Car Kit Hardwire Question

After reading threw the entire forums section (I can't edit my post) I noticed people are having troubles with the iphone not charging while the app is in use.....

Would a high V / Amp cord be a better solution?

5V/1A is pretty much safe for the car kit. As I've mentioned in another thread, the kit itself is throttling the current to the phone down to 500mA, and so your max draw will be about 750mA (1A is a safer limit).

The real problem is that with a GPS app running, depending on screen brightness and so on, you are drawing between 400-600mA, which means you slowly charge or drain the phone depending on how many radios are turned on, and how bright the screen display is.

Yeah maybe I'll wait to see how the iPhone 4 holds up.....

I plan on getting one since my two year is up and maybe it would be a safer bet or the problem would be fixed...

It's an issue with the car kit, not the phone. It's setup to only provide 500mA like any USB connection will.

There would have to be an updated kit or at least updated firmware for the kit to get it to provide more than 500mA over the dock connector.

Ask a Question