Complete Disaster! GO720 possibly GOne..

With 4GB, try using windows explorer to moving everything from internal to the external SD drive (with the exception of the file internal.dat in the root).

Then power off/on the Tomtom and try to use it normally.

The go to Tomtom.com and log into your email account and check your purchase history. Make sure the map purchase shows up.

Then open Tomtom HOME, make 100% sure you're logged into the same email in HOME that showed the map purchase on the tomtom order history site, and in home go to "add maps".

Thanks for your post - unfortunately (typically?) the TomTom server is having probs (confirmed by TomTom CS) so there's nothing that can be done at the moment.... except bin TomTom and Go Garmin... that is for sure the way this farce is heading.

Such a pity ... all was well until TomTom, with total disregard for users, increased the Western Europe map size to an extent where it would no longer fit the 2GB IM of GO720.

What a pain.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Thanks to dhn for lots of advice, which unfortunately did not resolve the issue/s.

3 phone calls with TomTom Support started to resolve the issues by deleting all and starting over... but the outage of TomTom server caused final failure.

After many many hours spent rying to reinstall and upgrade I suddenly thought to replace the current new BackUp with a stored BackUp on the drive of my old PC.

I renamed the current/new BackUp as BackUpNEW, then copied the old BackUp into the same directory, this is in Users/MyDocuments/TomTom etc.

Now I have once again a working Go720 with latest Application, all cameras and updates, the Voice of dear Kate BUT with the old version all in one West Europe map.

AND that now brings me to another BIG COMPLAINT about TomTom..... (for which I'll start a New Thread after this rant).

I want to have the new version of my old West Europe, including the UK, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Austria. EVERYTHING THAT IS INCLUDED ON THE ORIGINAL WESTERN EUROPE.

BUT I am offered only ZONES because the new full map is 'too big for your device' !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ye gods, my selected device is a 4BG card which is recognised in my device and by TomTom Home .... why does TomTom make life so difficult!!!!!!!!! (oh, that's where we came in?)

Zones are a pain because Germany and Italy, both parts of w
Western Europe do not appear in one Zone with the UK!!!!!!!!!!!

Garmin looks pretty good from here :-(

Update:

From other threads I understand that:

1. ALL components should be on the sdHC card and not just the map.....in this way the Go 720 will not be confused between Internal Memory and Memory Card.

also that

2. the card should be sdHC 32GB Class 6 (minimum 6)

thanks.

Class 6 is a minimum, the higher this number the better.

32GB capacity is the maximum sized card you can use, you don't need such a large card unless you have plans to store thousands of music tracks and loads of maps on the card. As 32GB cards still cost a packet I would suggest you look at 8GB or even 16GB but with either capacity make sure you get at least Class 6 - Mike

This is a message recived from a retailer who has
CLASS 6 and Class 10 at same price.... he says:

TRANSCEND 8GB SDHC MEMORY CARD HIGH SPEED SD

"Hi, Thanks for your email. Tom Tom sat navs can only use up to Class 6 SDHC cards. You could put a Class 10 in but it would only operate at Class 6 speeds. Only the very latest SD 3.0 compatible devices can use the full speed of Class 10 cards. You would be better off using the Class 6 card as this will be more compatible than using a Class 10. Many people buy Class 10 cards thinking that they will operate at full speed but there are only a handful of devices that are SD 3.0 compatible. "

So, I think I will go for the Class 6...........................

Thanks dhn

- are you aware of, and/or do you agree with, the info 'TomTom can only handle Class 6 - nothing will be gained from using a Class 10 card' ?

Regards tbt

The phrase "feeding a pig with strawberries" springs to mind if you put a class 10 card in to a TomTom, that said I would probably purchase any new SDHC cards at the fastest speed then they can be used in digital camcorders/ cameras etc that can make use of the higher speed. I don't tend to confine a memory card to any single specific device - Mike

WITH THANKS TO dhn, canderson, mikealder and other helpers on my other threads.

Finally, I now have on my TomTom GO720 a full Western Europe map downloaded, installed and running, together with cameras, traffic and the voice of dear Kate!!

Components of success:
1. a fast sdHC card (ensure the HC bit) min 4GB. I installed an 8GB sdHC Class 6 card (low cost on eBay)..

2. ensure card is formatted Fat32 not NTFS. new sdHC cards are Fat32 so do not reformat on your PC as NTFS.

?. disable Windows Firewall (and any other) maybe this was causing the constant timeout while attempting to download. BE SURE TO TURN ON FIREWALL when finished.

Components of the earlier problems:
1. Internal memory only 2GB so could not take new larger map.
2. Use of sd card rather than sdHC (beware to double check your card or what you are buying). PC formatted NTFS not Fat32.
3. although I was able to install files onto an sd card this was not properly recognised by my Go 720. Format problem.

Amazing isn't it.. that after so much hassle and shouting by me the components of success are as simple as the components of the problem.

It's clear that not all TomTom tech info is fully up to date with type and size of memory cards. Nevertheless, TomTom support techies were always ready to try to help and these Forums provided the practical experience of owners/users who, when it comes to problem solving, have personally 'been there and done it?.

My thanks to all.

Glad to hear you got it sorted out in the end, quite a bit of confusion can be down to low speed cards which the device will reject in the same way it would reject a card with the wrong format and/ or file system files missing - Your not the first person to be told incorrectly by TomTom their devices don't support SDHC style cards! - Mike

quite so mikealder.

as a reminder.. these are the IMPORTANT BITS>>>>>>>

Components of success:
1. a fast sdHC card (ensure the HC bit) min 4GB.

2. ensure card is formatted Fat32 not NTFS. new sdHC cards are Fat32 so do not reformat on your PC as NTFS.

3. disable Windows Firewall (and any other). . BE SURE TO TURN ON FIREWALL when finished.

oh oh - TomTom is calling -- of to Napoli !!!

Last edited:
oh oh - TomTom is calling -- of to Napoli !!!
OMG. You actually plan to drive in Naples?:eek: We will pray for you... and for all of the suicidal scooter drivers you will be dodging.:p

I think I'd rather drive in any other city in the EU or North America than Naples. Makes New York City, Boston and Rome look like a day at the park. You've pretty well got to get to the Middle East to have that much "fun" anywhere else!

Then my 16 years in Pakistan, Saudi and the Gulf should have prepared me.. at least for a calm passing.

Well, I survived the driving... didn't venture into Naples... just airport to Sorrento etc... I'm not complaining about UK roads and traffic for the rest of this year!! those narrow winding roads between autostrada..Sorrento..Positano..Amalfi..phew!!

Go720 worked fine EXCEPT no voice... I had opted to keep KATE the computer voice, some 47MB..but she would not talk to me.. I now see that Kate is listed as 'unavailabe' .. so who is she with these days? she would not even 'test' for me.

I have downloaded installed 3 other voices that 'test' OK but I note that they are only 0.7MB each...

What's the storyt with Kate at 47MB and these other voices at only 0.7MB? does 0.7MB cover all that I need on the latest full Europe map?

Thanks in anticipation.

Have you got a LoquendoTTS folder on the memory card as well as the internal Flash memory? if so where have you put Kate?
The LoquendoTTS folder is one of the few folders that cannot split between internal and external memory unlike mp3 etc keep the Text To Speech voices in a single LoquendoTTS folder in the same meory location as the Navcore is stored - Mike

Well, I survived the driving... didn't venture into Naples... just airport to Sorrento etc... I'm not complaining about UK roads and traffic for the rest of this year!! those narrow winding roads between autostrada..Sorrento..Positano..Amalfi..phew!!
Aw geez .. you drove the Amalfi Coast road?!? I'm sure it was beautiful. My wife, daughter and her friend all said it was. I just remember seeing a lot of rock walls, side mirror near misses, and .. oh yeah, and the roads being blocked so they could get the tour buses around the curves. We did the whole run from Salerno because somebody (ahem) said there were supposed to be some great shoe makers in Positano.

You da man.

Go720 worked fine EXCEPT no voice... I had opted to keep KATE the computer voice, some 47MB..but she would not talk to me.. I now see that Kate is listed as 'unavailabe' .. so who is she with these days? she would not even 'test' for me.

I have downloaded installed 3 other voices that 'test' OK but I note that they are only 0.7MB each...

What's the storyt with Kate at 47MB and these other voices at only 0.7MB? does 0.7MB cover all that I need on the latest full Europe map?
The smaller voices of less than a megabyte aren't "computer" voices -- which is to say, they can't take text information and pronounce them. They're OK for "turn left" and basic instructions of that sort, but won't pronounce street names. The larger files like Kate are designed for full text to speech.

Mike's question about whether you'd moved Kate to the SD card is important. The only way that ever works is when you put the whole works on SD, including the TomTom's operating system and firmware.

mirror mirror on the wall - which car did you come from?.. yes, that is the Amalfi coast road.. BUT at least Avis got their car back with no more dents than when I collected it... 17 I think,, never had such a scruffy rental car..

Kate was on the sdHC card but failed to work.. got message 'not available' even tho she showed. I must check the loquendo thingy and get back to y'all.

any furrther info/advice re where to stick Kate will be appreciated.

Thanks TbT

Kate was on the sdHC card but failed to work.. got message 'not available' even tho she showed. I must check the loquendo thingy and get back to y'all.

any furrther info/advice re where to stick Kate will be appreciated.

If Kate is on the SDHC, then all app files have to be on the SDHC.

The internal has to be basically empty, nothing but map folders and mp3. Anything else and the app becomes so confused that Kate breaks.

Also, did you download Kate v6.9? Version 7.0 won't work on a 720.

Ask a Question