Choosing start of Itinerary plot.

Unit: TT ONE, 3rd Edition.

I?ve activated Itinerary routing, and when I do not have any satellite reception, I?m able to load an itinerary and plot it, and TT will prompt me for a starting point. This is very handy if I?m just sitting around and I want to plot a particular trip from one point to another, independent of my current location.

However, if I have satellite reception, TT automatically assumes that I want to start from my current location, and that?s not always true for planning purposes. Although I can discern what I need to know, it?s just much cleaner if the plotted route didn?t include a path from my current location to the first waypoint, and then to the ultimate destination.

So the question is this?.. Can I temporarily disable satellite reception from my TT so that I can plot routes as described above, or am I missing something such that I could plot them like that anyway?

I think you'll have to go to a part of your house where you lose satellite lock- the basement, for example. I've even heard of a guy wrapping his unit in tin foil to block the satellite - no word as to whether that actually works.

However, if I have satellite reception, TT automatically assumes that I want to start from my current location, and that’s not always true for planning purposes.

Is it that you want to plan and save an itinerary in the comfort of your home and then use it later?

If so, have you considered using a third party application rather than the Tomtom itself? I find that I prefer to do my itinerary planning on a PC with full screen rather than on Tomtom. I'm going to Europe in the summer and I've planned all my intineraries using Tyre:

http://www.tyre.tk/

Its a free program that hooks into Google maps to create itineraries or POI files. It's very easy to use. It's free (oh yeah I said that). You can create the itineraries in tyre and load them to the TomTom directly from the program. You can also run the route in Tyre and have it follow the route (that gets kind of boring if it's a long route :) ).

For an excellent tutorial on using Tyre check out birdman's site here:

http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/Google_itinerary.html

Last edited:
Unit: TT ONE, 3rd Edition.

I?ve activated Itinerary routing, and when I do not have any satellite reception, I?m able to load an itinerary and plot it, and TT will prompt me for a starting point. This is very handy if I?m just sitting around and I want to plot a particular trip from one point to another, independent of my current location.

However, if I have satellite reception, TT automatically assumes that I want to start from my current location, and that?s not always true for planning purposes. Although I can discern what I need to know, it?s just much cleaner if the plotted route didn?t include a path from my current location to the first waypoint, and then to the ultimate destination.

So the question is this?.. Can I temporarily disable satellite reception from my TT so that I can plot routes as described above, or am I missing something such that I could plot them like that anyway?
You can use route planning, I think it's called, the icon has an A->B. It allows you to plan a route from two points independent of your current GPS location

Is it that you want to plan and save an itinerary in the comfort of your home and then use it later?

If so, have you considered using a third party application rather than the Tomtom itself? I find that I prefer to do my itinerary planning on a PC with full screen rather than on Tomtom. I'm going to Europe in the summer and I've planned all my intineraries using Tyre:

Its a free program that hooks into Google maps to create itineraries or POI files. It's very easy to use. It's free (oh yeah I said that). You can create the itineraries in tyre and load them to the TomTom directly from the program. You can also run the route in Tyre and have it follow the route (that gets kind of boring if it's a long route :) ).

No, that's not the problem. Although I do the same thing with Delorme, there are times when I'd just like to create an itinerary (e.g., START point X; END point Y), and then be able to load it ,and view it from anywhere, and not just from point X. If I'm somewhere other than the Start, and try to view it, TT will plot a route from where I happen to be, and then to the first point of the itinerary, and then the route.

You can use route planning, I think it's called, the icon has an A->B. It allows you to plan a route from two points independent of your current GPS location

The feature to which you refer is called "Prepare Route", and that won't accomplish what I want. 1st, it can't accomodate more than one waypoint, and 2nd, pre-saved itineraries can't be loaded into it.:confused:

No, that's not the problem. Although I do the same thing with Delorme, there are times when I'd just like to create an itinerary (e.g., START point X; END point Y), and then be able to load it ,and view it from anywhere, and not just from point X. If I'm somewhere other than the Start, and try to view it, TT will plot a route from where I happen to be, and then to the first point of the itinerary, and then the route.

I don't think there is a way to prevent this from happening if you have a valid GPS signal from the satellite.

How about applying appropriately placed TIN FOIL over the unit - I don't know where the antenna is located.

Yeah, I'm going to give that a try tonight. Thanks. What a bummer that the feature is right there, but there's no way to access it on demand.:(

Ask a Question