TomTom Model(s)
When I try and do a back up I get an error re coping this file:

zA_ttwd_bremen.sh

The file size is 0 , I can't delete it.

this is part of the erro:
@ .\controller\FileCopyThread.cpp(137)
An error occurred while reading this file: "N:\fleetecd\zA_ttwd_bremen.sh"

Any help would be appreciated

Are you using Home or Explorer to make your backup? (You should use Explorer for all backups/restores)

If using Home, try Explorer. If still no luck, try renaming the file. Any better?

Actually, the folder referenced (fleetecd) was put there in an earlier application version and really has no relelvance for the normal 720 user as it is geared to TomTom Work, which most users don't have, and which relates to TT's sales to fleets.

What application version do you have on your unit? If not the latest (8.302), you could try updating.

Also, you could try deleting the entire fleetecd folder.

Finally, do you have Zone Alarm on your computer? If so, you could try shutting it down and see whether that file copies. Don't be connected to Home when you are doing so, though.

Anyway, things to try........

dhn,
When you ask if I use Home or Explorer for my backup my answer is;

Can't use Home to do the backup as it is Greyed Out today, last time I posted it was not greyed out but would not work because of the corrupt file.

I have tried to copy from TomTom to a folder on my computer using Explorer, but it will not work because of the corrupt file. I have copied all the files from TomTom to the folder except "fleetecd".

I have tried to delete the folder and the file but it will not let me it says that the file is corrupt.

This may not hep my cause, but I would say that I have had more trouble with my TomTom 720 than any other item in its type (e.g. Notebooks, PC's, Mobile phone etc.). For the price I paid I have had very little trouble free use from it.
These are some of my complaints;
Voice does not work each time
Blue tooth connection to my Motorola phone does not work each time.
When the phone connection does work, outgoing and imcoming call only 1 side of the conversation can be heard (they can hear me, I can't hear them or vice versa) Next time I turn it on it will function fine.
Some time my update will not install

Now today when I connect it to my PC and check for update (which it did fine) The following errors have started;

Tell me I can not do a backup (Greyed Out- Help say my model does not support backups)
.... oops just turned it back on and Backup are now not Greyed out.
But I get this error again;

Documents\TomTom\HOME\Backup\GO\Backup01\InternalMemory\fleetecd\zA_ttwd_bremen.sh"
in .\controller\FileCopyThread.cpp:137

Any help would be appreciated, my slow response to your kind reply was because I did not receive email notification.

Perhaps Aussie support can help:

Australia 1300 135 604 Monday - Friday: 09:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. EST

There's a small freeware program called KILLBOX that will often remove files which otherwise can't be deleted. It might be worth trying: KillBox.Net.

I suspect the filesystem on the tomtom is corrupt, usually caused by the tomtom being unplugged from the computer without clicking the "disconnect" button. Try this to fix:

- Shutdown home, right-click the tomtom drive in my computer, and click properties.
- Then click the "tools" tab, click "check now", then check both checkboxes and click start.

This should clean up any problems, and you should then be able to delete the offending file.

Thank you all for your helpful replies;

I rang Australian support and after trying a few things the tech suggested I copy the data to my PC and then format the drive (to remove the offending file) I did this then copied all the data back and now my TomTom is back and working - no offending file.

Thank you all again

Regards,

John A

There's a small freeware program called KILLBOX that will often remove files which otherwise can't be deleted. It might be worth trying: KillBox.Net.

Try SUper-Deleter (on Windows).... Highlight the file, then, Shift-->Delete (Deletel button whilst holding down the shift button).

You SURE you don't have a virus floating around?

Thank you all for your helpful replies;

I rang Australian support and after trying a few things the tech suggested I copy the data to my PC and then format the drive (to remove the offending file) I did this then copied all the data back and now my TomTom is back and working - no offending file.

Thank you all again

Regards,

John A

That's good.... sorry, responded to a post w/o reading the ENTIRE thread.... good to hear.

I will say, the TT CAN be a little eccentric, but, over all, it works well. I am getting the impression that TTs are best for folks with a little computer savy. Not always "plug and play" :)

TTs are best for folks with a little computer savy. Not always "plug and play" :)

What do you mean by this? Are you saying that not being able to clear a corrupt file make you a "Plug and Play" user only.

Nothing that Australian support suggested worked, except formatting the drive. I tried the other suggestion (Kill Box) and it did not work.

If you read my full post you would see that my TomTom has been a pain from day 1.

Maybe I have a "Lemon?. The day after I formatted the disk and reloaded everything, I tried to use it to go to one of my Clients and instead of taking me the way it normally would (The location was in my Favourites) it took me via a parallel street and in the back on the address.

I was going to my clients to do some work on the companies network and server.

What do you mean by this? Are you saying that not being able to clear a corrupt file make you a "Plug and Play" user only.

Nothing that Australian support suggested worked, except formatting the drive. I tried the other suggestion (Kill Box) and it did not work.

If you read my full post you would see that my TomTom has been a pain from day 1.

Maybe I have a "Lemon”. The day after I formatted the disk and reloaded everything, I tried to use it to go to one of my Clients and instead of taking me the way it normally would (The location was in my Favourites) it took me via a parallel street and in the back on the address.

I was going to my clients to do some work on the companies network and server.

I apologize, I wasn't trying to imply anything regarding your skills. It has just been my observation that the TTs tend to be a little finicky. The fact that you pursued it to a point that you did to drive a solution (eventually) puts you beyond a pnp user, which is precisely my point. If you had NO computer savy at all, it still wouldn't be working for you. It appears it still isn't, but you will get there eventually.

wasn't knocking you at all. I would never have had this thing working as I want it to work w/o the motivation to hack on it. Doesn't make it the ideal consumer product, as I think you would agree.

Sorry Sir, didn't mean this to come across as it did. You actually made my point. With none of the savy that you have, you may NEVER get it working right.

My TT has provided several challenges over the year. Thank god for this forum. I am NOT a TT expert, but I enjoy learning and playing around with stuff. If I didn't, it would already be gone.

Not the ideal GPS for a pnp desiring user...IMHO.

Grumpy_Aero_Guy,

No offence taken and I apologize for being a bit over the top. As I said I just think that my TomTom is a lemon.

Next time it really gives me a pain, I will replace it with another brand. I don't use it that much for my day to day work, as I am going to addresses that I have been to many times.

When I go on Holiday (Vacation) I use it with limited success. I don't like being told to "Turn around when possible" and you are on a Freeway (Motorway).

Ask a Question