Complete Disaster! GO720 possibly GOne..

TomTom Model(s)
GO 720
I fear that my GO 720 is totally messed up.
With the ever increasing file size of the Western Europe map I recently had to unload the full map and download/install a zone map. This included Italy but excluded Germany :-(.
I used the TomTom OK in France in September but now I need to have again the full West Europe map.
So, to over come this messing about with Zones I installed a 4GB sd card. As the process to unload Zone from Internal Memory and reload full West Europe map to SD card was not so clear I asked TomTom for clear instructions.
The first set that I was sent did not achieve the desired result.
The second set that I was sent deleted my Zone map but failed to download/install the Full Europe map.
Now I have no maps at all and I feel that the files on my GO720 are all messed.
What to do? How can I completely wipe my TomTom and start again?

Do you have a backup of your unit prior to the new map update?

If you have, put the original full Western_Europe map on the sdhc card and select the card when you first connect to Home. It should offer the full Europe map.

Also, in Home, select Manage my Device, items on Device. Does it show a map? And when you select 'computer', does it list a map there?

If you downloaded maps from Tomtom, you'll find them here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

See anything there?

Report back.

Thanks dhn for your very quick response.
Unfortunately during following the 2 sets of 'how to install sd card' procedures I ended up with no map on device or in backup.
I have now copied into current backup some backup files from earlier back ups (on previous PC, therefore not deleted by my recent attempts).

I now have on 'device internal memory' Western Europe maps, speed cameras, and the one voice that I prefer 'kate'.
I can Navigate both in Italy and Germany so this map is not one of the new Zone maps.

Previously, at a map update, I got the message 'map too large' uninstall something.. at that time I had no SD card so I had to accept to installl only a Zone map.

Now what I need to do is get the larger full Western Europe map onto the SD card AND reinstall the Live Traffic that I have subscribed to. (although, the subscription is Cameras and traffice .. so, if I have cameras installed OK does that mean that Traffic is automatically available once the device is installed in car with aerial?)

Thanks again for your help.

Did you find the new map in the download location I listed?

When you go to Manage my Unit, Computer, Maps. What do you see?

In the backup files on my PC there was no map, neither was there a map on the device.

After copying from previous backups (that I still had on my old PC) I was able to get something running.

Now I have a full West Europe map on the device, I have done all updates that will run and I have run Backup.

PLUS copied from device to computer to ensure that files on both are identical.

I have copied a West Europe map from backup on PC to SD card but the card is not recognised when it is in the device...?

the card inserted is definitely sdHC .. (sdHc was too short for the post)

I have reformatted the sdHC card (in my PC) and put it back in TomTom.

Via HOME I am able to 'change device' to Memory Card

When I 'update' and select only 'map' .. then click 'download' I am always getting the message 'not enough space' .. and it shows that it wants to add the map to Internal Memory not Memory Card although the device is set to 'memory card' .

????

Last edited:
Did you copy the original complete map to the sdhc card first? (and then remove it from internal). You should be doing that.

No, I did not but I will do that now...........

Do I leave my chosen VOICE kate on the Internal memeory with all the Camera files?

Yes.......Just move the map folder to the card. Then delete from Internal. The idea is that with the map on a 4 gig card, Home 'should' think you have enough room on the storage location for the full European map without having to resort to zoned maps.

Thanks - now it seems that I have the full Westeren Europe map on the sdHC card and all other 'bits' on the Internal Memory. Just checked and all seems working OK.

When I connect TomTom to the PC Home starts OK. Then I can select Internal or Memory Card.

I suppose that to update Map and Cameras I have to run two separate Updates for Internal and Memory Card?

Used space on the Internal memory is 99MB - there is plenty of space for all that info on the Memory Card, can all files be xferred to the sdHC card?

If my TomTom is running map from the sdHC card will it also pick up and run the cameras info?

How can I tell if the map I have installed is the latest version of the Western Europe map?

The version installed is 1636MB Ver 720.1803 (which should fit on Internal Memory, which makes me think it's not the latest version)

In fact, I have just checked and I do not have latest map installed .. this is latest version: Western & Central Europe 2GB v8.55

and that 2GB is why I origin ally was told I had to free up space on Internal Memory or use a Zone map.

So - what to do?

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi.... you caught me in 'edit' mode.... no, all I get offered is Phone Connection settings that I do not want.

How can I get this thing to search for proper updates?

If my TomTom is running map from the sdHC card will it also pick up and run the cameras info?

Last edited:
If you go here:
c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\

and rename the folder to Downloadsold, you should be offered all items you are entitled to; hopefully, that includes the full 855 map if you've selected the sd card when you connect to Home and if the full (older) Western_Europe map is on the sdhc card.

did that, still only offered 'phone connection settings'.

I checked the Home directory .. there is a new directory 'Download' created. the renamed Downloadsold directory remains.

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads

There was actually no Downloads - only Download in Home.

I purchase these in April 2010:
1 1SDA.054.02 Map Update Service - Western Europe GBP 30.08 GBP 35.80
1 1SDA.002.04CQ Upgrade to the Latest Map (original map discounted by ? 50%) GBP 30.08 GBP 35.80

Is it possible to chat this through with you on the phone? while I am at my PC/TomTom .....

??????????????????

Last edited:
HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON..................

BUT IT'S now *pm here - I'll check for another 2 hours then catch up tomorrow.

It looks like Home isn't seeing the correct map on your device, have you got a map installed on the device and the SDHC card?

Where in the UK are you located? - Mike

Hello Mike.

I have now just one map, the 'old' western Europe installed on the sdHC card, cameras are on Memory card alos, apart from that nothing else on that card.

There is No map on Internal Memory, only application, GPS fix, voice and olther bits.

The unit now appers to be working OK, I did a drive around.. it's just not recognising that it needs a map update when I connect via Home.

When I log-in while Home is running I am asked if I want to buy new updates which would install the latest/correct maps - bt I've already paid so don't want to pay again.

I'm in Kent. I see u r in Blackpool... keep warm.

p.s. are Super Moderators funded by TomTom, or just Helpful Guys?

Last edited:
Thanks for being helpful but I need more than just kind words.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> had hoped you might have been able to suggest a solution to this non-update problem>>

The unit now appers to be working OK, I did a drive around.. it's just not recognising that it needs a map update when I connect via Home.

BUT HOME IS STILL NOT RECOGNISING THE OLD MAP ON MEM CARD... IT MUST/SHOULD UPDATE>

When I log-in while Home is running it does recognise that my map is very old and I am asked if I want to buy new updates which would install the latest/correct maps - but I've already paid back in April so don't want to pay again.

Ask a Question