Cannot backup XL IQ Routes

When I try to backup via TomTom HOME, it gives me a message :

"An error has occured"

"There is not enough hard disk space on your computer to make a backup. Before you try again, you need to free up an extra 211.4 Gb of hard disk space"

What the!!! The device only holds 2Gb max, so why the hell does it give me that message?

If I go to the device drive number, select the files & folders try to just copy and paste the device contents I get a "Cannot read from device" message.

ANy advice out there?

Mike

How much space DO you have on the computer?? Are you trying to backup to a partition with not much room?

And you are saying that Explorer won't let you do a backup?

Try to reset the unit and try again.....

Use Windows Explorer to make the back up as the Home software isn't very good at doing vital tasks such as a backup - Mike

How much space DO you have on the computer?? Are you trying to backup to a partition with not much room?

And you are saying that Explorer won't let you do a backup?

Try to reset the unit and try again.....

I have 40Gb free space on the hard drive, is that insufficient??

When I try to use Windows Explorer to do a "simple" copy, it says that the unit cannot be read.

How should I "reset" the unit... is it just on and off ?

Many thanks for the help so far chaps.

Mike

40G is waaaay more than you need. Sounds as if the internal storage is corrupt. Have you a backup that was made prior to this all happening?

The point is that the specific map folder (and its contents) want to be protected, the rest you can download for free.

Try right clicking the unit in Explorer, go to Properties, and Repair unit.

Ta. I have managed to explore the device and I'm currently backing up one folder "Western_and_Central_Europe_2GB" - as I assume this is one of the most important folders.
What other folders are key to backup?
There seem to be some strange file types in the root folder that won't copy - with non alpha-numeric characters in the filename.

My unit is only a few weeks old, so this is all a bit of a voyage of discovery. Appreciate the help

Mike

Yes, that map is the one you want to make sure is backed up.

Sounds as if some files in the root have become corrupt.

Once the backup is made (and double check it IS copied to the computer), then format your unit. Don't use quickformat.

Then connect to Home to get the application it'll offer. Install it, close Home (ensure it's not running in the notification are) and use Explorer to copy back the map folder. (don't delete the map folder from the computer, though)

It should boot properly now.......

Yes, that map is the one you want to make sure is backed up.

Sounds as if some files in the root have become corrupt.

Once the backup is made (and double check it IS copied to the computer), then format your unit. Don't use quickformat.

Then connect to Home to get the application it'll offer. Install it, close Home (ensure it's not running in the notification are) and use Explorer to copy back the map folder. (don't delete the map folder from the computer, though)

It should boot properly now.......
What is it best method to perform the format? Standard windows right-click function I suppose and choose "format"?

Here's a screencap of my root folder. Hopefully you can see the file types I am on about

tomtom_root.jpg

Yep, that's what I thought they'd look like.

Right click, choose format but NOT quickformat.

This is after copying your map folder to the computer.

Formatting a XL IQ Routes

I stupidly decided to subscribe to the map upgrades, Upon completion a fully working unit now isn't. I too get the 150gb memory required and it won't copy all the files manually. However I have backed up the map.

My question relates to the formatting of the unit. TomTom say format to FAT32 but a post in another format says format to FAT not FAT32. Which is correct?

I am hoping that as I have backed up the map all other necessary data will be picked up via TomTom Home.

Thank you for all of your valuable feedback.

I did a reformat of the unit, connected back up so that it downloaded some base files - then copied across my maps - sorted!

Tested doing a backup via the HOME software and all worked fine.

Corrpupt files after automated map upgrade

Hi All,

Like actomox i subscriped to the quartley map upgrade and i have had exactly the same problem on my XL IQ

Unfortunately i do not have a backup so i guess i need to try to manually copy as many files as possible from the device before formatting.

Please can you advise as to what are the essential files to copy and what will be re-installed by the software after the format.

On a side note i have looged a call to TomTom about this issue as this is the second time i have had this issue when doing map upgrades, i am not sure if i am doing it incorrcetly but i floowed the webiste advice to the letter.

Thanks for your helpin advance.

The most important folder is the Map folder, named UK&ROI or Western_Europe or North_America, without a copy of the map folder things will get costly, all the other files/ data needed for the device can be downloaded from the TT server from links we can offer here, be a lot easier though if you back up all of it - Mike

Like actomox i subscriped to the quartley map upgrade and i have had exactly the same problem on my XL IQ

You don't need to save any files. Just format the Tomtom and HOME will reinstall everything. Normally you need to save your map because you have to pay to get it back. But since you have a subscription you've already paid, so HOME will give you a map at no (further) cost at any time that your subscription is active.

If you purchased the Western Europe map, there are separate issues where it doesn't fit on many devices. If so post back and we'll link you to a partial workaround.

Ask a Question