cannot accress to my TOMTOM GO 720 internal mem

Hi

I just got TOMTOM GO 720....but it doesn't work at the moment...it show me the blink red cross all the time.

When I connect it to my computer I cannot access to the internal memory of TOMTOM at all...( not that i get the empty folder or anything but i cannot even access but i can access to my SD card though)

So I could not get any file out of the internal memory and also cannot format data inside.

I would like to know if anybody has experience this kind of problem or it is broken and I have to send it Service Center.

Thank you guys

See if information here helps.

Thank you ...but i have read those already before...and as i said ....I cannot access to internal memory at all....so it is impossible at the moment to do anything with the data inside including uninstall or install things.....

TOMTOM home cannot even see my device after i connect with out SD CARD

When you connect the unit to the computer, does Explorer see the existence of the unit as a separate drive?

When you connect the unit to the computer, does Explorer see the existence of the unit as a separate drive?

:) ...I can see the two new drives on my computer ...but Explorer also cannot access to it. When I double click on it ...it show "please insert disc..." ...something similar to when connecting computer to card reader without any memory card device in card reader...

It is a reason ...I start to think that may be some internal hardware have problem.

Do you get the 'please insert disk' for both drives or just one? If just one, the other drive is likely the unit, itself.

If you can't resolve the situation, perhaps a call to support in Germany is in order. Here is the information:

Deutsch Telefonnummern ?ffnungszeiten
Deutschland 01805003842 Montag bis Freitag von 09:00 bis 18:30 Uhr MEZ
14 Cent/Min. vom deutschen Festnetz (mobiele Tarife k?nnen variieren)
?sterreich 0810102557 Montag bis Freitag von 09:00 bis 18:30 Uhr MEZ

Schweiz 0844000016 Montag bis Freitag von 09:00 bis 18:30 Uhr MEZ

Last edited:
Do you get the 'please insert disk' for both drives or just one? If just one, the other drive is likely the unit, itself.

If you can't resolve the situation, perhaps a call to support in Germany is in order. Here is the information:

Deutsch Telefonnummern ?ffnungszeiten
Deutschland 01805003842 Montag bis Freitag von 09:00 bis 18:30 Uhr MEZ
14 Cent/Min. vom deutschen Festnetz (mobiele Tarife k?nnen variieren)
?sterreich 0810102557 Montag bis Freitag von 09:00 bis 18:30 Uhr MEZ

Schweiz 0844000016 Montag bis Freitag von 09:00 bis 18:30 Uhr MEZ

I get that "please insert disk" only from the internal memory drive...i can access my SD card...so I believe that I could be able to use it when i plug my SD card in. However I would like to know if my internal memory can be fixed somehow....

We called to service center already...but may be there are some misunderstanding on the problem so they told us to re-install the software. We will try to call them again. Thank you for your help. I am very appreciated. :)

I get that "please insert disk" only from the internal memory drive...i can access my SD card...so I believe that I could be able to use it when i plug my SD card in. However I would like to know if my internal memory can be fixed somehow....

We called to service center already...but may be there are some misunderstanding on the problem so they told us to re-install the software. We will try to call them again. Thank you for your help. I am very appreciated. :)

Sometimes you get "please insert disc" if a drive is corrupt, but format still works. Have you tried to reformat the internal memory of the tomtom, by right-clicking on the drive and choosing "format"?

If that doesn't work, your internal memory or your tomtom bootloader may be defective. Try installing the application to the SD card. extract (using winrar) the contents of this file onto the SD card, plug it into the tomtom, and see if it starts up. You'll need to restore your maps from a backup, or buy new ones, or sweet talk tomtom support to get you another map for free.

Could you advise if this problem got resolved?

I have exactly the same thing with my TT730.

@tedc, do you have a backup taken from the device prior the fault, if so copy all the files and folders from the back up to a 4GB SDHC memory card using a card reader and insert that to the device.
If you don't have a back up on the PC did you ever update the map using your current computer as it will be possible to recover the device from files burried on the drive of your PC - Mike

No access to GO 720 internal memory

Any progress on this issue?

Was the problem ever resolved, anyone?

I have a GO 720 with exactly the same problem;
Following a map upgrade gone wrong & attempts to clear the flash memory, the 720 will not allow WIndows (7) access to its internal flash memory.
Windows sees both the internal & external drives, but when trying to access or format the internal drive it reports 'no media' inserted & won't allow any access what so ever.
(Home can't access the internal memory either)
The external drive works fine with a SD card inserted, but I would prefer to have the 720 boot from the internal memory.

Grateful for any hints on how to fix this problem.
Cheers,
D2Cap

Any progress on this issue?

Was the problem ever resolved, anyone?

To be honest I don't think there's anything to resolve or much more to be said...
If the internal memory has died (a not uncommon thing - it happened to mine) then it's truly dead. You can't replace or repair it

Grateful for any hints on how to fix this problem.

Simples...
Forget the internal memory - it's gone.
Buy a 4 or 8GB Class 6 SDHC card and use that.
You probably won't notice any difference at all, but some people report their TomTom is actually a little faster when working from a card.

Thanks Andy_P

Thanks for your very quick reply!

A bit frustrating & such a shame though that the internal memory can give up after probably no more than half a dozen updates, don?t you think?
Apart from this mishap it?s been a great little GPS!

I have actually noticed that the GO 720 boots a tad faster using the external memory (a 16GB SDHC at the moment).

One oddity that indicates that at least some part of the internal memory
(the BIOS presumably) may be functional;

When I upgrade the NavCore on the SD card, start the unit with the SD card in, & then switch off & re-start with the SD card removed, while holding the power button down (accessing ?diagnosis? mode), the unit indicates that it has been updated with the new Bootloader version on the SD card, it also indicates that it has entered
?Startup mode: Sleep? .... (Don?t know what that means?)

Having read several posts on various fora about the enigmatic Bootloader (apparently residing at the beginning of the ?ttsystem? file), this seems to indicate that just starting the unit with a new NavCore (& Bootloader) automatically updates the ?BIOS? part of the internal memory.

Let?s just hope that this part of the internal memory is of better quality than the 2GB I appear to just have lost!

Cheers & thanks,

D2Cap

Thanks for your very quick reply!

A bit frustrating & such a shame though that the internal memory can give up after probably no more than half a dozen updates, don’t you think?
Apart from this mishap it’s been a great little GPS!

I don't know for sure but it seems to me that the internal memory they used seems to start to fail at a certain age rather then after a certain number of updates.

Having read several posts on various fora about the enigmatic Bootloader (apparently residing at the beginning of the ‘ttsystem’ file), this seems to indicate that just starting the unit with a new NavCore (& Bootloader) automatically updates the ‘BIOS’ part of the internal memory.

Let’s just hope that this part of the internal memory is of better quality than the 2GB I appear to just have lost!

I think you're right.....
The bootloader does seem to reside somewhere else and not on the main memory chips. Maybe there is some cache memory on the processor itself?

the unit indicates that it has been updated with the new Bootloader version on the SD card, it also indicates that it has entered
‘Startup mode: Sleep’ .... (Don’t know what that means?)

That's normal... that just means that the last time it was switched on, it it did a normal startup and not a re-boot.
(because when we do a normal switch OFF it's not truly turned off, it just "goes to sleep")

A bit frustrating & such a shame though that the internal memory can give up after probably no more than half a dozen updates, don?t you think?
Flash is updated every time you shut the unit down. That's how it recalls recent changes, rather than really killing the memory by writing changes to it on an ongoing basis.

Thanks for sharing your insights Andy_P & canderson!
It's guys like you that makes this such a great forum!
Will try to wrestle a response from the clutched fists of TomTom on this memory issue, will get back when I hear something...
Cheers!,
D2Cap

The good news is that apart from a bootloader update, there's no reason that the boot block of flash will ever have been messed with. The really low level stuff resides there, often making a unit accessible to a PC as an external drive even when there's a dead hole in the area of flash that you and I can see. Even changing your unit's configuration doesn't cause writes to that critical area of memory - those are stored in a file in the 'visible' area.

Still waiting for an 'official' reply from TomTom on this issue of internal memory dying prematurely...
Been a week now, but will update this thread when I hear something...
D2Cap

Ask a Question