Can't Load US or WE back on to device

Hi, I am going through a TOM TOM nightmare here. I purchased the full WE map on the web site and some confusion was able to finally get it downloaded. To install it, first it wanted to remove the US map. No problem that worked fine but then the WE map failed on the load. Now it says I need to remove aprox 64MB to even put the US map back and there is not 64MB worth of files to remove!

I have upgraded my TOM TOM home to ver 2 which seems to be ok. I can see both maps in HOME.
US = 859MB
WE = 861.5MB

TOM TOM content says:
total space = 978.1MB
Free space = 794.4MB
presumed loaded content 987.1 - 794.4 = 180.7
List of Loaded content adds up to 29.4MB

What should I do? :confused:

I tried the open drive>properties>tools>Automatically fix file-system errors

and

I do see J:\Western_Europe_1GB
with a file cline.dat 148.5MB

Can I delete this dir and try to reload US?

and

Are you trying to do this with a tom tom One ??

Do you have enough memory to do This ??

and do you have backup before you started all this ?

Are you trying to do this with a tom tom One ??

Do you have enough memory to do This ??

and do you have backup before you started all this ?

Yes, it's a TOM TOM ONE XL.The whole point is there should be enough memory as the US map was the oringial map on the device. I screwed up on the backup, I thought it was making a back up when it was installing the new WE map but it was only backing up the US map to the PC.

I have copied the whole J:\Western_Europe_1GB to my PC and deleted it on the device. As this map was never installed correctly I can't see why it should be needed. I am now trying to re-install the original US map. I'm at approx 65%.

and

Yes, it's a TOM TOM ONE XL.The whole point is there should be enough memory as the US map was the oringial map on the device. I screwed up on the backup, I thought it was making a back up when it was installing the new WE map but it was only backing up the US map to the PC.

I have copied the whole J:\Western_Europe_1GB to my PC and deleted it on the device. As this map was never installed correctly I can't see why it should be needed. I am now trying to re-install the original US map. I'm at approx 65%.

I am not 100% correct but I didn't think the europe map was designed for One or one XL I was with the understanding that the Europe map only came with the Go series and I am not sure if it even came on the 720 but I could be totaly wrong on this as I have the go 920 and don't know a lot about the one XL.

But you should do fine with the NA mape upgrade for the one XL, it should just overright the old one in your unit.

I am not 100% correct but I didn't think the europe map was designed for One or one XL I was with the understanding that the Europe map only came with the Go series and I am not sure if it even came on the 720 but I could be totaly wrong on this as I have the go 920 and don't know a lot about the one XL.

But you should do fine with the NA mape upgrade for the one XL, it should just overright the old one in your unit.

The re-install of the original US map just failed too, basically the same way. It all looks fine as it's loading but then it gets near the end and fails. Now I have a J:\USA_and_Canada with a cline.dat file that is only 139MB but if I look in the zip of the save I can see the files size was supposed to be about 463MB. This was basically what happened with the WE map. So for some reason even if there is enough space on the device it failes to complete installs. I think I'm screwed until I can call their support line.

The re-install of the original US map just failed too, basically the same way. It all looks fine as it's loading but then it gets near the end and fails. Now I have a J:\USA_and_Canada with a cline.dat file that is only 139MB but if I look in the zip of the save I can see the files size was supposed to be about 463MB. This was basically what happened with the WE map. So for some reason even if there is enough space on the device it failes to complete installs. I think I'm screwed until I can call their support line.

Just a suggestion and it is what support helped me with , If you have enough room on your computer cut and past or drag the entire contents from your unit to a file on your desktop then do a restore from your backup to your unit and then do your NA map download, that should work and if it does then you can delete the file you created and copied your info in. If it doesn't work you still have the file you created on your desktop to copy back into your unit.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion and it is what support helped me with , If you have enough room on your computer cut and past or drag the entire contents from your unit to a file on your desktop then do a restore from your backup to your unit and then do your NA map download, that should work and if it does then you can delete the file you created and copied your info in. If it doesn't work you still have the file you created on your desktop to copy back into your unit.

Thanks for the idea

I finally got the US map back on and I am now trying to add the WE map. I called TOM TOM twice about this and they were very nice in trying to help me and did provide me with a free updated version of the US map for me to download. But none of what they told me really worked. They did eventually reply to my web support posts too though it took them 2 days to reply.

One very useful thing they told me is that you can safely delete any map dir on the device without impacting the system files. Also if you are trying to re-download anything that you recently purchase that you think might be corrupted you can delete all references to that map in your TOM TOM dir in your profile and on the device and then when you relaunch TTH you will receive them in the updates again.

I.E. delete USA_and_Canada from:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERID\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads
and
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERID\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\FromDevice

And as mentioned else where MAKE A BACK UP first, Switched maps does not automatically make a full back up of the device. This is a separate function in TTH.

I googled "error occurred cline.dat" and read all the threads I found. It seems this is a known issue but the cause was never really clear. There was never any clear cut issue. Some tried multiple times and then it completed. Some added an SD card. Some tried a second PC. Some used a faster internet connection and re-downloaded the file. Some I couldn’t even follow!

In my case I installed TTH on a second PC and deleted the US map dir from the device and tried to install and it worked the first try. I have no idea why this would not work on the first PC. I also read that it is a good idea to get an SD card to expand your memory but there seems to be a size limit. 2 to 4 GB depending on the post.

The next problem I had was trying to figure out how to use the SD card in the device. What I have read was you need to copy the entire device contents to the SD card and then use TTH to install the additional map. If you just stick in the SD card out of the box TTH will copy files to it but the install will fail because it can't verify the the rest of the OS.

I have a 2GB SD card that I am about to copy the entire device on (after I make my back up of course) it and then try to install the WE map via TTH.

Last edited:
I finally got the US map back on and I am now trying to add the WE map. I called TOM TOM twice about this and they were very nice in trying to help me and did provide me with a free updated version of the US map for me to download. But none of what they told me really worked. They did eventually reply to my web support posts too though it took them 2 days to reply.

One very useful thing they told me is that you can safely delete any map dir on the device without impacting the system files. Also if you are trying to re-download anything that you recently purchase that you think might be corrupted you can delete all references to that map in your TOM TOM dir in your profile and on the device and then when you relaunch TTH you will receive them in the updates again.

I.E. delete USA_and_Canada from:
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERID\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads
and
C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR_USERID\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\FromDevice

And as mentioned else where MAKE A BACK UP first, Switched maps does not automatically make a full back up of the device. This is a separate function in TTH.

I googled "error occurred cline.dat" and read all the threads I found. It seems this is a known issue but the cause was never really clear. There was never any clear cut issue. Some tried multiple times and then it completed. Some added an SD card. Some tried a second PC. Some used a faster internet connection and re-downloaded the file. Some I couldn?t even follow!

In my case I installed TTH on a second PC and deleted the US map dir from the device and tried to install and it worked the first try. I have no idea why this would not work on the first PC. I also read that it is a good idea to get an SD card to expand your memory but there seems to be a size limit. 2 to 4 GB depending on the post.

The next problem I had was trying to figure out how to use the SD card in the device. What I have read was you need to copy the entire device contents to the SD card and then use TTH to install the additional map. If you just stick in the SD card out of the box TTH will copy files to it but the install will fail because it can't verify the the rest of the OS.

I have a 2GB SD card that I am about to copy the entire device on (after I make my back up of course) it and then try to install the WE map via TTH.

FYI - all of this did finally work as I mentioned above. But I decided instead to keep US on device and I installed WE on SD card.

Note: I have had the issues of no power after removing and reinserting SD card. Pin in the reboot hole on device clears that up.

Note: I have had the issues of no power after removing and reinserting SD card. Pin in the reboot hole on device clears that up.

Just 'pop' the sd card slightly before pushing the power button. When the unit starts, immediately push the sd card back in and it will boot from the card.

Ask a Question