Cannot backup Tom Tom XL 330S

When I go to Tom Tom Home to backup my device, it appears to be saving to my computer. But I get the error message below. I've tried several times. When I browse to the folder, it is empty.
I've created a new folder to save my backups to.
What is going on?

ERROR: DesktopLib/FileCopy/Error: An error occurred. Unable to create the files required to copy this item to your computer.
@ .\controller\FileCopyThread.cpp(137)
An error occurred while reading this file: "J:\USA_and_Canada\traffic.inc"
An error occurred while writing to this file: "C:\Users\Rick & Donna\Documents\Tom Tom MY backups\XL\Backup01\InternalMemory\USA_and_Canada\traffic.inc"
in .\controller\FileCopyThread.cpp:137
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1058
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 17:03:42 GMT

Oh, that was easy! Copy and paste. But I did get one error message while the files were transferring:

An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this problem:

Error 0x80070570: The file or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

traffic.inc
Type: INC File
Size: 0 bytes
Date modified 1/12/10

My choices then were to Try Again, Skip, or Cancel.

I clicked skip. It had 0 bytes anyways.

Was the map you were trying to copy to the computer (along with everything else) an update? The reason I ask is that a bug crept into Home where the updated map had 2 files tmccodes.dat and traffic.dat with 0 bytes (which sounds as if it is your issue) when installed.

If it was a map update, you'll find the map in compressed .cab format here:

c:\documents and settings\yourname\my documents\TomTom\Home\Downloads\Complete\Maps\

Extract the 2 files, tmccodes.dat and traffic.dat using Winrar and overwrite both the existing files on your unit in the map folder with 0 bytes AND in your backed up map folder.

I had just received my Tom Tom a month ago. I had not back it up yet!! So what I was doing today was the first backup ever. My device had updates on it already.

In the last paragraph that you wrote, what do you mean by "....with 0 bytes..."?

The 2 files are not really 0 bytes in size. They are larger. But they both became corrupt when Home installed the map and therefore they showed as 0 bytes.

Are you saying you have not gotten any map upgrades since your unit was purchased?

By the way, traffic.dat has 1 kb when I checked the location you gave me. Do I still need to extract and overwrite them both? In other words, since I have traffic.dat with 1 kb, is everything ok with my device? It appears that I have to extract the whole folder USA and Canada.zip and cannot just extract the 2 files.

If you use WinRar, you can select individual files to extract. The ones in the cab file are correct. You can extract the two files and overwrite the existing ones on the unit and in your backup.

I backed up a second device. Afterwards, it said it had no maps on it. So while trying to copy and paste all files and folders back into it at one time, it said it could not do it because there was not enough room on the device. So I've been doing them one or two at a time. When I got to the maps folder, I still could not copy and paste that one. It is very large and before it even gives me the chance to merge them it simply says that the file will not fit. Any ideas?

Why are you trying to copy maps or other files TO the device? (other than the tmccodes.dat and traffic.dat files?)

Thought you wanted to backup FROM the device to the computer.

Yes. I wanted to backup. And did so on both devices. The other device, after backup, lost its maps. So according to the link in one of your first posts, it says in order to restore the contents simply reverse the process. But it won't work because even though the device says no maps, when I copy and paste the contents of the backup folder to the device, it won't allow me to do this because it says there is not enough room on the device but yet the device says no maps!!!

Simply doing an Explorer backup will not cause the maps to be lost. When you look at the contents of the UNIT using Explorer, do you see the map folder there?

Yes, the maps are there.
It seems everytime I connect it to the computer, the computer wants to scan and fix it and finds an error. And when trying to copy everything from the backup folder to the device, I've gotten a few error messages. One message ended up telling me that it created a folder called Found, for missing files. Then while copying and pasting to restore, I received Error 0x800703EE (data09.vif).
It seems odd not to even be able to use the program (TomTom Home) to restore the device.

Now when I turn it on, it makes it to the startup image and stalls there. It doesn't even get to the point where it says no maps.

Do a reset on the unit (hold the power button for 10 seconds or so). does that help?

For the device you are having issues with..........you DO have an Explorer backup, correct?

If so, use Explorer to format the unit. Don't use quickformat. Then use Explorer to copy back the contents of the backup.

Do NOT use the backup from the other device you have.

Yes I have an Explorer backup. Made yesterday.
I don't know how to use Explorer to format the unit. Can you explain that please? And I assume that formating will basically delete all of the files on there so that I will have room to copy all of the files from the backup folder back on to it?

Ask a Question