Customer Support Ruined my TomTom

I had an XL model, purchased a new map and tried to install it. After several error writing messages, Customer Serice told me to wipe my device clean. Now, nothing works. Supervisor (Andrew) said there's nothing they can do (except give me a 20% coupon off another device):(:(. Terrible customer service!!! they ruined my tomtom

Alas -- tech support. Let's see if we can get this running for you.

First, do you have any record of what those error messages were? It will help us decide the kind of trouble you were encountering to begin with so we don't repeat the experience.

Next, what model do you have? There are numerous "XL" models. Please advise of the first two characters of your unit's serial number so we know for certain about it's capabilities (mostly, the memory size).

Two questions to next:
First, have you ever made a proper backup of your unit, using either Home, or your PC's usual way of copying files to your PC?
Second, if you look in the following location, do you see a USA/Canada map folder that is the map you purchased?
My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\map

Since your unit was running before all of this started, odds are good there is nothing wrong with your hardware, so all we really need to put your unit back to rights is to be sure we can locate a valid map for it. They may well have been correct in asking you to wipe your device clean -- assuming you had access to a map folder - either the backup or the one you purchased. The firmware for your unit and all the rest will be supplied when Home discovers it's missing.

Please see ref #120627-003701. I've spent 3 full evenings on the phone with customer support, and Andrew (an apparent supervisor) told me there's nothing they can do. Can you lookup what they've told me to do, and is there someone who can be more helpful? Thank you.

Please be aware we are all just independent owners and users like yourself.
We are nothing to do with TomTom the company and cannot access any documents or report logs they may have.

We can probably help, but you need to start from scratch and tell us the details asked for.

Please see ref #120627-003701. I've spent 3 full evenings on the phone with customer support, and Andrew (an apparent supervisor) told me there's nothing they can do. Can you lookup what they've told me to do, and is there someone who can be more helpful? Thank you.
We aren't "TomTom" here, and all we can do is advise from our experience. As Andy notes, we have ZERO visibility to any communications you've had with TomTom in the past.

If you want to work with us, we're willing to work with you. That's why we all spend our time here as 'highly paid' ($0) volunteers. We've taken users with hopeless encounters with TomTom tech support and given their units new life before. Those exchanges don't always work out as they should, and what appears to be a dead end often is not.

As I said before, "Since your unit was running before all of this started, odds are good there is nothing wrong with your hardware, so all we really need to put your unit back to rights is to be sure we can locate a valid map for it."

Ask a Question