Change Map - Step By Step -

Buongiorno everybody!!!

I'm going to explain my tomtom situation and even the troubles due to it.

I've got a tomtom One 3rd (the one without SD card slot, with 1 GB internal memory).

I' ve the West European + Italy Map on it. I bought it with this map installed.
For the first time I need to change map, because in the next July i will come to the USA, California.

I've already the USA & Canada map, version 7.15.

The problem is:
- How can I change my map, replacing my actual map ( WEST EUROPE ) with the USA one?

This question suggested me 2 more little questions:
- How can I backup my actual maps so that i don't lose my original one (i mean the maps that I had when i bought the TT) maps?
- How can I, at the end, come back to the WEST EUROPE AND ITALY map, after my travel in the USA?

THAT'S ALL.
thank you for your kindess.
I give thank you also for your forum. In my country there isn't a forum like this, so I use yours. Great community.
Ciao!!:p

Buongiorno everybody!!!

I'm going to explain my tomtom situation and even the troubles due to it.

I've got a tomtom One 3rd (the one without SD card slot, with 1 GB internal memory).

I' ve the West European + Italy Map on it. I bought it with this map installed.
For the first time I need to change map, because in the next July i will come to the USA, California.

I've already the USA & Canada map, version 7.15.

The problem is:
- How can I change my map, replacing my actual map ( WEST EUROPE ) with the USA one?

This question suggested me 2 more little questions:
- How can I backup my actual maps so that i don't lose my original one (i mean the maps that I had when i bought the TT) maps?
- How can I, at the end, come back to the WEST EUROPE AND ITALY map, after my travel in the USA?

THAT'S ALL.
thank you for your kindess.
I give thank you also for your forum. In my country there isn't a forum like this, so I use yours. Great community.
Ciao!!:p

You would copy the WE & Italy map to the hard drive. Then, remove that map folder from your unit. Then copy the USA & Canada map to the unit (all of this using Explorer, not TTHome). You might need a pin reset to have the unit 'see' the USA map. After your trip to North America, reverse the steps: copy the USA map to the computer. Delete the USA map folder from the unit. Copy back the WE & Italy map to the unit.

You may want to try the above process before you leave for your trip ... just to make sure the process works. I have known to be wrong before. :eek: :eek:

well..first of all, thank you...:) tonight i will try to do this process...but, another one question...what is the pin that you named in your post? it's like a serial number? the official map is that one with the europe territory. I bought the tom tom with that map already charged. If i move the europe map in the pc and then, after my trip in the USA, i want to use again that map i need the pin also for it (even if it is the original one)??? because i have not the pin for the europe map...or maybe i remember wrong and i have to search better the european pin in the tomtom book....

well..first of all, thank you...:) tonight i will try to do this process...but, another one question...what is the pin that you named in your post? it's like a serial number? the official map is that one with the europe territory. I bought the tom tom with that map already charged. If i move the europe map in the pc and then, after my trip in the USA, i want to use again that map i need the pin also for it (even if it is the original one)??? because i have not the pin for the europe map...or maybe i remember wrong and i have to search better the european pin in the tomtom book....

Sorry to confuse you.......

The 'pin' I referred to was a paperclip or pin used to stick in the reset hole on the bottom of the unit (make sure you insert the paperclip, or pin, in the correct opening). The 'pin' did not refer to a number.

That may make your life easier :)

help with putting USA_and_Canada Map on a TomTom ONE 30 series

i have a Tomtom ONE 30 series (with no SD slot) which comes with the UK and Ireland Maps. I am going to the states next month and i have the USA_and_Canda maps. I have replaced the UK and Ireland folder on my unit with the USA_and_Canada folder as advised by dhn. The problem i have now is that when i switch the unit on, i am asked for an Activation code. I dont have the product code . pls help , what can i do ?

There is if I want to remember all that was asked in the post, gator! Short term memory :(

Anyway, to ladotski:

In the US map you bought and downloaded, in the compressed file, (probably found here:
C:\Documents and Settings\(yourname)\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\map
if you look at the contents using winrar, you should see another cab file in the larger US_CAN cab file.

The inner cab file is labelled 'activation_mapxxx.cab' and the contents consist of 1 file with an extension of .dct.

Extract this .dct file directly into the US_CAN map folder on your unit.

i did not buy it mysellf and my friend does not use the computer he downloaded the purchase to. any else i can do ?
if i was to buy a new map, do you think it would definitely work on my tomtom ONE

Do I get the feeling your friend did not obtain the map legitimately? Meaning, from TomTom Home?

Be that as it may, if you purchase a map using Home and install it on your computer (after backing up your unit's content using Explorer and then removing the Western Europe map folder from the unit to free up room) then yes, the map should work on your unit.

thanks for your prompt replies which are highly appreciated. I have just been on the tomtom website and also spoken to customer services. I am going to buy my map. customer service sent me an email showing how to use HOME to backup contents of my unit before adding the new map. You advise is to use explorer to delete Uk_and_ireland folder and replace that with the USA folder. Are these the only files that need deleting/ adding ?. The voice would still be the 'english accent' i am used to right ?.do you know anything about the neverlost sat nav that come with the USA rental cars, i heard it is very different from tomtom

rgds

DON'T use Home to do backups/ restores!!!

Always use Explorer.

And make the Explorer backup of the complete contents and then move the existing map folder onto the computer to another folder, just for safe keeping.

Then do the purchase and install of the new map using Home.

And then make ANOTHER Explorer backup of the unit's contents (including the new map folder) to a different folder on the computer

Finally, disconnect the unit PROPERLY from the computer when your job is done.

hello,
one more question...
if i now want to revert back to the UK map, i need to delete everything ( which are all in backup 2,right ?) from my device and move bckup 1 back into the device, correct

regards

With everything on one card, yep, you can use Explorer to back up everything from the card (which will include one map folder) , ensure the backup took place properly, delete everything from the card and use Explorer to copy back everything from the prior backup which included the other map folder.

Hi. I am new at this forum. I have a Tom tom go 720 with the american map. After I bought the brazilian map. Today I did the corrections of these maps and now i can't use more the brazilian map. When i try to use the brazilian map it tells me that it;s impossible use this map. Somebody can help me? Thank you very much.

Did you buy the Brazilian map from TomTom and install it on your unit?

What is the application version on your tomtom? (tap the satellite bars on the unit and the next screen shows the version number).

When you bought the BR map, where did you try to install it? The internal memory or do you have a sdhc card?

Hi. I bought the brazilian map from one guy from internet. This guy sent me the map in a sd card. I was using normally, but after update the problems began.
The version is 8.351.
Thank you.

See...there's the problem, the map you bought may have been a hacked version of a legitimate map. If that is the case, I'm not surprised you are having issues.

Ok. Thank you for informations. Now I am going to buy a new brazilian map from Tom Tom. Thank you.

Ask a Question