Can't Enter Home Location!

I just got this XXL 550 and the first thing it did when I turned it on was ask me to enter my home location. Then it said there was no such address and put in a different address across town! It won't let me change it to the right address. Is there a way to fix this or should I just pack up the piece of junk and send it back and get something better like a Magellan or something? Thanks.

It's not just my home location, I can't enter any address. If I try to plan a route to some location and attempt to put in the street address it says "number not found" and puts in 8899 instead!
Also if I need to put in a number like 500 S. there is no way to enter the S. Is there some way to make a street address work?

Do you have a gps fix when you are trying to enter a number? Assuming you do have a gps fix, can you change the Home location to 'current location'?

It's not just my home location, I can't enter any address. If I try to plan a route to some location and attempt to put in the street address it says "number not found" and puts in 8899 instead!
Also if I need to put in a number like 500 S. there is no way to enter the S. Is there some way to make a street address work?
OK .. I think I see the issue. If the address is 500 S. Main St., you don't enter "Main St". and then "500 S". You enter "S Main St" and then "500". Does that help?

Also, you can set your Home location in lots of different ways.
I find the most accurate is to do it from the "Browse map" screen
On my XL it's:
Change preferences / Change home location / page 2/ Point on map

Your menu structure may be a bit different, but it will be there somewhere.

It won't work using my finger but I finally got it to work by using a stylus from my old windows mobile phone. The thing should come with a stylus to operate it if that's what it needs but the problem is there's no place to store it.

Are you good with the appropriate method (the format, not finger vs. stylus) of entering addresses now? It's something we all have to adjust to when we first start using these things.

You shouldn't need to use a stylus, a normal finger should work fine.

The screen uses resistive sensitivity to register your screen taps. Are your hands particularly dry/calloused?

Are your hands particularly dry/calloused?
? That would be an issue for a capacitive screen, Andy. A resistive screen doesn't much care what hits it as long as it's in the right place and hard enough to register.

? That would be an issue for a capacitive screen

:tape: You're right....Theory certainly agrees with you, but I have found that sometimes the state of my fingers does seem to make a bit of a difference... maybe I'm imagining it!
But then I tend to use my fingernail, and that's pretty dry and hard!

Really, I was just clutching at straws to think of why the OP should be having so much difficulty, and to stop him from thinking "the thing should come with a stylus to operate it if that's what it needs".... as that's NOT normal.

Ask a Question