Live & Traffic HD Connection Problems

Are you experiencing problemen connecting to THE server. Since teisterden 6/12 I always Error on TomTom Server on my TomTom XL Live?

Have you tried resetting your unit by holding the power button about 10 seconds till you hear the drum sounds?

Have you tried calling customer support for your country?

No issues here in the U.S., but that doesn't mean anything since I assume you're in Belgium.

What kind of error? The usual red screen one?

My 740 Live has been increasingly sloooowwww synching into traffic. Just called CS an of course was told to do a factory reset WITHOUT backing up unit.

When I tld her there was no chance of that happening she said the issue is with the OS and it should be reinstalled. I am backing up right now and will then try that as it is a fairly easy thing to do. Any other suggestions?

Good that you are making the backup, but ...

If memory serves, the OS reload would only help if you weren't getting any Live service at all. Typically, the problem you describe is at most handled by the reboot to drums trick. What I'm wondering is where you are, and whether your local 'cell' service conditions are degrading.

When you view the cell connection menu (Main Screen, R arrow, R arrow, Status & Information, Version Information, Network ), what are you seeing for signal strength where you are? How many of the 5 bars are showing blue, and are you waiting a long time between "Connecting" and "Connected"? We need to find out whether the problem is your unit, the TT server, or local connectivity issues. For now, I'd hold off on that OS reload business.

In New Jersey, but this happens everywhere I go around the U.S. For a while, it seemed to help if I checked weather when the wheel was spinning too long, but that does not seem to be helping much now.

soft reset does not help.

Please review my last paragraph and let us know what you see. If your unit is struggling with reception issues, it won't matter what else you do. We need to pin down the source of the problem before embarking on a major series of steps, and CS hasn't really helped you do that yet.

Just purchased 340 XL TM with lifetime maps and traffic. Can't seem to get any traffic info at all on unit which makes me unsure if the maps feature will work. Also looking for a description of what icons are on the screen.

First of all, the lifetime maps (M) MUST be activated to take effect. While in theory it can be done online, call CS at 866-486-6866 instead. The activation code is found in the package of materials in your packaging.

For lifetime traffic, the unit should have come with a combo rds-tmc traffic receiver/car charger. It has a grey plastic 'egg' thingy on it. Is that yours? If so, when you connect the charger IN THE CAR, does the unit show that a rds antenna has been connected?

The coverage area for the rds traffic can be found here:
http://totaltraffic.com/CoverageAreas/

Also looking for a description of what icons are on the screen.

Any particular icons? Most are in the manual somewhere.
But if you can describe what you're seeing, we can have a stab at it.

Cannot connect go630 to HD Traffic

Hello there,
I have been connecting a go630 (with Nokia N9 to HD TRAFFIC for 3 years now with no major problem, travelling FRANCE (setting N70 or N78 or N90 since N97 is not on the compatibility TOMTOM table).
It's a great service to avoir traffic jams especially on highway or large urban areas.

>>>> For the last 4 weeks, IT DOES NOT CONNECT ANYMORE. 7 requests to TT support did not solve anything since they say "your n97 is not compatible".
They do not answer when i object that N78 or N90 parameter DO NOT HELP AMYMORE either. I believe they do not recognize the true problem they have at this time with NOKIA NSERIES.

I have tried a fix with dowgrading NAVCORE to 8.302 (or so) : it connected once (vertical bar appeared on right side of the screen) i was very happy but THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE.
In french we say "le canard est toujours vivant" which translates "The duck is still alive..." don't be afraid i am not a duck shooter.

>>>> Has anyone experienced this HD TRAFFIC problem using a N70 or N78 or N90 type of mobile ?
Do anyone have a solution ? :confused:

Orsay86

My understanding is that the service you are connecting to is PLUS traffic (where you use your own mobile's dataplan). This service gives realtime traffic information, but is lower qualilty than the HD traffic you get on a newer device. HD traffic is not available on the GO630.

In the USA, Tomtom stopped selling PLUS renewals a couple years ago, and numerous forums were saying it was being phased out. Try calling support and telling them it's PLUS traffic (HD trafffic may confuse the phone reps). My guess is that they'll say they phased out the service, and then you should ask for a refund.

If you try HD traffic on a newer device it will be far better than the quality you receive from PLUS, there will be far more reports on far more roads. The only problem with HD traffic is that TT puts cheap 2G GPRS modems in HD Traffic devices, and various carriers are assigning 2G the lowest priority on their networks, so the speed and reliability of traffic data will be far inferior to the PLUS service,

@Orsay

Are you getting any of the OTHER Plus services like Weather, or is it just traffic that isn't coming across, or are ALL services unavailable to you now?

There are a number of ways that "tethered service" (that is what we call using the Bluetooth DUN profile to make a cell modem from your phone) can become broken, so you'd first need to see what specifically is broken. We've even seen carriers discontinue tethered service from their data plan without notice.

Hello from France,

Experiencing the same problem as cbenoy61: impossibility to connect to the TRAFFIC SERVER (i have a traffic Radar sbscription) through my nokia piece of ...:mad: N97 so called smart phone.

- tried 3.502, it works .However, i have to stauck back inolder versions ie no software update to dowload since i would change the Nav core to a newest one such as 9.400 or 9.401 which DO NOT HELP AT ALL MY SERVER CONNECTION PROBLEM.

Except with 8.302 (!) the wireless services connection attempt ends with the RED SCREEN "impossible to connect", try a list or manual ...

See you

Orsay86

Ask a Question