Live Traffic

TomTom Model(s)
carmanit
Hello

Why is it neccessary to purchace live traffic for Europe and South Africa when I wont be going poutside of the UK.

Will I get fixed and moblle speed cameras in cluded in the live traffic package

regards

Peter

The cost is the same to TomTom either way. Your unit is going to be connected to their server regardless of where you are within the service area, and only the traffic for your 'immediate' area will be received. It's not that you are paying extra for the additional geographic coverage.

From your info, I assume you have one of the Carminat Live units for Renault?

Moderator Andy will probably soon pop in with some ideas about cameras in the U.K.

Re: Speed cameras....

The LIVE package includes fixed and mobile camera sites for the UK.

HOWEVER, it has it's limitations...
Their data for permanent fixed sites used to be awful with many cameras missed. It has improved a lot over the last year or so, but still misses the odd one and falsely includes many motorway gantries that don't actually have cameras in them.

Their data for temporary fixed sites (such as the SPECS average speed cameras in roadworks) is still poor. New roadworks cameras are often not warned about, and you still get continuing warnings for cameras in places where the roadworks ended months previously and the cameras removed.

The way mobile camera sites are dealt with should be very clever.
Only sites where a camera van has actually been seen today should be announced. However, that seems to depend on sufficient reports from users and I think in my years of using the TT camera warnings, I have only ever had a handful of warnings and never once where I have seen a camera van working.

I far prefer the PGPSW database (and will confess right away that I help with it's maintenance and accuracy as one of their report "verifiers").

Fixed camera positions are almost 100% reliable and any new camera positions are normally added within a week.

Temporary SPECS cameras are also kept up to date far better, again changes are usually added or removed by the next data release date.

Mobile camera sites are handled differently from TomTom's method.... ALL reported sites are flagged and warnings given. This means you will be warned about many mobile sites where vans are known to work but where nothing is currently happening. To me, that's far preferable to not getting a warning simply because no-one else has reported it TODAY.
Old mobile sites are "culled" from the live database if there have been no reoprted sightings witin 6 months to 1 year, but are held in readiness to be restored as soon as a single new report is made.

The PGPSW system also allows you to run VOICE alerts that announce the speed limit in place as you approach a camera. TomTom's own system only announces with a chime or bleep, meaning you have to look down at the screen to check the speed limit if you are unsure of it.

You are able to run both the TomTom and PGPSW data side-by-side to compare the accuracy of the two systems.

Re: Speed cameras....

The LIVE package includes fixed and mobile camera sites for the UK.

HOWEVER, it has it's limitations...
Their data for permanent fixed sites used to be awful with many cameras missed. It has improved a lot over the last year or so, but still misses the odd one and falsely includes many motorway gantries that don't actually have cameras in them.

Their data for temporary fixed sites (such as the SPECS average speed cameras in roadworks) is still poor. New roadworks cameras are often not warned about, and you still get continuing warnings for cameras in places where the roadworks ended months previously and the cameras removed.

The way mobile camera sites are dealt with should be very clever.
Only sites where a camera van has actually been seen today should be announced. However, that seems to depend on sufficient reports from users and I think in my years of using the TT camera warnings, I have only ever had a handful of warnings and never once where I have seen a camera van working.

I far prefer the PGPSW database (and will confess right away that I help with it's maintenance and accuracy as one of their report "verifiers").

Fixed camera positions are almost 100% reliable and any new camera positions are normally added within a week.

Temporary SPECS cameras are also kept up to date far better, again changes are usually added or removed by the next data release date.

Mobile camera sites are handled differently from TomTom's method.... ALL reported sites are flagged and warnings given. This means you will be warned about many mobile sites where vans are known to work but where nothing is currently happening. To me, that's far preferable to not getting a warning simply because no-one else has reported it TODAY.
Old mobile sites are "culled" from the live database if there have been no reoprted sightings witin 6 months to 1 year, but are held in readiness to be restored as soon as a single new report is made.

The PGPSW system also allows you to run VOICE alerts that announce the speed limit in place as you approach a camera. TomTom's own system only announces with a chime or bleep, meaning you have to look down at the screen to check the speed limit if you are unsure of it.

You are able to run both the TomTom and PGPSW data side-by-side to compare the accuracy of the two systems.
Hello Andy

Thanks for your reply

I was a user of PGPSW for many years before i had a built in Tom Tom, about 4 years ago. I did ask if it was easy to change my SD card to your data but I was unsure about the answer so I never bothered. Is it easy to put you data on, I would be scared to damage my card .

Regards

Peter

It's very easy to put POI data onto the old Carminat units. All one need do is copy an *.ov2 file and its associated *.bmp icon to the UK&ROI or European map folder.

Hello

Thanks for your reply

Yes it may sound easy for you as you have probably performed the operation
many times. but as a pensioner I am a bit unsure it looks daunting.

Regards

Peter

Ask a Question