connection problems 910

I am having connection problems with my 910 when I attach it to the foot for the windscreen/shield and on its docking station for the charger. This suggests to me there is a bad connection somewhere in the 910 unit it self. Looked this up on your forum and there was one item about soldering the connecter with pix how to acces this. Unfortunately I can't see any screws on the back of the unit when I put it screen down. I can however get the rim round the screen off but I can not see any screws when I do this, does anyone know how to access:( the connecter in a 910.
I also find the connection quite wobly, I drive a lot of little country roads here in France, which, are not always that smooth and I was wondering if this could cause the problem?

On the base of the device are two rubber strips, pull each corner of the rubber strips back to reveal the four Torx head screws, once you remove the four screws the back will come off giving you full access to the insides - Mike

You will need a Torx bit number 6 for this job, start by removing the case, the four screws are located under the rubber pads on the devices base

The case "pod" simply removes leaving the device sat on the table

I remove the GPS Patch aerial for this as it makes the later stages a little easier, two torx number 6 screws and the daughter board will lift away from its multipole connector.

Four Torx number 6 screws secure the main board into position, remove these to release the PCB, disconnect the two plugs as shown in the picture below.

You can now move the PCB quite some distance, but it is still attached by the Mylar ribbon cables, DO NOT DISCONNECT THESE AS THEY ARE A REAL SWINE TO RE-CONNECT.
I only removed them to make it easier to photograph, and I know how to reassemble them - You have been warned

I wrote that quite a while back but it should give an idea of whats needed to get in the device - Mike

question about connection

Hi Mike,

I got the T6 screwdriver and opened up my 910. Could not see anything to suggest the the soldering was bad. Did see some staining allong the contact points, cleanen that up.
What I can't understand is that the 910 starts to swich it self off even on a full battery. I will have had it on the charger all night and then put it into the car and within a few minutes it will switch off. Surely if it looses power from the cigarette socket the battery will take over?
Do you know an explanation for this please?
Many thanks,
Daniel

Most probably its the battery that is on its way out, its not holding charge and could actually load the charger cicuit so much that the voltage dips below the point it will power off. To change the battery is quite a big job as the board has to come out, the screen removed then finally the 20GB Hard Drive to gain access to what must have been the first component fitted as these things were built - the battery is very well buried within the aluminium chassis.
Some early 910's let you take the battery out without reoving the screen and HDD (mine did) these were the first batch devices, later models had a HDD made by a different manufacturer and the battery can only be removed by taking the screen and HDD out to gain access - Mike

Connection Problem with 920

I have a connection problem with my 920. When the battery is fully depleted the device shuts down, even when it is connected to my car charger. If connected to my PC or to my home charger it stays on when the battery is depleted. I have tried two different car chargers in both of my cars but still experience the same problem. I have Portatrronics of NY City replacing the battery with one that holds a longer charge - the one that I had in my device was only holding about 75% of its capability. I'll post a message to let you know the outcome -was the old battery the cause, or does the problem still exist with the new one.

By the way, since my device was out of warranty TomTom Customer Support was of absolutely no help whatsoever.

TT One 3rd doing same

My TT One 3rd, after less than 18 mos of use, will not stay powered via battery for more than 3-4 minutes. TT Support says "oh well you need to replace the unit as it is out of warranty". Replacing the battery is not an option. I did replace the One, with a Garmin.

It is possible to replace the battery on a One Third edition, e-bay is your friend to locate a replacement battery and its not difficult to swap out - Far cheaper than purchasing a new nav unit which is what TomTom wanted you to do by the sounds of it - Mike

Ask a Question