correcting address vs. location

TomTom Model(s)
One 130
It's me again... :D

My 130, or the map database, or something is wonky. It has my address about four miles away from the physical location! I decided to test it out coming back from a trip to the Wallyworld, and it told me that my address was 150 yards ahead, when I was still over four miles away from home!

Is there a way to go in and fix this? I can't find anything in the manual, nor will "map correction" allow me to move an address in the unit.

help!!

It's me again... :D

My 130, or the map database, or something is wonky. It has my address about four miles away from the physical location! I decided to test it out coming back from a trip to the Wallyworld, and it told me that my address was 150 yards ahead, when I was still over four miles away from home!

Is there a way to go in and fix this? I can't find anything in the manual, nor will "map correction" allow me to move an address in the unit.

help!!
Wouldn't want you to give out your address out here in public and all, but if you can give us a nearby address on the same street, we could have a look and try to sort out whether it's a coordinate issue with the GPS or just a map error.

Does the address at least put you on the correct street -- just down the road 4 miles? The TomTom is pretty fussy about adding things like S and N, even when we're sometimes not used to using them on some streets.

Wouldn't want you to give out your address out here in public and all, but if you can give us a nearby address on the same street, we could have a look and try to sort out whether it's a coordinate issue with the GPS or just a map error.

Does the address at least put you on the correct street -- just down the road 4 miles? The TomTom is pretty fussy about adding things like S and N, even when we're sometimes not used to using them on some streets.

Well, actually... There isn't an address nearby. My next nearest neighbor is just over six miles away in the other direction. I think it's a map error, since I did find a way (don't know how I did it) to go in and look at addresses, somehow. They all seemed to be way the heck off. Almost as if they were done by measuring distance along the road, instead of seeing where the houses actually are.

I wish I knew how to correct it. What I'd like to do is establish a "This is where my GPS is right now, and I want to make it a Favorite (waypoint/destination) for future navigating to and from." But I don't seem to be able to do it.

On your unit:

Preferences-->(page 2) Change Home Location-->then arrow right past the first screen of options to My location.

Make sure you have a satellite fix first.

Well, actually... There isn't an address nearby. My next nearest neighbor is just over six miles away in the other direction. I think it's a map error, since I did find a way (don't know how I did it) to go in and look at addresses, somehow. They all seemed to be way the heck off. Almost as if they were done by measuring distance along the road, instead of seeing where the houses actually are.

I wish I knew how to correct it. What I'd like to do is establish a "This is where my GPS is right now, and I want to make it a Favorite (waypoint/destination) for future navigating to and from." But I don't seem to be able to do it.
DHN has you fixed up for setting your own "home" location. Just sit in your driveway, wait until your unit sees a fair number of satellites, and tell it you're "there".

As for your original issue, you described what was probably exactly how the numbers were derived. Rural numbering isn't often very predictable, and often isn't mapped anywhere else to use as a reference. The "drive by" guys haven't and may never come down your road to post the exact addresses if you're relatively rural, either.

THAT SAID - HANG ON TO YOUR SOCKS, FOLKS...

This year, the folks at Census (it's that time again) are using some new technology. Before the census actually begins, they're sending out teams for address verification. They started with notebooks, but are now trying some sort of PDA solution. They are not only adding new roads to their lists, but doing address verification (i.e., yup, this number is where it should be).

I have no idea how this information will be used apart from the census itself, but if the resulting information IS shared with the mapping companies, as is often the case for government created map data, we COULD see an incredible update to U.S. address map quality one of these days that would also cover rural areas and finally clean these up!

Thats exactly how its done a lot of the time, esp. in an area like yours where there are miles between houses. All navigation devices use this method. Sometimes it works out very well, and sometimes it doesnt. My house is off too, not 4 miles but off enough to be annoying...

Like mentioned when you set your home location, park in your driveway and set home location via longitude and latitude. That will pin point it your home too that mark.

Last edited:
Thanks guys...

I am just going to have to try it.

Although, to be honest, I don't remember seeing any "Change Home Location" in the preferences. I'll just have to sit there and work with it.

I'll let you all know when I get home from work.

Thanks guys...

I am just going to have to try it.

Although, to be honest, I don't remember seeing any "Change Home Location" in the preferences. I'll just have to sit there and work with it.

I'll let you all know when I get home from work.

Tap the map > Change Preferences > Change Home Location. On my XL 330 its the 3rd Preference page.

Anyway click that (do this while you are in your driveway, or at the end of your driveway or something.) tap >(next page) > tap longitude latitude > it will then display your current longitude tap done > then your current latitude tap done. Now your home location will be set to that exact longitude and latitude which will be directly where you life....

I set favorites this way too. There are too many variables with addresses, longitude and latitude is always accurate though...

I set favorites this way too. There are too many variables with addresses, longitude and latitude is always accurate though...

Just don't try it with off-road (ie, unmapped parking lots, parks, etc.)favorites. It might look like your TT saved it as a routable destination, but it did not.

Just don't try it with off-road (ie, unmapped parking lots, parks, etc.)favorites. It might look like your TT saved it as a routable destination, but it did not.

I've never tried to use it in a parking lot deep enough for it too pull me of car symbol off the map. Good too know. OP. Use longitude and latitude from the end of your driveway so your GPS thinks you are on the street...

Well, I think it took. It will remain to be seen if it is right or not, as I'll have to go out somewhere to test it.

I just saw that bit about the end of the driveway thing, so I may have to reset it.

Thanks for the tips gang! You all rock!

:D

Well, I think it took. It will remain to be seen if it is right or not, as I'll have to go out somewhere to test it.

I just saw that bit about the end of the driveway thing, so I may have to reset it.

Thanks for the tips gang! You all rock!

:D

Stand out in the driveway and navigate too home. If it points you 4 miles down the street it didnt work. :)

Well, gang... I tried the abovementioned tips, and I believe they worked.

I really appreciate the assistance!

Have you thought about moving 4 miles down the road? its always a option.
My One xl does this too, my house is number 350, but apparently the road was recenly renumbered so Tomtom thinks I'm 242. I just make sure to tell everyone who is heading out to my house to use 242 as the numbers according to all gps's end at 300.

While it probably won't help much in a rural area, you can report the bad address number in mapshare.

Go to mapshare -> report other error -> existing street -> wrong or missing house numbers

It increases the odds of a mapping truck driving down your street from really-really-unlikely to really-unlikely.

At least you address shows up. LoL My house has been at that same address for better than 40 years and my TomTom says there is no such address. lol Matter of fact, No one on my block shows up in my address. LoL I really should call tomtom about that.

So thats what I had to do, set home as my current location once I was at the end of my driveway.

at your location can you press change preferences , right arrow, change home location, right arrow, and finally My location. This should push it to your exact home location.

Ask a Question