Go Live 1535 Connection Problems

TomTom Model(s)
1535M
On the Connections screen I get an IMEI about 1/2 the time and nothing the other 1/2. Nothing ever shows up for the SIM card ID and it either shows me Not Connected or Connecting (indefinitely). Sometimes it shows GPRS 6 ATT 107. This is on a supposedly brand new unit obtained from Ebay. The unit has an SDCard slot, so I'm pretty sure it's a GoLive with SIM card. I've seen some somewhat similar posts already but haven't seen much as far as resolutions other than the drumroll reset, which didn't work, and someone that fixed a SIM card issue by physically taking the unit apart, which I'd prefer to avoid. Any suggestions?

It lost the SIM a few minutes later and is behaving strangely with the GPS connection too. It will show 55 - 65% and 4 satellite locks for 2 passes of the progress circle then lose them for a pass or so, then get them back.

Have you ever actually had a "Live" connection on that unit yet?
When the IMEI shows up, do you ever have MCC data showing up? Ever blue bars or a "Connected" indication? What's your status on all of that?

Let's start with the "supposedly brand new unit" part. If it's actually new, you'll be granted either a 90 day or 1 year free subscription to Live services. Whether you are successful in registering the unit will tell us a lot. You should be able to call tech support and get the Live connection started for that unit's serial number if it's legit.

Have you ever actually had a "Live" connection on that unit yet?
When the IMEI shows up, do you ever have MCC data showing up? Ever blue bars or a "Connected" indication? What's your status on all of that?

Let's start with the "supposedly brand new unit" part. If it's actually new, you'll be granted either a 90 day or 1 year free subscription to Live services. Whether you are successful in registering the unit will tell us a lot. You should be able to call tech support and get the Live connection started for that unit's serial number if it's legit.

First off, thank you for your response canderson. :)

I haven't called tech support yet. I just started hooking everything up yesterday and have been busy. To answer your questions:
  • No, we have never had a "Live" connection on that unit.
  • I have never had MCC data show up. I have consistently (though not 100%) seen IMEI, and occasionally the SIM ID.
  • At the end of last night I started seeing the 3 blue bars show up for the first time. However they never changed off of 3, and always showed "connecting" indefinitely (or at least for the 15-20 minutes I was willing to wait). It sometimes showed an IMEI during this time and sometimes not. I don't remember ever seeing the combination of IMEI, SIM ID, and blue bars.
  • How do you register the unit? I connected it to the computer, downloaded the MyDrive Connect software, tied the machine to my account, and was able to download some updates. I never saw anything one way or the other about registering for Live services. I was going to try and do that from the device itself, which is when I noticed that it couldn't even connect enough to let me enter my TomTom account info.

Good to hear that you were able to associate the device with an email address .. but you say "my account". I hope you are not using an email address from a prior TomTom. That's a real problem that Tech Support would have to straighten out for you.

I'd call the support number and ask them to enable Live service for you. As I say, you should get 90 or 365 days of free Live service on a new unit, but it often doesn't happen as automatically as it should. The number is 866-486-6866.

I actually created a new TomTom account (never had any accounts before). Sorry for the confusion. I believe I'm supposed to get 365 days free, but we'll see. Thanks for your help.

While you're speaking to Customer Support, see if they'll tell you if it has ever been registered before. Also your problem sounds like it maybe a hardware issue (possibly a low gain patch aerial) so I'd mention the connection symptoms you're seeing (you may need to speak to second level support for that bit!)

I called the rep yesterday afternoon. She opened a ticket and asked me to provide the receipt of the purchase. After I did that, I got an response from a different rep saying that she'd forward the request to their advanced technicians to enable my 1-year subscription, and let me know when that's done. When I asked her, the first rep said that it would likely be done the next day, but I haven't heard anything back yet. Hopefully that will happen soon. When it does, I'll see if that resolves the problem, but I get the feeling that it's probably hardware related considering what I'm seeing regarding IMEI and SIM card #s. (I think the GPS portion is OK and it just had to do with the exact location of the unit at the particular time that it kept dropping and coming back)

Does anyone have any idea how long this normally takes? Its going on 2 days to enable a subscription...

Ask a Question