TT one (3) freezes after choosing voice

It boots up and goes through the language choosing screen, then asks me to choose the voice, and whether I choose two voices, one voice, or hit cancel, it freezes. Whatever the next step is after you choose the voice character is causing it to freeze. When it freezes, it stays frozen for maybe 3 or 4 minutes, then reboots, and starts asking me to choose a language again.

Is it dead?

Dawid

It was given to me with a car I just bought, and I turned it on and started getting this issue. I also do not have much experience with TTs, but I'm a smart guy and am not afraid of tough fixes. ;)

Try a reset on the unit (That may involve holding the power button for about 15 seconds on your model). See if that helps.

Also, does your model have a sd slot for a card on the bottom?

Try a reset on the unit (That may involve holding the power button for about 15 seconds on your model). See if that helps.

Also, does your model have a sd slot for a card on the bottom?

I reset by holding the power button, and by holding the power button and holding the reset button at the same time. Nope, no sd slot.

Well, you could try an Explorer, not Home backup of the unit. Ensure hidden files, folders are showing.

Then format (not quickformat) the unit and finally use Explorer to restore the backup.

See if that helps at all.

Well, you could try an Explorer, not Home backup of the unit. Ensure hidden files, folders are showing.

Then format (not quickformat) the unit and finally use Explorer to restore the backup.

See if that helps at all.

Do you have any software recommendations? I'm on a Mac, btw, but I can run Win 7 on it if I need to. I have been meaning to run bootcamp anyway.

Edit- or should I just do everything manually?

Don't use Windows 7 with the TomTom as it is known to cause problems when installed on a PC let alone trying to boot a Mac using it!

If you can get access to a PC running Vista or XP or just use your Mac to connect the device to, don't launch TT Home and if this application starts shut the Home software down, use Windows Explorer or the Mac equivilent to view the contents of the drive letter associated with your TomTom, you need to find your map folder which will be named North_America or Western_Europe or even UK&ROI open this and find the file "MapSettings.cfg" delete this file (don't worry the device will create a new one when it next boots up).

Eject the USB device from the computer and let it start up, see what happens when ou select your start up options - Mike

Just a thought - did you download the voices manually, or via HOME? Your model doesn't support computer voices and if you attempt to manually install and run computer voices they often crash.

Try deleting the voices, vocalizer, and loquendotts folders if present on your Tomtom
Then rename the mydocuments\tomtom\home\download\complete\voices folder to "voicesold"
Then close/open HOME and download your voices again

I have exactly the same problem.
Dawid, did you solve this issue If yes can you say which method was correct?
Or somebody else know the best way to fix this?

Thanks

- Ok, I fixed it with mikealder method. THANKS

Last edited:
Yay!! This worked!!! :)

Don't use Windows 7 with the TomTom as it is known to cause problems when installed on a PC let alone trying to boot a Mac using it!

If you can get access to a PC running Vista or XP or just use your Mac to connect the device to, don't launch TT Home and if this application starts shut the Home software down, use Windows Explorer or the Mac equivilent to view the contents of the drive letter associated with your TomTom, you need to find your map folder which will be named North_America or Western_Europe or even UK&ROI open this and find the file "MapSettings.cfg" delete this file (don't worry the device will create a new one when it next boots up).

Eject the USB device from the computer and let it start up, see what happens when ou select your start up options - Mike

Ask a Question