Device not working, but works on computer

I received a TomTom One 3rd Edition for Christmas. It's been a godsend because we moved into a new city, blah blah blah.

In less than a week, I am leaving to go on vacation. I was going to rely heavily on TomTom to get me from Virginia Beach to Massachusetts. Go figure today, when I went to use it to find me a post office, something happens.

The last time I used the device (not connected to the computer) was a week or two ago. I connected it to the computer last night to get updates, etc. I unplugged it when it said I could unplug.

Today, when I went to use it, it gave me the normal start-up screen. Then it went to the "terms of service" screen, except there was no text between "Terms of Service" or whatever is at the top and "I agree". It lets me click "I agree" then goes onto "This device belongs to: my name". It does not let me click continue.

After about 30 seconds to a minute on the "this device belongs to" screen, it restarts and goes back to the startup screen.

I have it connected to the computer now and I can operate it in a completely normal fashion. I can access my favorites, recent destinations, etc. I'm making a back-up copy, but I really don't care if it's reset to the original settings if it means it will work for my upcoming trip.

Help!

I received a TomTom One 3rd Edition for Christmas. It's been a godsend because we moved into a new city, blah blah blah.

In less than a week, I am leaving to go on vacation. I was going to rely heavily on TomTom to get me from Virginia Beach to Massachusetts. Go figure today, when I went to use it to find me a post office, something happens.

The last time I used the device (not connected to the computer) was a week or two ago. I connected it to the computer last night to get updates, etc. I unplugged it when it said I could unplug.

Today, when I went to use it, it gave me the normal start-up screen. Then it went to the "terms of service" screen, except there was no text between "Terms of Service" or whatever is at the top and "I agree". It lets me click "I agree" then goes onto "This device belongs to: my name". It does not let me click continue.

After about 30 seconds to a minute on the "this device belongs to" screen, it restarts and goes back to the startup screen.

I have it connected to the computer now and I can operate it in a completely normal fashion. I can access my favorites, recent destinations, etc. I'm making a back-up copy, but I really don't care if it's reset to the original settings if it means it will work for my upcoming trip.

Help!

Try a reset with a paperclip in the proper hole on the bottom of your unit.

Ditto on the pin reset. You should probably see it activating the updates when it first starts up off the computer if it is successful. Also, be careful how and when you unplug it when you are in TT Home.

If this does not fix it, consider doing a restore from a backup. If you don't have one, that is not an option this time. Make sure you have them in the future - many (me included) have been burned by not making recent updates.

Good luck.

I've already tried the reset while it wasn't plugged in and started doing the startup thing.

Should I try while it's plugged into the computer?

ETA - Here are pictures of what it's doing. I have no clue if these help any. Also, when it first starts up, it says, TomTom and plays a drum sound.

When you press the power button
DSC_0143.jpg

Normal starup screen
DSC_0144.jpg

Legal Notice
DSC_0145.jpg

Device belongs to (obviously, I don't want anyone stalking me)

DSC_0146.jpg

Last edited:
I tried restore and it's still doing the same thing. :confused: What do I do now?

Since you have a backup, try this:

DELETE EVERYTHING from your unit using Explorer. Now, using explorer (not home) copy everything in the backup to your unit. Do a pin reset.

It's working! I ended up calling TT support when restore didn't work. She had me delete an application and then reinstall it. She also had me delete files from my documents in the TT folder.

Thank you for your help!

ETA - Any idea of what could have caused this? I haven't dropped or gotten it wet recently. As far as I remember, I know that I disconnected from the computer when it said I could.

Last edited:

Ask a Question