Difference between Tomtom 510 and 710 please

Hi

Until recently, I always thought I have a Tomtom go510 series. Part of the tomtom works kit that all our companies cars have been equiped with.

However, I connected my go to the tomtom home about 2weeks ago, and it updated the firmware to the Version 7.903! :(

Ever sine I have had none stop problems of the unit freezing up and ...
Now the unit has completely crashed and keeps freezing within 3seconds of booting up and reboots itself.

I have had a look at both tomtom home version I have on my pc, and both say the tomtom is a Go710?!
Can this be the problem?

I have searched everywhere for the differences between the 2, but can only find one difference, and it is the SD card. Go510 comes with the map of UK, where as 710 comes with the map of Western Europe! Apart from that, all specs are exactly the same.

Can someone please help me find out what is going on with the damn thing.

I have spoken to the TT support, and they said they think it is a SD card issue and gonna send me a new card in the post for the 710.

Is there any major differences between 510 and 710 that could be causing this?

Before the update, all was fine. I have now even tried to rollback the firmware to 7.161, and still does the same thing!

I can't even back up the bloody thing, as it keeps crashin with a error that couldn't back up a file in 'Raster'.

So now stuck with a none wokring tomtom!

Help me please!

710's and 510's are identical. It was mainly the difference in the maps that set them apart.

I am surprised that you are having a problem after your rolled back to 7.161, as that was a very stable application. At any time so far, have you tried a pin reset? Even if you have rolled back and not done that yet - it could help. Very often that clears up the crashing, etc.

Another tweak to try is the clear-flash tool after the above.

As for a backup, if you are trying to do so with TT Home - don't bother - use windows explorer (with file settings set to show hidden files and folders). Do that before you mess with it any more.

If neither of the above helps - let us know - they are more things you can try, but first see if the easy ones work.

Hi

I did try to copy everything with explorer. But that gave me error message that it couldn't copy a certain file!

So I went and explored the folder, mainly the raster folder has the problem. And there are a few files there with some strange letters and symbols in the file name. So I copied the folder to the hard drive without those few files. And it copied fine.

I then went to the main maps folder, UK_IRELAND_.... , and there were a lot of currupted infor there as well. So again I copied the folder as it was without the currupted folder. ANd it copied fine.

The rest of the contents copied all ok, no problems. The only folder I couldn't see anywhere was the postcode folder?!

I then did a full format of the SD card.

I am in the middle of the reinstalling from scratch now to see at what stage it fails?!

Pin set > No luck . I can't even do that. Itliterally locks up within 5seconds. If you mean the pin at the back, rather than a software pin test, I have done that soooo many times and still problems.

Tried the flash tool as well. Still the same.

Any other suggestions please?

Cheers

There is a place to do a physical "pin" reset in the area of the mounting connection. It is a little hard to find - if you can't find it, I believe the TomTom website has directions with a picture of its location.

I hope you have not lost anything by formatting the SD card already. It is easy to do a clean install of the SYSTEM application without a backup, but the map folder is another matter.

I have done a clean install from scratch with a formatted unit and had TT install a fresh application, then only copied over the map folder, and I was back in business.

If you have a problem with the map folder you just copied, hopefully you have another backup (even a TomTom Home backup) with the maps that you can use if the one you just copied is missing some key files).

If you have a COMPLETE backup of your TomTom with v7.161 firmware and all the maps/files/POIs, etc associated with it, then i would suggest using Windows Explorer to totally reformat your TomTom's internal memory.

* Format it with FAT32
* Use the ClearFlash Tool again to insure your buffer memory is clear
* Use Windows explorer (Not TomTom HOME) to copy your ENTIRE backup files to the TomTom

ONLY due this if you made a complete backup of every file on your TomTom when it has v7.161 on it.

Hi

Maps > I am not bothered with. As still got one years subscription to update maps. So even if some are missing, an update should sort it out.

Progress: So I did a fresh install of the firmware V7.162. Unit botsa up ok but gives me a message no maps found.

So copied the entire folder of 'UK_Ireland_...' from the backup folder to the SD card.

Booted up unit, it says ' No voices found. You will not hear drections'. clock on continue. But the damn thing had already locked up again!

SO did a pin reset of the unit from behind the unit where the connection is. Held the reset pin in with a pointy object, pressed the power, the green LED comes on. held it for 20seconds and released.

No the unit doesn't even come on! Bloody thing! It has done that before where it seemed completely dead. Left it for a few hours and started up ok. So I guess just gonna have to leave it again for couple of hours and give it a go! Damn thing is really annoying me now!

HOpefully a new SD card is on its way to me from Tomtom. But why wouldn't it even switch on now?

Connect it to the cradle, the charging lights comes on. Press the power button, nothing happens! THe PC doesn't see it either! Any suggestions?

Back to square one again.

Unit now boots up again ok. So decided to start from fresh.

1) formated the SD card fully to Fat32.
2) Ran the clear flash tool. I have dowloaded it from tomtom, so do I just run the self extracting file, or do I need to do something afterwards?

3) Reinstalled version 6.525 now and see if it helps.

No, just the installation process itself causes it to do the magic it does (but you DO have to have your unit connected to the pc).

ok. Having installed 6.5xx for about 10minutes, the unit hasn't crashed yet. Although no maps are installed. but the unit is behaving itself.

Next I am gonna install the following files from the UK_IRELAND_... map folder. Ant ideas as what they are for and what they do? As the rest of the files are all POI files, so one of the above must be the map file?

cline.dat
cnode.dat
cnet.dat
faces.dat
poi.dat
tmccodes.dat

Once this is copied, I will see what I get.

Right, I am accepting defeat with this stupid SD card.

Copying the above files, I was still getting 'No map found' message.

So I copied the entire content of the UK_IRELAND_... map folder. Now it finds the map but has started to crash again. All the POIs are also in this folder. So it is either a corrupted map, or a POI which is causing this!

Version I have rolled back to is 6.525!

So unless anyone has any better ideas, I am gonna have to wait for the new SD card to arrive before I can do anything else. In the meantime, its back to the old AtoZ! :(

Ok - lets start fresh then. It looks like you have corrupted files in addition to the application.

If you have a map subscription does it download a new map through Home if there is a new one available ?

We don't have map subscriptions over here on this side of the pond, but if a map has been purchased, downloaded, and installed through Home - it is attached to the TT account it was purchased through for one year.

This allows you to completely wipe/format the device and install the operating system. Then, when you log onto Home and update the device, it offers to download that map again.

The result - we have a fully operational clean install unit. You could then copy and paste some of the files (mapconfig, etc.) from the backup files individually over to recover some of the additions you had made to the unit.

I don't know if you did the clean system install only, and then updated the device like the above - if it would download the newest map with the map subscription - or if you first need to have an "old" map version on it.

Again - we don't have the subscriptions over here, so we are not sure how they work.

As for the no map found - if a latter operating system has been installed, it sometimes does not recognize the maps if you roll back to an earlier application.

If you get it back up this way, I would recommend you get back to 7.161, as it was a very stable application - UNLESS you have to have the latest application in order to get updated maps through the service (815 maps will not work on apps before 7.9xx).

When you get it back up, there are several things you should do to make it easier to work around problems in the future.

1. Windows back up of fully functional unit - per earlier post.

2. Use Home to copy back to your computer individual items - like the applications (do this for every application that you install and IS WORKING OK) Also, do this for your latest map, voices, pois, and anything else you can think of - especially anything you paid for and downloaded.

This way, if you ever have to do a format/and clean install, while you can copy and paste with the whole saved backup, you can delete/reinstall any of the individual items you have copied back to the compute through Home.

Question - are you being sent a 1gb SD card or 2gb. If 1, recommend copying it over to a 2 gb and put it away for safe keeping. If 2gb, copy it per the above as soon as you get it.

ok. Whatever I did, still hasn't worked!

1) rolled back to fw 6.525 with the saved maps, but all pois deleted. Map version 660.1219. Still crashes, although takes abut 15seconds before it does.

2) upgraded to 7.162 with the same map( 660.1219), still the same.
3) upgraded to 7.903, still the same.

So it seems the problem is with the corrupted map file. Updating it live didn;t work either, as it seems you need to have a base map in there before it picks up the updates for it. Without the base map, it only picks up the updates for the speed cameras and POIs.

The current SD card is a 500Mb card. Don't know what they are sending me. When I get it, I will either formate this one, and back up the new one here, if the space allows, or get a bigger card and do the same.

Atleast good news is that the new SD card is gonna have the fw 7.903 and the latest 710 map on it. Lets hope that would work!

You will want a 2 gb SD card in there in any case.

Back up the new one right away, then copy it over to the 2gb card. You will have plenty of room for other maps if needed, and other items (voices, poi's, etc) without having to worry about running out of room.

With your map subscription, I am surprised they are not starting you off again with latter (720, 725) maps, or even 810/815 - as they should work with 7.903.

If you wanted to experiment a little more - if you have the old (possibly corrupted) 660 map on your TT - if you log on to your account and update the device, will it want to download a whole new map then?

If so, it might delete the old one form the device and install a new un-corrupted one.

I am wondering if the 500 mb SD size is causing some of the problems when you are trying to update and/or reinstall, although it should give an error message about insufficient space.

When I connect and login with my subscription username, it just wnts to download updates for the map. once it does it, the map is still corrupted!

And if I delete the map completely, it then doesn't even dl a map!

I find it strange that they don't have a error logfile in tomtom device, so that everytime it reboots, keeps the log of fault!

I work with a microprocessor based system, and there we have made an errorloging file system, that if the unit freezes and reboots, it logs the error code. This way we can easily work out the problem.

But with tomtom, it is different!

Do these devices have any internal memory at all? Or is EVERYTHING stored on the SD card?

With the x10 series of models, all folders/files have to be either in internal or on a sd card.

Well, yes. But the x10 models use EITHER Internal memory OR external (sd card) whereas x20 and x30 models use internal memory AND external memory together.

So the fact that when I try to boot it up without a SD card, it tells me to put the card in, it measn that there is no internal memory for the x10 series?

I guess only a small ROM in there to access the bootup sequence and to sore the driver for the SD reader.

Now what I noticed is that with the SD card in the tomtom, it doesn't matter if the card is write protected or not, I can always create new files on there or delete existing files. But if I put the same card in a separate card reader, then if the write protect is on, it won't allow me to modify anything( the way it should be).

Is this normal for TT to ignore write protect/enable switch?

All I can suggest is: do a pin reset on the unit with the sd card in. Now, do a pin reset on the unit with NO sd card in the slot.

Does that 'clean' things up? If not, I guess you'll bneed to call support at 866-486-6866 for further assistance. sorry.

Ask a Question