Difference between Tomtom 510 and 710 please

The 510 (and the 710) had everything on a SD card. I still think you will want to get a new 2 gb card. You could try one now, or wait until you get the new SD card with app and map from TomTom.

If the "dhn resets" do not help, you are definitely dealing with corrupted files in the map folder. If you can't get past them using the new 2 gb card, then wipe it and copy over everything from the new TT supplied card.

You should have a good clean install. Make a good backup of it as-is, and then do the incremental item backups with Home I suggested earlier. This will make it easy to handle any problems in the future.

Card arrived this morning. THat was a quick service. Considering it has come from Netherlands only took 2 days.

1st thing I did was to back it up on my computer fully.

It is a 1Gb card. So have ordered a 2Gb SD card from bay. Give it a go now and lets hope this is what the problems were!

By all accounts, it sounds like only a software issue. As you are going to get a clean start, so you should be fine - let us know.

well the tomtom is now up and runnig again with no problems.

It seems that there was a corruption somewhere. New SD card in, all ok. Upgraded back to 7.903, and it is all ok. Tomtom is still working ok.

But incase someting goes wrong, I have backup of the full card on my harddrive at the moment, backup of the original SD card as sent to me unchanged.

gald to hear that.

Again, I suggest you "Copy to Computer" with Home your application (and do so whenever you install a new app), map, and anything else that is unique to your application.

You will end up with an easily reinstalled set of applications (so rolling back is a snap if needed), plus anything else that might need to be reinstalled - especially as you add things not on the recent complete backup.

Firmware 7.9 confuses my 510 to believe it?s a 710

I am posting this here instead of starting a new thread as the issue may be related and is not critical either.

I just got a refurbished TT Go 510 and it seems to work okay. However, I need expert?s opinion on couple of things I found to be odd:

I am using TomTom home version 2.5.2.60

1) Under the device sub menu of Home application ?change device? option is grayed out. (I thought you can use it to toggle between the device internal memory and the sd card), is there any way to browse the 510 internal memory on computer?

2) Should the value of ?DeviceName? field match with the ?DeviceVersionHW? field under the ttgo.bif file contents found within the system information? For me it shows as two separate models altogether one indicates 510 the later 710!

3) Although no biggie, but the confused 510 talks like a European 710 even when I use US voices for example it calls a ?freeway? as a ?motorway?. Are there other ramifications to this?

Thanks in advance!

If the sd card in x10 models does not have the system files on it, the firmware does not 'see' the card at all.

Use Windows Explorer to examine the contents of the unit.

If the sd card in x10 models does not have the system files on it, the firmware does not 'see' the card at all.

Use Windows Explorer to examine the contents of the unit.

Thank you for your response, I am able to view the contents of the SD card when inserted in the 510 (using both TT Home app and Windows Explorer) or even via any generic card reader, using windows explorer.

However, I am not able to view the internal memory (Flash memory) of the 510 by any means at all; does the 510 have any internal memory at all? Where does the firmware reside then?

the 510/710 does not have an internal memory like the x20, x30 units. The 910 is the only device in the x10 range that has the internal memory.

Ask a Question