Is LIVE/HD Traffic being phased out in US?

Hello,

I currently use a GO 2535 LIVE which I love and has saved me many hours of time in traffic during my daily commutes over the last 2.5 or so years that I've owned it. Unfortunately, the device no longer detects when it is connected to a computer. I may have broken it somehow when I opened it up to change the battery. (The battery had gotten so bad, it couldn't hold a charge and it made connection to LIVE services very flakey. Immediately after replacing the battery, LIVE worked like normal.) It wasn't for a while after changing the battery that i tried to connect to a computer, so I'm not 100% certain that I broke it, but I have no other explanation.

In any case, I see that TomTom no longer sells the GO 2535 LIVE, doesn't have a newer LIVE device, and it seems like, even though the GO 1535 LIVE is still on the website, it is not really available anywhere.

I think HD Traffic is _fantastic_ and I'm pretty disappointed that I can't easily replace my device. Is TomTom phasing out HD traffic in the US? Are there any good alternatives on the market?

Thanks!

It's not a matter of Live being phased out, it's a matter of AT&T phasing out the 2G service upon which Live depends at present. I think you can expect to see TomTom come up with an alternative solution before we reach the point where 2G is 'turned off' a couple of years down the road, but that does leave the question open as to what one would buy in the interim. The GO1535 Live can be had fairly inexpensively, and like you, I REALLY like the HD traffic service. If you understand that AT&T will probably hold to its promise of turning off the lights on 1/1/2017, and that you won't be seeing Live functionality on any 2G device after that, the GO1535 is a good deal. My only concern is that AT&T may selectively start to pull down part of their 2G service in advance, making connection in some areas questionable.

So you can bet that Live will persist in some form, and will persist past the 1/1/2017 date as well, but new devices issued by TomTom won't be using 2G to make the connection. Frankly, I am astounded that TomTom chose to release the 2G version GO5000 and GO6000 in Europe as they will soon be facing the same situation. However, they do have the GO400, GO500 and GO600 that are already using alternative means for a connection... the individual's own smart phone. They're using a Bluetooth tethering method to connect back to NL for Live services. I guess they figure that if a person owns a phone with a data plan, this is one way of avoiding the problem of figuring out what connectivity is going to be needed as the carriers transition to new data technologies.

Wouldn't surprise me to see that kind of device offered in North America some day, either, but there's nothing like that here just yet. That said, the GO400/500/600/5000/6000 units that have been released in Europe are pretty thin on features. They'll get you from A to B, but I don't like the visual impact of the screens I've been seeing, nor would I know how to use one that didn't allow custom POI and several other features that don't seem to exist yet on the European models. Depends upon your use model whether it makes sense. For me, it doesn't .. yet.

I had a little of the same problem. I could not connect to my computer anymore. I searched the whole internet for a replacement 2535 M live unit but could not find one. I decided to repair mine which I sent into Manhattan. The repair took 3 weeks and the motherboard had to be replaced. Cost about $105 but couldn't be happier. I was told by tomtom support that a replacement would be out by the end of the year but I doubt it. If they were going to announce anything it would be in the CES at the beginning of January. For me I am glad that they are not releasing any 6000 series until the software is worked out better.

Great, thanks for the responses, canderson and doctormstein1.

The background that canderson provided explains a lot. Hopefully there will be a new TomTom with updated connectivity in the next couple months. It sounds like I should just see if I can hold out until then. My TomTom still works fine--HD Traffic and all--I just can't get any map or software updates, which aren't a huge deal to me if it's just for a few months longer.

doctormstein1--how did you find a place to repair your unit? I've been corresponding with TomTom tech support, but they've never offered a pay repair service. They basically said if it's out of warranty, there's nothing they can do. They gave me a 20% off coupon to buy something new off their website.

@CDogg
As regards your computer connection issue ...

We've seen issues where only the rear (primary) USB ports behave well enough to manage these devices.
Cables are always suspect.
Does your computer make any of the normal (either good or bad) USB connection/disconnection noises when you plug the unit in?
Have you tried a hard reset (hold power button for 20 seconds until you see logo and hear drums)?

The background that canderson provided explains a lot. Hopefully there will be a new TomTom with updated connectivity in the next couple months. It sounds like I should just see if I can hold out until then. My TomTom still works fine--HD Traffic and all--I just can't get any map or software updates, which aren't a huge deal to me if it's just for a few months longer.

doctormstein1--how did you find a place to repair your unit? I've been corresponding with TomTom tech support, but they've never offered a pay repair service. They basically said if it's out of warranty, there's nothing they can do. They gave me a 20% off coupon to buy something new off their website.

http://www.portatronics.com They worked for me on 38th street NYC

@canderson
I actually tried plugging it in to every USB port on my laptop, and I tried it on three other laptops. None of them indicate any USB connection (none of those chimes) and the device just indicates it is charging. I also ordered a new cable from TomTom and that didn't help. I've reset the device many times; I even reset to factory settings, even though I think that may do less than a 'hard' reset. I even tried recovery mode (hold power button for a long time until you get black screen with white text, then tap the power button three times), but that's pretty useless if you can't get a computer connection. Finally, my car has a USB connection to connect a music device or storage for music. In the past, when I connected this to try and charge my TomTom, it would charge, but it would also think it was trying to connect to a computer. I connected it recently and it only charges with no indication of trying to connect to a computer. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

@doctormstein1
Thanks for the info! They don't seem to have any 2535 motherboards in stock, but maybe I'll email them.

Any chance your unit has dropped from the dash with the cable attached a few times? I've seen the unit USB connector go south with a few of those events.

You can also look at the Tomtom for iOS and Tomtom for Android apps.

Both permit HD traffic to be purchased as an add-on, and since they use a modern smartphone connection, the HD Traffic signal is much quicker and much more reliable.

@canderson
I actually tried plugging it in to every USB port on my laptop, and I tried it on three other laptops. None of them indicate any USB connection (none of those chimes) and the device just indicates it is charging. I also ordered a new cable from TomTom and that didn't help. I've reset the device many times; I even reset to factory settings, even though I think that may do less than a 'hard' reset. I even tried recovery mode (hold power button for a long time until you get black screen with white text, then tap the power button three times), but that's pretty useless if you can't get a computer connection. Finally, my car has a USB connection to connect a music device or storage for music. In the past, when I connected this to try and charge my TomTom, it would charge, but it would also think it was trying to connect to a computer. I connected it recently and it only charges with no indication of trying to connect to a computer. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

@doctormstein1
Thanks for the info! They don't seem to have any 2535 motherboards in stock, but maybe I'll email them.
They told me that even though my unit worked like yours , the section of the motherboard with the connections was burnt out and theirfore the whole motherboard had to be replaced. Like yourself I was able to use the unit but was not able to connect to 3 different computers for updates It did not recognize the USB connection.They had to order a motherboard for me also , I guess that is why it took 3 weeks.

if you don't want android or ios, the go live 1535 is still available in lots of websites. bestbuy.com, staples.com, etc.

It has a lower quality screen and speaker than the 2535, but same software and traffic.

TomTom has brought TomTom Traffic to EVERY new device in the US with the re-launch of the GO series. The entry level devices have a 3-month free trial, but the S versions and the 500/600 capacitive screen devices include a lifetime subscription to TomTom Traffic.

You now use a free smartphone app that connects to your GO device to get a live traffic view on your device (for re-routing around traffic, etc). More info here: https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/mydrive/app/

So long as the user has a smart phone that cooperates with the provided application, yes, and provided the user is prepared to give up what they may consider essential features vs. previous generations.

Meanwhile, it wasn't all that long ago they were still selling the GO1535Live, fully understanding the consequences without explaining them. This product is still in the distribution chain as well http://www.bestbuy.com/site/tomtom-...ates/3166351.p?id=1218384138722&skuId=3166351

I was simply answering the question in the thread. The answer was No. It was not being phased out as a service.

To be fair, AT&T will be 'phasing out' Live functionality on all Nav2 and Nav3 units by shutting down its 2G service in the future (staged earlier in some areas, and a complete shut-down by January 2017), so at the moment, when purchasing a 'Live' TomTom unit, it's 'buyer beware'. One can either purchase a GO1535 Live with the understanding that its useful life for Live purposes is very definitely going to be limited to less than 3 years by availability to the requisite wireless services, or consider one of the newer Nav4 Live units with a significant decrease in available functionality, but with Live services supplied indefinitely (and freely apart from any carrier data costs) by the user's smart phone instead. Sadly, we have a 'lesser of the evils' situation at the moment where both situations are far from ideal.

TomTom has brought TomTom Traffic to EVERY new device in the US with the re-launch of the GO series. The entry level devices have a 3-month free trial, but the S versions and the 500/600 capacitive screen devices include a lifetime subscription to TomTom Traffic.

You now use a free smartphone app that connects to your GO device to get a live traffic view on your device (for re-routing around traffic, etc). More info here: https://www.tomtom.com/en_us/mydrive/app/

Hi ArmaBCG:
What you mean by "EVERY new device", what constitutes new?
THX

Ask a Question