Can I buy a 2X model to use in Australia?

G'day,
I am looking at purchasing a Go 2535 TM but was also looking at getting the GO2505.
Can you advise me on which would be the better one to get.
I am a first time Tom tom user and don't know too much about them except from what I have read on copparison sites for the 2505.
Can I buy one from Amizon.com and have it shipped to Australia and down load Australian maps via the PC or do the maps need to be loaded first.
I have sent a message to Amizon a couple of days ago asking if they will ship DownUnder and have not received a response yet.
Is there a better/cheaper place to buy them from to be sent to Australia with the maps loaded.
What is the difference between TM and LIVE.

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

Cheers

Last edited:
Welcome to TTF.

I'm going to answer your questions with a simple reply.

Forget it.

Here's why............

None of the newer models running on what is referred to as Navcore application 10X (and that includes 1X, 2X, Via, Start 20 and Go 800 models) are capable of having any maps installed other than updates to those initially coming with the unit.

TomTom for over a year has been trying to figure out how to do this and has yet to come up with a solution.

Will they? Oh, probably if they don't go broke from the loss of millions in revenue by not being able to sell maps for their units. But the question is when...........

For what it's worth, the difference between the two models you asked about is essentially a different speech engine for the 2535 model than that used in the 2505.

The 'M' designation is for included lifetime maps but that is ONLY for North American models.

LIVE models have an imbedded sim card getting information from cell towers for LIVE traffic (much faster and current than the traffic information gotten by units using a rds-tmc antenna for the traffic). And Australia does not have LIVE services so a LIVE model imported wouldn't work anyway.

Think your best bet would be the Go 1050 World model or, for just a model with a map of Australia, the Via 180 Australia.

Thanks DHN for all the info, guess that is what I get for living DownUnder. Get 2/5 of not very much. Obviously Tom tom doesn't recognise too much outside of North America, Europe and even Mexico gets a mention. I suppose we just don't have the people to support the effort.
So basically you are telling me that these models won't work here because they don't have the maps for the later models and the support to back them up.

Thanks again, I'll have to keep looking and referring back for assistance.

Cheers

Thanks DHN for all the info, guess that is what I get for living DownUnder.

Not really... We are ALL in the same boat with these new models. For some reason TT cannot work out how to get any different maps on them, so I cannot add a US map to my European model and the American guys here cannot add Europe either.

It's a mess, but you're not alone.

Waht about dhn's suggestions of a 1050 World Traveller Edition or an Australian Via?

Well, went down to the shop today to purchase the TT GO 1050 Worldwide as suggested and was informed by the clerk that the TT GO2050 LIVE is being released shortly DownUnder so put my name down for one and they will ring as soon as they get them in. Thanks for all your help, what a great 4um.

Questions: 1. How long will the GO2050 last on its battery.
2. I am a bus driver and my routes change, can I put a selected rout into the TT, that is street by street. (prolly asking a lot here).
3. Can you suggest some links on this 4um that I should read to get this up and running well from the get go.
4. I have been offered Extended Warranty by the supplier stating that there is some issues with TT units when downloading map updates. Is this true, can this be resolved, am I being ripped off with this warranty. I would like to update the maps and unit about every 2 years, is this a good option or should it be done more/less frequently.
5. and any suggestions you could have as to the running of this unit or would I be better off getting the GO1050 WW rather than the GO2050 LIVE.

I know I am asking a lot but I need to get this right because I will be using the unit for both of my jobs, bus and limo driver.

Thanks for all your help and assistance in this matter. I'm just a nosey newbie :wave: All help would be greatfully accepted.

Cheers

If you can read this thank a Teacher, if it's in english thank a Veteran.

1. How long will the GO2050 last on its battery

No TomTom models are meant to be used without a car charger. They can but it isn't the appropriate method. At best, brand new, maybe a couple of hours. Maybe.

2. I am a bus driver and my routes change, can I put a selected rout into the TT, that is street by street. (prolly asking a lot here).

None of the 1X, 2X, Via models support Itinerary Planning. You can (once a route is established) select one waypoint to travel by. There are planning preferences for things like fastest and shortest routes. If a city bus driver, do you not have an established route? And if a chartered bus driver, where would your travels take you?

3. Can you suggest some links on this 4um that I should read to get this up and running well from the get go.

Any of the threads in this 1X, 2X forum might be useful to read. And just keep asking questions.

4. I have been offered Extended Warranty by the supplier stating that there is some issues with TT units when downloading map updates. Is this true, can this be resolved, am I being ripped off with this warranty. I would like to update the maps and unit about every 2 years, is this a good option or should it be done more/less frequently.

There have been problems with map updates, etc. with models using Navcore 10X. I don't know how much an Extended warranty costs so have no idea what you consider a 'rip-off'. All TomTom units come with a 1-year warranty and you'll find out if your unit has issues when you update your map the first time using the Latest Map Guarantee. That'll come within 30-days of first use.

5. and any suggestions you could have as to the running of this unit or would I be better off getting the GO1050 WW rather than the GO2050 LIVE.

Without knowing the specs/cost of the 2050 LIVE, can't provide any input here.

If the shop is selling extended warranty policy based upon how bad a product is to update maps etc then I wouldn't purchase the device in the first place.

The PC interface for the newer TomTom units is still limitted in functionality, the inability to produce a full backup to your computer is the main reason I won't recommend these units.

No Backup and no way to access the device from Windows Explorer means you are at the mercy of TomTom for support whereas with earlier devices most errors could be fixed without recourse to TomTom CS - Mike

Ask a Question