad Cie.

George

Ask a Question