Canadian Wants the new Maps

TomTom Model(s)
TT One 2nd Gen
I am canadian and want to purchase the lastest maps, but the canadian website has been down for ever, they told me that some canadians from TTFORUMS were able to buy the maps the USA Site with a canadian VISA.

Please Move POST to right section

Last edited:
That is correct, Matt.

Set the country as US when you go to the site to subscribe but be advised that even with it set to US, you are going to find that the invoice charge will still show as euros for us Canadians.

(When I subscribed last March, the exchange in euros resulted in an overall charge about $3 more than if it had stayed as US dollars).

Also, your credit card company (yep, I used Visa - TD), a couple more % is added on. What else is new? :)

You should receive two auto emails: one confirming the purchase and another with an attached pdf of your invoice with the confirmation number. Keep that! Just in case.........

Watch out if you finish up on a European website as I did. I tried to log in using the US site but TT in their infinite stupidity kept redirecting me to the Dutch site, so not only do you get billed in Euros, you also get screwed for the 20% VAT. They WILL NOT refund the VAT as they claim you "voluntarily" purchased from an European site, even though the Canadian one has been down for eons, and TT redirects you to a Dutch site.

ex-egll

Why not buying your maps through TT home ?
I think I bought my european map through home last time and I had no surchage because of the euro (If I remember correctly)

Benoit

For some reason, brouv, Canadians are directed to a Euopean site (Netherlands) even if we set our country as US (Canadians have NEVER been able to buy maps through Home using the country as Canada, since we ALWAYS get the message about TT being sorry but the Canadian map store is 'temorarily' down :mad:

It starts off that way (USD) but you are directed ti the Dutch site for actual payment (Euros) and that's where you get nailed for the 20% vat.

The server is probably redirecting because it is detecting that the connecting IP address (your IP address) is located in Canada. It's the same setup that some US sites use to block videos of TV shows from those of us not in the US.

I want to sign up for the service soon and I do NOT want to pay in Euros or that silly 20% tax. I'll probably try using a proxy server, something like anchorfree, so that way the server thinks I'm in the US. I'll also avoid the bad exchange rate on my credit card by using a USD credit card, but if I didn't have that, it's still better than paying in Euros plus some bogus European tax.

I think you have to have an address when you check out however. I hope I can use my Canadian address because I don't feel like bothering those I know south of the border to use theirs.

I'll probably try using a proxy server, something like anchorfree, so that way the server thinks I'm in the US.
Please make sure to let us know how you made out once you get you credit card statement with the charges on it.
Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, went ahead and did it. I kept getting errors when trying to process, even with a legit US address, so I ended up getting stuck paying in the bloody Euro. At least the VAT was already in the price, and not tacked on afterwards, even though I should not have to be paying some European tax in the first place. Ended up coming out to $81 and change after conversion for 5 map updates (current map update plus 4 additional, equaling 5 maps).

I seriously don't get why I have to pay in a currency that I never deal in on at least a semi-frequent basis. As a Canadian, I should not have to be paying for anything in Euros unless I'm on vacation in Europe. If they do not want to maintain a Canadian store, at least redirect us to the US store instead; at least I deal with USD on a semi-regular basis and could have used a US credit card to at least get a better rate on the conversion.

Is there anything we can do to get TomTom to open their Canadian store that has been closed for such a long time so that they can "update and improve" it? Do they really hold us in that much contempt that they pretend that we don't even exist? What the hell is there that they have to "update and improve?" Obviously the US and European stores are not down to update and improve, so what gives? It doesn't take much effort to take the code you have already and make the slight modifications.

Their Canadian map store has never worked.

You can try sending an email to the president of TomTom-North America and complain about it. I tried and didn't even get a courtesy of a reply.

His email address is: (e-mail address removed) as far as I know.

Ask a Question