cannot connect to live services

Hi i just recieved a new 750 go live yesterday.i used to have an old go510. it comes with one months free service.
i already have a home account, which transfered to the new tomtom.
I connected to the PC okay and fully updated the device.

however it will not connect to live services, i get the message unable to connect to live services server.
i have checked the network signal strenght and its 4 bars. and says connected.

i have done a reset to factory settings and also try the hard/soft reset by holding down the power button.

the bar on the left show a yellow warning triangle.

so i am lost and not sure what todo.. other than wait to call tomtom on monday.

also another wierd problem is when i go to enter my account details and password the keyboard for the password is only available in upper case,, yet my password has both upper and lower case !! strange

then is always comes back with operation cancelled

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:
There are lots of people reporting that Live services are at best hit and miss at the moment, seemed to start around 18:00 yesterday (UK Time) and we are still seeing problems, probably the server having "issues" again, try it tomorrow and see what it does - Mike

I am having the exact same problem as the post author. I just purchased the 340 XL S Live (DC area) I have not been able to connect to the LIve Services all day. Its a bit disheartening because I researched this yet extensively and made the switch from Garmin to TomTom after previously owning 2 Garmin Units.

I'm hoping my unit isnt faulty and it is indeed a problem with the actually TomTom Server. I'll keep my fingers crossed considering that other areas are having some problems with the LIve Service.

Exact same problem as origial poster with 550 LIVE since I upgraded my trial period to a 12 month. Some intermittent connection problems last night connecting to server but was working - came home, decided to take the plunge and purchase - and since then "unable to conect to TomTom server" despite GPRS network connection being decent signal strengh...

AND: exactly like you - cannot change the "MyTomTom account" to the correct details - still shows as 'anonymous. On trying to change it accepts username fine, but you cannot enter password in anything except uppercase capitals - no lowercase option - even went as far as changing password online to all numeric to try to resolve this - and am kicked back out after a few seconds with "operation cancelled". Tried soft reset, factory default reset, restore etc....nothing works. All I can see for traffic display is a yellow warning triangle - am in UK by the way - is there ONE TomTom server for ALL countries.?..if its also happening in US and on different servers, this would suggest its a software problem

I too, after advice from Mike et al, am hoping this is a server/account problem at their end rather than a batch of faulty units- it would seem likely as a few of us are having same problem and I guess we just have to wait till monday to here back.. I am hoping it is NOT a problem with upgrading subscriptions so that you cant change your login etc - and its a unique username never used for any other tomtom product (although have had 3 units over the past few years).

Ive emailed online support so when I get an answer will copy it to forum.

cheers

Apple.

live services

i got a 950 for xmas it worked fine to friday night then couldn't connect to live i took it back to halfords and they give me a new one but same problem so i think its there serves not the tomtom 950

The connection issues in the US seem to differ from GB. I've had several short-term outages in the past at the same time that others report no problem and vice-versa. I only recall a couple of instances where live was down in all areas at the same time. But overall the service was quite a bit less reliable than I had expected it to be when I purchased my 740. Slow or failed connections happened several times a month. One of the reasons I was undecided whether to continue my month to month subscription a couple months ago. TomTom's screw up with my account, which claims I still have an active subscription (I don't) and won't allow me to renew it helped me make the choice.

Last edited:
As per other posts on this live services server error, the problem seems to be resolved (In the UK at least). My live services are back up and running, as are those of another fellow TT live user.

Good luck with your live services

Ollie

still down in Seatle, WA

I just bought a new 740 golive. Same issue as everyone else. All Live servers seem to be dead at the sever end. Its been that way since noon yesterday.

If you have bought a new unit, don't return it to the store in hopes of getting a replacement that works. The units appear to be fine and the connection to the live services appears to be fine. The servers in their datacenter appear to be 100% broken. I'm going to wait for the severs to come back up for another day. If they don't, I'll just return the unit.

I am very glad I don't actually need the thing now. If I were on vacation or using it for a trip I would be very upset to say the least. TomTom should credit folks who paid for this month in my opinion. Being down for almost an entire weekend is inexcusable.

As per other posts on this live services server error, the problem seems to be resolved (In the UK at least). My live services are back up and running, as are those of another fellow TT live user.

Good luck with your live services

Ollie

Around 1100 EST here in the U.S, my 340 XL S Live services finally came on line and everything is a go. I have to say, I am REALLY impressed with the Live services here in the DC area. So far no regrets from switching to TomTom from Garmin and hopefully it stays this way. ;)

I spoke with tech support on Monday, they said server was down since Wed. Jan 6th. I still cannot connect to live services. It's been 10 days. Anyone have any update?

A user in another forum I moderate reports his Live subscription (for traffic) is ok. He lives in Rhode Island and posted 10 minutes ago.

When you go to the network screen that shows how many bars of reception you have and the IMEI #, SIM #, MCC # and unit ID #, what do you see?

If its connected to the service but not 'connecting' you should still see all those numbers and the bars for the reception indicating at least you are connected to AT&T/Jasper.

If it says 'not connected' and the two top numbers are not there SIM and MCC its probable that the trouble is with the SIM card or its shut off at Jasper/AT&T.

I just re enabled mine which was shut off and they didn't think to check that first. Had me go through some hoops etc. I spoke with a rep named Jason who looked at that right away and re enabled the service.

If this is what is happening to you when you first turn the unit on go immediately to the network screen and you'll see no numbers and no bars - as the unit boots up the unit ID and IMEI are recognized and come up then it shows bars for reception and then the SIM number comes up and then the MCC comes up and after a failed handshake it says 'not connected' and the MCC and SIM numbers along with the bars disappear.

I hope this helps or if not that they can get you going. DHN mentioned this in another forum so I came here to just post my experience with this.

Miracles DO happen!

Just for giggles, I tried once again to reactivate my Live services. This time no prob, went thru smooth as could be. Didn't work anytime I tried in November or December. 5th or 6th time charm I guess. Now for some new traffic comparisons again.

One thing that's occurred to me is that it looks like TomTom has pretty much abandoned the 740's with regard to firmware updates/bug fixes. It may be what we have is what we got. Makes sense I guess since the x40's were selling in Europe months before a model was released here, so TomTom has little interest in continuing improvements to them, moving on to the x50's. Only the x50's in Europe and recent XL's here seem to be getting any updates.

Let us know what you think Gator, curious if you feel its still on par with Navteq.

In Boston, routes.tomtom.com is getting much more accurate, with occasional reports in no-trucks-allowed lanes. I suspect there are a decent number of LIVE probes on the road and perhaps inrix signed a probe contract with a local cab company.

They're still missing major jams in car-only places, so I'm sure they don't have cellphone probes yet.

When you go to the network screen that shows how many bars of reception you have and the IMEI #, SIM #, MCC # and unit ID #, what do you see?

If its connected to the service but not 'connecting' you should still see all those numbers and the bars for the reception indicating at least you are connected to AT&T/Jasper.

If it says 'not connected' and the two top numbers are not there SIM and MCC its probable that the trouble is with the SIM card or its shut off at Jasper/AT&T.

I just re enabled mine which was shut off and they didn't think to check that first. Had me go through some hoops etc. I spoke with a rep named Jason who looked at that right away and re enabled the service.

If this is what is happening to you when you first turn the unit on go immediately to the network screen and you'll see no numbers and no bars - as the unit boots up the unit ID and IMEI are recognized and come up then it shows bars for reception and then the SIM number comes up and then the MCC comes up and after a failed handshake it says 'not connected' and the MCC and SIM numbers along with the bars disappear.

I hope this helps or if not that they can get you going. DHN mentioned this in another forum so I came here to just post my experience with this.

I have the problem you describe, unfortunately I didn't have the luck you did with support. They made me reset device, disabled my tomtom account and now I'm on hold again with tech support to attempt to add my live services back to my account.

tell the person who answers to manually reenable jaspar. maybe that will help them remember

Ask a Question